Is there a quick way to put phone on silent?

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Just use the volume rocker and on the top right you would see the "bell" symbol.. just tap on it and it will go to vibrate, tap again... it will be in ring. You can toggle between them with just a tap.

Works in Lock Screen mode as well.

Hypetrak

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is how I've been doing it.

While screen is Locked>Hit lock button>hit volume button> then gives you option to switch to vibrate.

Hope there's a better way!

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there a quick way to put your phone on silent or vibrate when going into a meeting etc.

I'm new to WP, but the way I've been doing it is by pressing the power button to get to the lock screen (of the screen is dark), then pressing up or down on one of the volume buttons. The current volume appears on the screen; you can then hold down the volume down button and the phone will go to silent mode at 0, or you can tap where it says "ring" on the top right corner. Tapping the "ring" icon repeatedly will toggle sound on and off.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to WP, but the way I've been doing it is by pressing the power button to get to the lock screen (of the screen is dark), then pressing up or down on one of the volume buttons. The current volume appears on the screen; you can then hold down the volume down button and the phone will go to silent mode at 0, or you can tap where it says "ring" on the top right corner. Tapping the "ring" icon repeatedly will toggle sound on and off.

There's now way to set a WP8 device to 'silent' using the volume buttons and the volume drop-down that appears. When you turn the volume to '0' it automatically puts the phone on 'vibrate'.

You have to go into the settings menu and turn vibrate 'off', at which point turning the volume to '0' will put the phone in silent.

I have no clue why Microsoft didn't just include a simple 'silent' option from the volume drop-down menu, it seems like a no brainer.

anon(157335)

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There's now way to set a WP8 device to 'silent' using the volume buttons and the volume drop-down that appears. When you turn the volume to '0' it automatically puts the phone on 'vibrate'.

You have to go into the settings menu and turn vibrate 'off', at which point turning the volume to '0' will put the phone in silent.

I have no clue why Microsoft didn't just include a simple 'silent' option from the volume drop-down menu, it seems like a no brainer.

Correct, I have vibrate turned off. In that case it does go silent.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I just wish you could set it to vibrate while set to silent without it also set to vibrate while it's set to ring.

I'm kind of confused by your statement but I think I know what you're talking about. I wish that little button in the corner would cycle between ringer (+ vibrate if you have it on), vibrate only, and silent. Because sometimes I don't just want vibrate, I actually want it to be silent, but then I have to go all the way into settings to turn off vibrate.

I should go see if someone suggested the feature on the WP suggestion site.

it blows my mind why we don't have ringer profiles....they were in WM6.5 It is a ridiculous situation.

You mean like the ones BlackBerries, old school Nokia's and Sony Ericssons had?

mapleleafs89

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 yesterday. I have a habit of putting my BB to silent before bed. Love the phone and OS but can't believe there are no profiles, let alone not an option to put it to silent using the volume rockers.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 yesterday. I have a habit of putting my BB to silent before bed. Love the phone and OS but can't believe there are no profiles, let alone not an option to put it to silent using the volume rockers.

I personally keep vibrate off... So all I do is hit the volume button up or down and tap the sound button in the top-right corner to mute it.

Easy enough

ajfish

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there any app available which would give you the profile thing. I have come from a very old Nokia phone in which you could configure all sorts of different profiles, from Outdoor to Watching TV, Totally Silent, A Lot Quieter etc.
I can't believe that you don't have this option on the Lumia 520.
AJ

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site

there is an option. Hold down volume rocker down while on the lock screen, and go to 0/30 and your phone is on vibrate or silent depending on if you have this vibrate setting turned on or not.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Or: Press the volume rocker once. Tap on "vibrate & ring" once and it will show "vibrate". To turn on the ringer, do the same to change "vibrate" to "ring & vibrate".

Last edited:

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Also really wish we didn't have to go into settings to switch between vibrate and silent. I do this every night to turn off vibrate, then again in the morning to turn it back on. Would be nice to use the volume rocker to do that.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You could, just press the volume control all the down to go 0/10 and it goes silent mode. When u press up again, it will go to ring vibrate mode

polomint

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Vibrate will only be turned on when you go to volume 0 *if* you have vibrate enabled in the settings.... That's how it works on my 920 at least, :)

Shaeed

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I have a Lumia 640. I was also puzzled when I tried to locate a proper 'old skewl' Silent Mode as the vibration option still disturbs my sleep when the phone is vibrating on my pedestal next to my head. There isn't one. However a suitable alternative is... When you press the volume keys to you see what level the volume is on, above the number (1-10 on my Lumia) you'll see a drop down arrow. Click on it and you'll see an option that says Vibration On/ Vibration Off. Click on it for a speedy way to reach the Vibration On/Off option without having to toggle through the menu to reach the Settings application...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb