Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By firewall2302
  • 1 Post By MAERSK
  • 1 Post By 5tephen
  • 1 Post By ShhhNoTears

I bought a matte 920 yesterday because the store only had black and said nobody in town had red. Today, while going to a different store for a charging stand I found a red 920 and exchanged for the color I wanted.

I thought I'd share that I have found the gloss finish 920 to be MUCH less slippery than the matte finish.

Just wanted to share since I feel much more comfortable with the grippy red gloss than the slippery matte black.
    Thanked by:
    metalchick719 and Usman Arif like this.

Yeah, I've read speculations on here that the glossy finish is "slippery." I held every color (except yellow) in-hand at the Microsoft store and the glossy finish didn't feel slippery at all. I didn't think the matte did either.

I agree, the glossy is 'stickier' than the matte, I tried both in the stores. I think it's because fingers stick better to the gloss. There was a noticeable difference between the two.

Of course the glossy is much less slippery than matte. It's simple friction physics.

Matte has a texture of an orange in a microscopic level (bumpy) where glossy one is smooth. Guess which one has more friction in your hands?

(My apologies, I'm drunk)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaichuke View Post
    Of course the glossy is much less slippery than matte. It's simple friction physics.

Matte has a texture of an orange in a microscopic level (bumpy) where glossy one is smooth. Guess which one has more friction in your hands?

(My apologies, I'm drunk)
    Similar example, it's why you don't install knobby winter tires to go driving on a race track.

Think of the glossy/matte finishes as tires and your finger as the ground.

It's okay drunk physicist, you're correct. Don't fall off the stool...
    ibbyj likes this.

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I purchased a matte black today from the AT&T store in Tucson, AZ. They had red and white in stock as well, and one of the salespeople had a yellow for his personal device. Grey was what I really wanted all along, and I just didn't like the way the glossy felt. The yellow is one gorgeous phone, though.
    metalchick719 likes this.

Global Posts
    2,094 Global Posts
    The matte 920 actually seems to be different than the matte 900. While the matte 900 has a sort of texture to it, the 920 seemed to be smooth now, but still different than glossy.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013

Can anyone try to wet their hands and try picking Lumia then?

I am worried that during summer conditions when hands are sweaty, I will drop it off
    Superboy Micah likes this.

I've a red one. I didnt like the gloss surface at first, but, it kinda grows on you. I like it now. :)
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    I was dead set against glossy until I tried them both out.

The truth is, if your hands are completely bone dry and free of oils, like when you get out of a swimming pool or hot tub after a long while and the phone is completely clean, then the matte finish is easier to grip firmly. Also if your hands are very cold and dry I believe this applies. I live in Florida though so this is never an issue. Also I think if your wearing gloves the glossy will slip right out of your hands (unless they are leather gloves)

However if your hand has any moisture/skin oils to it, the glossy will stick to your hand MUCH better than the matte finish does.

This is what made me finally decide to go with the glossy finish, which I thought I'd NEVER do. I wanted to go without a case on the phone so being able to get a good grip on it is key. I find the matte is actually pretty slippery because it won't adhere to your hand at all.

The only other exception to this would be if your hands are extremely greasy. If you eat some fried chick or apply suntan lotion and then grab a glossy phone it will probably fly right out of your hand.

So I'd say if you live in a moderate climate where you will rarely need winter gloves, the glossy is a good choice.

If you live in Canada, colder climates etc where your skin will often be cold and dry, I would think about the matte finish.

Hope that's helpful.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShhhNoTears View Post
    Can anyone try to wet their hands and try picking Lumia then?

I am worried that during summer conditions when hands are sweaty, I will drop it off
    Nope it sticks to your hand quite well when wet/damp.

Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    I was dead set against glossy until I tried them both out.

The truth is, if your hands are completely bone dry and free of oils, like when you get out of a swimming pool or hot tub after a long while and the phone is completely clean, then the matte finish is easier to grip firmly. Also if your hands are very cold and dry I believe this applies. I live in Florida though so this is never an issue. Also I think if your wearing gloves the glossy will slip right out of your hands (unless they are leather gloves)

However if your hand has any moisture/skin oils to it, the glossy will stick to your hand MUCH better than the matte finish does.

This is what made me finally decide to go with the glossy finish, which I thought I'd NEVER do. I wanted to go without a case on the phone so being able to get a good grip on it is key. I find the matte is actually pretty slippery because it won't adhere to your hand at all.

The only other exception to this would be if your hands are extremely greasy. If you eat some fried chick or apply suntan lotion and then grab a glossy phone it will probably fly right out of your hand.

So I'd say if you live in a moderate climate where you will rarely need winter gloves, the glossy is a good choice.

If you live in Canada, colder climates etc where your skin will often be cold and dry, I would think about the matte finish.

Hope that's helpful.
    I went to a store today, and my hands were dry(not oily) and the glossy phone actually seemed to be a bit grippier to me. To me there wasn't a huge difference though, but I think I preferred the glossy, which may sway me from the Cyan.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlm1950 View Post
    I went to a store today, and my hands were dry(not oily) and the glossy phone actually seemed to be a bit grippier to me. To me there wasn't a huge difference though, but I think I preferred the glossy, which may sway me from the Cyan.
    Yeah I meant REALLY dry. Ordinarily most of us have at least a small amount of moisture on our hands.

The only time I noticed the glossy seeming a bit slippery was after I soaked in the hot tub for 20 minutes and had dried my hands, basically my hands were super dry and there was zero skin oils on them.

Global Posts
    2,546 Global Posts
    Hmh.. somehow worries about dropping the phone cos it's slippery sound a bit ridicilous. I've never dropped my phone due to the slipperyness (maybe I've had non-slippery phones, but I doubt it), it's always been something totally else.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Last edited by wutradition; 01-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Global Posts
    2,287 Global Posts
    Well, having just had a hands-on experience with both the white and black 920s at an AT&T store today, I have to say I far prefer the glossy kind. It's not that the matte don't look great, but I can see why people would say the glossy ones are grippier. Anyone who is a bit of a butterfingers would have issues with the matte 920s.