My 920's audio/speakers are terrible?

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up a 920 at my local AT&T store. They didn't have any 8x to compare and I'm impulsive. Lol. Well going through the ringtones I noticed that they stutter for a split second and crackles if its a long ring tone. Doesn't matter what volume. Happens every text message also. Music doesn't crackle but just doesn't sound good. My Samsung Focus sounds better.

Anyone else have the same? It also rattles when it vibrates.

huppy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My 820 does the same thing. The best example i can find is in the Xbox Extras app, as you navigate around it plays a sound each page change which crackles badly each time.

Text message alerts do it too. The HTC 8x doesn't crackle, its something phone related.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Mine is amazing.. And is the loudest phone speaker I've e er had. No complaints what so ever.

Same here. The new ringtones Nokia had comissioned from an orchestra sound amazing. Loud too, used it as my alarm clock this morning and scared the **** out of myself. :p

But yeah, no problems with my speaker or sound. My phone sounds great.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Mine is sort of weird. I'm only having problems with ringtones/notifications being quiet. Sometimes the ringtone crackles in the beginning, and with notifications, you know that sort of humming sound you get from speakers when you turn them all the way up without actually playing anything? After the notifications sound, I hear that humming noise for a few seconds, as if it were part of the recording for the notification sound. It's like the ringtones on my phone were recorded quietly or something.

On my Lumia 900, a volume level of 15 was loud enough, but for this phone, I want to put it to 25.

Music on my 920 seems fine though, volume is perfect. I already did a hard reset too, makes me wonder if my firmware is messed up or something.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I replaced the phone with another 920 and same thing. It does it through the headphones too so i know its a software issue. An easy way to test it is download the Xbox extras app stated above. Horrible static. Or have someone text you like 4 or 5 messages. It does it at random. I really hope this gets fixed in a firmware update. How can we bring this to the attention of Nokia? Cause AT&T said because its not defective hardware that I can't keep exchanging the phone because they will all do the same thing.

Daegalus

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
FYI, Xbox Extras is no longer really needed because its now built into the Games hub. Not sure why you need the extras. I am not sure it was even updated to fully support WP8

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've never used it myself as I don't play Xbox games. But it's simply the best app to download to test if your audio is distorted. So if you have a 920 how about taking a second to download it and report back something useful that can help us figuring out if this is a common issue or not.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Finally got my Lumia 920 and have been happy with the sound quality myself.

I'm a owner of Lumia 800, iPhone 4S, Nokia 808 PV and GS2. Sound quality via 3.5mm is great (testing with Denon AH-C710 and Sennheiser IE7), maybe not as good as 808 PV, but then i haven't ever owned phone or MP3 player that can match it.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Is your 920 an AT&T branded phone? Besides music do your ringtones or alerts sound fine also? Because music sounds ok for the most part, its the short bursts of sounds for messages/emails that it distorts.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Is your 920 an AT&T branded phone? Besides music do your ringtones or alerts sound fine also? Because music sounds ok for the most part, its the short bursts of sounds for messages/emails that it distorts.

Nope, mine is the global version.

Ringtones sound fine, only received one message and didn't notice anything unusual as i have had the phone for some hours only.

Will listen to that speaker more closely. I'am neurotic about the 3.5mm sound quality, but not about phone speakers (they just need to make some sound).

Daegalus

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
My point was, that Xbox Extras might be written using restricted APIs and other shenanigans that Microsoft can allow for themselves. It is probably doing weird things that it shouldn't be doing on WP8. It is just an incompatible app. All its functionality was put into the Games hub, so they never updated it to WP8 compatibility.

But to confirm your findings, I do hear a small crackling sound when moving through the menus along with the normal sound. Other than that, no stuttering, no other problems, just the minor half second of crackle. And its only occasional, a good 90% of the time, I don't hear anything unusual.

Now for Ringtone and other sounds. I have 0 issues. I have my volume set to 15 and just played a whole bunch of ringtones, and my usual Calendar/Email sounds throughout the day. No problems.

I think its either an app issue, or a driver issue, but I dont think its hardware related.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Cool thanks for checking it out. I'm starting to think it's just AT&T related firmware or just happens at random. Not sure what ima do at this point.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster