Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Is your black Lumia 920 getting too hot with poor battery life?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does both.

35 31.53%
  • It only gets hot.

10 9.01%
  • It only has bad battery life.

12 10.81%
  • My non-black Lumia 920 is fine.

17 15.32%
  • My BLACK Lumia 920 is totally fine.

37 33.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by riffraffy View Post
    I just went to settings> applications>background tasks and closed Drive Beta, without blocking it. Seems like it hangs on, if you have used it recently. My battery life has gone way up, and the phone is much cooler. Plus, I still have it available, if I need it. Just need to check that it has, in fact, closed, after you are done using it.

I'm guessing this happened to some of the tech reviewers also, as the battery portion of the various reviews was so mixed.

That being said, at least Nokia does label this a "beta" :)
    I believe that blocking background tasking on Nokia Drive Beta, only prevents the app from running in the background...so it will still be available for when and if needed.

But yep, I'm guessing Nokia is aware of this already, since this is still in beta release. :happy:
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    No problems at all here.

My phone gets *slightly* warm if I'm playing a game or streaming Netflix for a while, but it's nothing dramatic. Battery life is good, about the same as my 900 I'd say. Maybe a little bit better.

Hmm, well on a side note, after charging and restarting my phone it was showing 100% battery (Battery Saver shows 1 day 15 hours of charge left). I then played a game for about 15 minutes and did some random stuff on the phone. Eventually I blocked the "Halo Waypoint" background task, while the phone still showed 100% charge. I then let the phone sit for about 30 minutes (it's been off the charger for a total of 2.5 hours).

Now when I checked the Battery Saver it shows 95% battery life and shows 1 day 19 hours left on this charge.

I'm thinking the background tasks have a LOT to do with the battery life. I'd suggest blocking anything you don't want/need running all the time.

My battery life is definitely not what it should be. I've barely used it today other than for a bunch of texting, and I'm at 72% with five hours left reported by Battery Saver and it's only 11:30 am. Not cool.
    Drive was never on my background tasks, but clicking on "Advanced" gives me a list of apps that can run in the background that I can't block. They are: AT&T U-verse Live TV, extras+info, Nokia Music, Weather Channel and WhatsApp.

One other issue might be the LTE radio being on all the time. AT&T seem to have removed the ability to toggle the "highest connection speed" available on the international versions of the Lumia 920. There are some workarounds on the web to enable this option (http://www.nok4us.com/2012/04/how-to-toggle-lte-onoff-on-your-nokia.html) for the Lumia 900, but Microsoft have changed this. Anybody figured out how to toggle LTE radio off?

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    Instead of uninstalling it, you could have tried just disabling location services
    yea, but I don't use it anyway. I've maybe used navigation once and didn't even have to then. Thanks though!! :)

Reading and writing on the Baconit and WPCentral apps for about twenty minutes left the top half of my 920 very warm. Only the top though, the bottom half is still cool to the touch.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    You see battery complaints with virtually every new smartphone now. Why? People download a ****load and apps and allow all of them to run in the background and use "my location". I blocked Nokia Drive from running in the back within the first 6 minutes of owning the phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillrider View Post
    has anyone used their mac to charge their 920? I tried using my MBA to charge it tonight and after an hour it barely moved 5 %. 5-6 hours after a 100% charge, I hope after a few days that changes.
    I only use USB to "top off" the battery. It's much much slower to charge than AC power.

Now if my damn fatboy charging pillow would just get here. :dry

Quote Originally Posted by emergenic View Post
    Blocked Nokia Drive Beta as someone suggested, and have seen an immediate improvement in battery life, and device temperature.
    If you are having issues, I highly recommend this as a temp fix, until Nokia can push an update to ressolve this.

Thanks to whoever suggested blocking Nokia Drive! :-]
    I had a similar experience- both battery life and and temperature have improved dramatically. I was on a 90 minute phone call today and felt no where near the amount of heat I felt yesterday when making calls. Big relief!

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I've noticed similarly poor battery life (about five hours) for the past couple of days that I've owned my red 920. I'm definitely taking it with a grain of salt because I've been downloading tons of apps and podcasts over 4G. The phone does get hot, but not too hot to touch. I'll see how it processes over the next week before looking to replace it.
    Microsoft Store employee; opinions are mine.

I'm on the Twitters.

Found out what the battery issue was. NOKIA DRIVE+.......ugh it doesn't close unless you force close it. I kind of miss not having to manually close anything, this isn't android!!!!!

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    Found out what the battery issue was. NOKIA DRIVE+.......ugh it doesn't close unless you force close it. I kind of miss not having to manually close anything, this isn't android!!!!!
    It's been mentioned dozens of times now on this forum and several times in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    it runs in the background, it's a feature so that you can set your destination and then play music or whatever and the app continues to follow your route give directions without being the app on top.

Useful thread - I've also see about 5 hours, so I just blocked the Nokia Dive app. Will see if it helps tomorrow.

I assume I'll need to unblock it if I want it to navigate in the background when I AM using it?

Quote Originally Posted by e24mpwr View Post
    Useful thread - I've also see about 5 hours, so I just blocked the Nokia Dive app. Will see if it helps tomorrow.

I assume I'll need to unblock it if I want it to navigate in the background when I AM using it?
    To clarify, even with it blocked as long as the app is open it will work normally.

However, with it blocked it will not work in the background when you open a 2nd app (at least this is how I understand it).

Personally I don't see myself ever using the Nokia Drive App and another app at the same time. Actually, I never really use voice-navigation anyway, it's easier to memorize the directions from something like bing maps on my PC and then just drive there without relying on my phone. :)

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Count mine as one that seems to be fixed by blocking nokia drive. Unplugged it before going to sleep last night just to test it on idle & woke up to ~97%. It's since lasted most of the day with moderate use, ~ 40% left at 5pm. Not stellar, but I'll be happy with it if stays like this. Yesterday I thought I'd just bought another evo4g.
    Got my Cyan 920 on Friday. Immediately had overheating issue while syncing email during first setup. Got super hot at the top, battery drained very quickly. I had turned on Nokia Drive Beta + for just a minute to check it out then didn't use it again. No more heat or battery issues until tonight when I plugged it into my computer to move some video files onto my computer through the file explorer. Phone got very hot at the top and actually started losing battery life even though it showed to be charging (plugged into my laptop). I did not have any apps running intensive processes or syncing/uploading going. I turned off background services for Nokia Drive Beta + (though I hadn't opened it since that initial opening to check it out) then I turned it off and back on and it stopped the overheating and it began to cool. But then I couldn't connect to phone or internet services even though it showed 4 bars of LTE. Turned it off and on again and everything seemed to be working fine, then it began heating up again. Just removed it from my laptop and it is now plugged into the wall charger that came in the phone box (USB). This is unacceptable for a new phone. I had been using a Black Nokia Lumia 900 for several months before upgrading and using Nokia Drive frequently. Nokia needs to release a fix ASAP. I put in a ticket to customer support and will update when they email back.

**And the GPS icon is rarely on as I've RARELY used any mapping, GPS features since I've owned the 920 so I'm thinking there are more issues than GPS running secretly.
    Last edited by Malcolm Clement; 11-11-2012 at 10:27 PM. Reason: more details

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    how do you force close an app? Is it just blocking an app in background tasks? Here's how my phone did with light IE browsing and using twitter off and on . that was it.
    http://sdrv.ms/SdjZVs

today, when I was playing with ebay on my phone, my 920 is really hot and lost a lot of battery power. I found WP8 has a icon on the top when GPS is activated, which indicates GPS was running somehow. it looks like it caused by some unknown app which is using GPS. Need to find out what app is using GPS ( I blocked NOkia Drive + background process already ).

Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by downhillrider View Post
    how do you force close an app? Is it just blocking an app in background tasks? Here's how my phone did with light IE browsing and using twitter off and on . that was it.
    http://sdrv.ms/SdjZVs
    Did you have Nokia Drive running in the background?

I'm having horrible problems with my red 920. Battery depletes super fast, had it fully charged before I went to bed, woke up about 6 hours later with it at 20% (pic here https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...Mbvn98uD4rypC8 ). Same thing today, left the house with 50% power, within 3 hours I was at battery critical. Phone also gets hot real quick as well, and I also suffer from a shaky vibrate motor. I love the phone, but these things are killing it for me, as much as I love the phone, I can't make this my daily driver if it's going to be like this. I'm still trying to decide if when I exchange it I want to get a blue or another red, so I'm going to tough it out the next few days. and make sure I have nokia drive totally off.

And perhaps this may be part of the problem, this is what I saw in battery saver when I first unboxed the phone.

Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantWade View Post
    Did you have Nokia Drive running in the background?
    No, Nokia Drive + Beta has been blocked for a couple of days now,

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I haven't done any standardized testing when it comes to the battery draining, but I purchased a black 920 over the weekend (my wife got a white one), and have been having issues with battery life and heat as well. Like very warm, almost hot to the touch on the back near the camera and on the screen. That was under heavy operation, downloading and setting up the phone. Still, I do not think that that's top-notch engineering, as a device should never get that hot.

Since 1/3 of the people polling said that there 920s are fine, I will be exchanging mine today for another unit. If I get the same behavior, I will be returning the 920 indefinitely. I don't think that as consumers, that we should be compensating here. It's more of a mental drain than anything to have your phone on the verge of dying or losing battery constantly, because in this day and age a lot of our livelihood exists in that little piece of technology. Why should I have the screen at the lowest brightness all the time, no background tasks running, no bluetooth, no tap and send, no location on just to get through the day? I don't want to have to think about these things, and that's what makes me miss how most Apple devices are: not having to worry about battery life or toggling settings to making the percentage higher, or battery saver modes, it just worked well and worked long enough.

I'm not sure if this is a color issue or just a phone issue, because my wife's white one has been having better performance than mine (but there are others on here reporting similar problems with other colors as well).

Will look into the Nokia Drive fix. So far out of the box first day off of full 100% charge phone shut down by 3pm. My day started picking it off the plate at 8am. So 7 hours. Barely used it. Today same issue. Checked in morning at 100% charge battery said i have 2 days and 7+ hours left on the charge. At 12:45 after just reading few emails and updating contact info for 2 people phone was at 52%. That's ridiculous. I actualy like this phone, the way it looks and the OS is something new and quite cool. I hope this gets resolved since don't feel like returning it. I don't see any other phone on the market that i like, but battery needs to hold a charge otherwise its a paperweight.

I also read that the battery life between the US version and Euro one is totally different. Due to ATT installing all their garbage on the phone the reduction is quite significant. 400h standby for the euro version down to 320hr for the ATT phone. Personally i feel that ATT should give people a choice whether they want their junk apps on the phone or not. Hoping that some firmware will fix this otherwise may need to return this back to ATT in next week.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast