My Review on Lumia 920

chfhyh

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought the white Lumia 920 on 11/9 morning. So far, it's been 2 days. Here is my take on it.

I will talk about battery first.

The good:
The phone consumes little power when idle. I just sit through the new 007 movie which is about 2.5 hours. The battery dropped 3%, from 40% to 37%. I have three background tasks running, and they are Weather, Nokia Drive and Sina Weibo (Chinese twitter app). I also have two push email accounts getting emails. Therefore, I think the standby performance is very good.
The battery can get you through one day with moderate to heavy use for sure. It seems to hold up well with web browsing and other phone tasks, which I was glad to find out.

The bad:
Some video streaming apps seem to be challenging for the phone. I am not sure if it is just the problem with the apps themselves or not. These apps are probably old WP7 apps written in Silverlight. When I run these apps, the phone gets really hot and I see significant battery drain. Therefore, it might not work out if you plan to watch online videos. However, this is just my experience.

Next up the hardware

The phone looks absolutely beautiful and it feels great in hand. Nokia did not lie when they say improvement over L900. It just looks and feels so much better and stronger than other phones. Great job, Nokia!

It is a little heavy, but not a problem for me. To be honest, I think the weight is value added to the premium feel of the phone. The size is comparable to other flagship Androids. I have big hands, so there is no issue what so ever with one hand operation. However, women with smaller hands might has some trouble using it with one hand.

The radios works great, the buttons are rock solid. The best part is the screen? Why The Verge did not give it a 10 is beyond me? The earpiece, mic and speaker also work very well.

The camera is not great. I think N8 outperforms it in certain situations. However, it is outstanding in lowlight and the OIS is just so sweet!!! Again, I think it is the most innovative camera in the market right now, if not the greatest.

When it comes to hardware? Nokia is at the same level with Apple in quality. Nokia beats all manufactures in design and innovation.

Finally, the software.

In general, WP8 seems to have more crashes than WP7. Sometimes, I see some choppy performances too. It also seems to have some issues with videos. MS has a lot of rooms for improvement, and I hope they do it ASAP.

The addition of Lense is great. The Room function is good too but it does not work with WP7 devices very well. Kids Corner can be used as a guest account, which is also great.

Nokia location software is great. I am a person with little sense of directions. It has so far workout perfectly for me no matter where I am, the US, China, Europe, you name it.

Overall,

Great job on the hardware!!! My only wish for the hardware would be having the S4 8960T with Adreno 320 instead of the 225 on the S4 8960.

As of software, MS has a job to do. Please do it fast. I understand this is an overhaul of WP7, but the competition already has a head start. Android is no more the slow power hog, and iOS can get 10 hours of Video with a modest battery. The efficiency and performance of WP8 needs to be refined. Please, do it ASAP.

I hold faith in WP because the innovations of Nokia and MS. Make it happen, guys.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Very fair and I agree 100% though I haven't had any trouble with streaming video or any crashes (aside from the Kindle app which needs to be updated for WP8)

I watched an episode of Cosmos on Netflix last night in bed in fact and it worked fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos