Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Stopped at two corporate stores on the way to my parents house for holidays. 4/4 display lumias made the crackling noise on text chimes.

Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I have also noticed this.
    Mine has the crackle at the beginning of text chimes. Music and ringers are fine though. Odd.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacchus1313 View Post
    Mine has the crackle at the beginning of text chimes. Music and ringers are fine though. Odd.
    Same. I find it interesting that sometimes I can go about 15 text chimes before the random crackle. Its really unpredictable and very subtle. My friend says he can't even hear it in the OPs video.
    I have the same issue with my lumia 920... it is very frustrating!
    summarizing:

- notifications are crackling through the speaker
    - notification are not crackling through the headphone
    - in phone music is crackling through the speaker
    - in phone music is NOT crackling through the headphone
    - streaming music is not crackling
    - metrotube videos are not crackling
    - taptitude game is not crackling (also tried other games)
    - xbox extras is crackling a lot

I don't know what to think about!
    It seem a software related issue to my eyes!

I don't understand why some people have not the same issue!

What we can do??? wait for an update or bring the phone to the assistance?
    Last edited by Leonardo Acquisti; 11-24-2012 at 03:44 AM.

FYI only.

I have a launch day black 920 purchased through ATT. US Model.

I have had no crackling sounds. I downloaded the xbox extras apps and the sounds seem fine to me at 25/30 level.

Hope this helps you track down the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    Just picked up a 920 at my local AT&T store. They didn't have any 8x to compare and I'm impulsive. Lol. Well going through the ringtones I noticed that they stutter for a split second and crackles if its a long ring tone. Doesn't matter what volume. Happens every text message also. Music doesn't crackle but just doesn't sound good. My Samsung Focus sounds better.

Anyone else have the same? It also rattles when it vibrates.
    did you solve the crackling sound issue???

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Thought I'd jump in with my $.02.

We have two 920s in my house, both at&t branded. My SO's is white, mine is red. I tried playing sounds on both.

The white one plays sounds perfectly, every time. The red one crackles intermittently on notification sounds and Xbox Music. I do not hear the crackle with Xbox Music over a headphone jack, but I do hear it from notification sounds over the headphone jack.

I did a reset on my phone and the crackling seems to be gone; it's not crackling on anything anymore.

My speakers are okay. I just wish that Nokia would make a sound enhancer app like HTC did.

Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Ok so today I finally noticed dust in my camera so I returned. Same sound crackle. It is super subtle but still there again. Meh. This stores displays all crackled. OP and all affected, we just have good ears. I'm convinced. Even the friend who claimed his was perfect finally came over and it did it.

Oh I also notice after a reset it takes a lot of chimes before it starts the glitch. Meh. Not the worst problem but I'm convinced its not hardware.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uscdigital View Post
    Ok so today I finally noticed dust in my camera so I returned. Same sound crackle. It is super subtle but still there again. Meh. This stores displays all crackled. OP and all affected, we just have good ears. I'm convinced. Even the friend who claimed his was perfect finally came over and it did it.

Oh I also notice after a reset it takes a lot of chimes before it starts the glitch. Meh. Not the worst problem but I'm convinced its not hardware.
    Mine was working fine all day, then tonight it started up again. I tested the white one, and it's doing it, also.

It definitely seems like it's software not hardware, because all of the ones at my local at&t store do it, also.

Otherwise, everything with the phone is fantastic. I hope we see a fix for this soon, but I'd rather live with my audio sometimes crackling than being told I can't hold my phone a certain way without losing signal. :P
    I contacted technical support nokia in Italy.
    They called me and told me that the problems reported will be resolved with a software update in the coming months!

I assume that they refer to the same update that will solve the random reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    On my Lumia 900, a volume level of 15 was loud enough, but for this phone, I want to put it to 25.
    Did you happen to ever own a Lumia 800? Since the volume levels from 1 to 10 are more than enough :P

Global Posts
    2,090 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jusatin View Post
    Did you happen to ever own a Lumia 800? Since the volume levels from 1 to 10 are more than enough :P
    Nope, only the Lumia 900. I just compared it again, and even 1/30 on the Lumia 900 is "loud" compared to the Lumia 920. With the TV on in the same room at a moderate volume level, with the phone in my hand, I can still hear the Lumia 900's ringtone at 1/30, while 1/30 on the 920 might as well be zero. Even 10/30 on the 920 sounds quieter than 1/30 on the 900!

It seems like Nokia adjusted the volume--while the Lumia 900 even at low volumes was still loud, the Lumia 920 is actually quiet at low volumes, a little too quiet in my opinion. But what's annoying is while it seems Nokia adjusted the volume of the ringtones and notifications, the volume of certain things has seemed to stay the same. For example, I usually leave the volume level at 20 so I can hear the ringtone, but at that volume, the keypad tone when you're dialing a phone number is too loud compared to the volume of the ringtone. Something else I noticed: The speakerphone on the Lumia 920 seems to be quieter compared to the Lumia 900, but again, the keypad tone with the speakerphone on is insanely loud. So on the 920, the speakerphone on 10/10 is too quiet for me, but at the same time the keypad sounds are too loud. On the Lumia 900, the speakerphone on 10/10 is plenty loud, and the keypad tones are pretty quiet.

Lastly, I'm still having the crackle/pop problem again. Sometimes it happens with ringtones or notifications, usually when dialing a number, and also with the keyboard sounds when I'm typing a lot. I tried multiple hard resets, reflashed the ROM in Nokia Care Suite and it still happens. Seems like a software problem to me.
    Phone History (hopefully in order): Samsung SGH-D407 > AT&T (HTC) Tilt > Sony Ericsson W580 > Blackberry Curve 8900 > Sony Ericsson C901 > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Blackberry 9700 > iPhone 3GS > Motorola Defy > Blackberry 9650 > iPhone 4 > Nokia E71 > Dell Venue Pro > HTC Titan > HTC Titan II > Lumia 900 + Samsung Galaxy Exhibit > Nokia Lumia 920 + Nokia Lumia 521 + Motorola RAZR V3xx
    Last updated: 05/13/2013
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinestars1z View Post
    Nope, only the Lumia 900. I just compared it again, and even 1/30 on the Lumia 900 is "loud" compared to the Lumia 920. With the TV on in the same room at a moderate volume level, with the phone in my hand, I can still hear the Lumia 900's ringtone at 1/30, while 1/30 on the 920 might as well be zero. Even 10/30 on the 920 sounds quieter than 1/30 on the 900!

It seems like Nokia adjusted the volume--while the Lumia 900 even at low volumes was still loud, the Lumia 920 is actually quiet at low volumes, a little too quiet in my opinion. But what's annoying is while it seems Nokia adjusted the volume of the ringtones and notifications, the volume of certain things has seemed to stay the same. For example, I usually leave the volume level at 20 so I can hear the ringtone, but at that volume, the keypad tone when you're dialing a phone number is too loud compared to the volume of the ringtone. Something else I noticed: The speakerphone on the Lumia 920 seems to be quieter compared to the Lumia 900, but again, the keypad tone with the speakerphone on is insanely loud. So on the 920, the speakerphone on 10/10 is too quiet for me, but at the same time the keypad sounds are too loud. On the Lumia 900, the speakerphone on 10/10 is plenty loud, and the keypad tones are pretty quiet.

Lastly, I'm still having the crackle/pop problem again. Sometimes it happens with ringtones or notifications, usually when dialing a number, and also with the keyboard sounds when I'm typing a lot. I tried multiple hard resets, reflashed the ROM in Nokia Care Suite and it still happens. Seems like a software problem to me.
    +1

Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CamiKitti View Post
    My speakers are okay. I just wish that Nokia would make a sound enhancer app like HTC did.
    There is, has been since the launch.
    It's in the settings.

I have a lumia 822 and it does the same exact thing, exchanged it only for it to do the same thing of course. Pretty lame, i'm not very techy, a software update would fix a sound malfunction?

My volume is at 20/30 and its loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by leokat1002 View Post
    I have a lumia 822 and it does the same exact thing, exchanged it only for it to do the same thing of course. Pretty lame, i'm not very techy, a software update would fix a sound malfunction?
    Hi,
    a software update it CAN fix a sound malfunction!
    Audio files are decoded via software and instead of dedicated hardware chipset.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Just to let you guys know. Just updated my ATT Lumia 920 with the Portico OTA update and it fixed the sound for me! So relieved right now. I can actually turn my ringer on now. There are numerous other fixes as well. If you haven't yet, go into settings/phone update/ and grab it.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    Just to let you guys know. Just updated my ATT Lumia 920 with the Portico OTA update and it fixed the sound for me! So relieved right now. I can actually turn my ringer on now. There are numerous other fixes as well. If you haven't yet, go into settings/phone update/ and grab it.
    ...so when do us slogs with the 822 get this update....?

My volume on a new European 920 was far too low. I think it's because Nokia has to set the volume to EU regs for all music players to prevent hearing damage (I have had this problem with other MP3 players aswell). Soft reset (volume button + power button held down for 10secs) fixed it instantly.

The entire audio system is a mess. I wonder what those Dolby engineers who were called in to code the audio were doing. It s the worst sounding device I have ever had. All other windows phones sound better. Nokia better re write those sound algorithms.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123