What's everyone using for phone insurance?

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to go with no insurance. If anything catastrophic happens I'll get a Nexus 4.

I am going to check out the 40% off Squaretrade black Friday deal though.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I did. Just as with my Lumia 900. And it's not because I'm clumsy with it, it's more for the off chance it would ever get stolen or I lose it (happened once... It sucked). Better safe than sorry. I look at it like this.

Lets say I don't use it over the life of the contract. That's $240 I gave to AT&T. Okay, that's fine. But let's say I use it in.... Oh, the 9th month... Ills have already spent $90, then the $100 deductible makes it $190. That's a lot easier to deal with than $450 to replace it outright. It just makes sense to me.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I thought when I bought my Lumia 900 they said the deductible was $199 but that it could go down later. $200 deductible sounds crazy to me. What is the deductible on a 920 through AT&T?

kebnt

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to debate this as well.

The nice thing about the AT&T insurance is that it covers if you lose your phone or if it's stolen. The bad thing is that it is $6.99 per month + a $125 or $199 deductible (depending on what tier they place the 920 in) for each occurrence.

Squaretrade is just an extended warranty. The 40% off seems pretty nice though, but they also have a $99 deductible for all repairs (lost or stolen phones not covered). Would pick this if you don't think you may need to get the phone serviced too many times after the warranty is up.

Microsoft Assure is an extended warranty as well and costs $99, with a $50 deductible, unless defects in materials or from normal wear and tear (I'm assuming the normal wear and tear and defects and materials would cover you if the touchscreen doesn't work too well or if any of the buttons lose their responsiveness/functionality, as opposed to dropping it and there being a cracked screen, which would require a deductible?). Also, lost or stolen phones aren't covered under the MS plan.

AT&T Insurance - get if you are one of those people who occassionally loses their phone

Squaretrade - get if you don't think you'll need much service beyond the normal warranty but would like that extra coverage to bring you into your next equipment upgrade

MS Assure - get if you anticipate having to get your phone serviced a couple of times outside of the normal warranty.

I think I may be leaning towards the MS Assure plan, as it seems to cover normal wear and tear (if buttons don't work).

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
920 is in the highest tier, they quoted me a $199 deductible. On top of $9.99/mo x 24 months that is highway freaking robbery. Pained me to walk out of there with no phone on Friday but I couldn't swallow that.

Got my 920 at best buy, no free charge plate but 2 yr premium geek squad protection plan was only $169.99 ($70 less than ATT, more than covering the charge plate) AND their replacement deductible is $0.00.

We have a winner!!

bessel

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Do not insurance anything that you can afford its loss, because insurance companies will price it such that they are making at least a 50% gross margin. I know the industry and cell phone insurance is a cash cow (for the industry companies).

Just curious what (if any) insurance you guys opted for with the phone.

tlo07

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I like SquareTrade because it covers accidental damage which is most likely what would happen to my phone. I think with the 40% off it will be around $75 for two years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs