My 920's audio/speakers are terrible?

Mike20PR

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine sounds overall bad in high volume. I went to the store to see if I needed an exchange but the display model I compared it too sounded the same. Im not talking about the Extras app since it could be the app but playing music and videos at 25-30 really kills the enjoyment of listening to it. My old L900 sounded way clearer. I really hope its software related and its fixed soon

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

huppy

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
FYI, Xbox Extras is no longer really needed because its now built into the Games hub. Not sure why you need the extras. I am not sure it was even updated to fully support WP8

The link in the games hub looks like it takes you into the Extras app. I don't think you can customise the avatar through the games hub without having the Extras app installed?

Either way the app is a good example of the stuttering/crackling.

Playing back the sms message ringtones also does it if you leave a couple if seconds between plays.

Daegalus

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
The link in the games hub looks like it takes you into the Extras app. I don't think you can customise the avatar through the games hub without having the Extras app installed?

Either way the app is a good example of the stuttering/crackling.

Playing back the sms message ringtones also does it if you leave a couple if seconds between plays.

Oh, i guess you are right. i saw the Tshirt Icon, and thought it was built in. Didn't know it actually took you to extras/opened it.

My apologies then.

danny725

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Is your 920 an AT&T branded phone? Besides music do your ringtones or alerts sound fine also? Because music sounds ok for the most part, its the short bursts of sounds for messages/emails that it distorts.

This is the exact problem that I have on my AT&T 920. Its the short burst of sounds for messages and emails. Also, when using the dial pad just randomly pressing number you can really hear the crackling from the speakers. When I use my headphones I can hear the same thing. So I think it's a software issue. Hopefully they can fix it soon. I would try to exchange mine but I got the yellow which is hard to find.

WPman2012

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Same problem started today, after 11 day of using the 920.
The music plays just fine but all the sounds notifications and game sounds are garble and very loud.
Is this a hardware issue ? Do I need to return the phone or does a hard reset get rid of the problem ?

WPman2012

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE

Just tired the soft rest ( holding down the power button and the volume button at same time for 10 seconds)

Now the sounds and ringtones work fine and the game sound is normal!

Thanks for the quick fix and the information on this form.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've returned mine already and have the same issue. They said they won't exchange it again. I'm starting to think its AT&T firmware. I've posted 2 videos on YouTube for NokiaCareUS on twitter. They haven't got back to me. So if you can try them on twitter also and link my videos. They are titled Lumia 920 Audio Distortion. I really hope this gets solved in a firmware update. I've resulted to keeping my phone on vibrate. But that sounds like **** too. Not the experience I was hoping for.

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to add that I have this same issue. Glad I found this thread. That almost completely random text sound crackle gets under my skin so fast. It's one of those bugs that literally makes me cringe when I hear it (chalkboard effect). Ok, maybe it's not that bad but it's pretty bad.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
SO i recently swapped out my black Lumia for a cyan one. For those interested, here is a thread on that as well as a bit on MS Assure (warranty). Anyway, I listen to music over my phone speakers when taking a shower/bath after running since we don't have anything in the bathroom yet for speakers (Santa can you hear me?) While I wouldn't say the black one was bad, the cyan sounds much more crisp at full volume. I suppose this could be my imagination, but I don't think so, because I wasn't expecting or wanting to really hear a difference. I was comparing it to my iPhone 4S, which had the best speakers of any phone I have used, and I would say the 920 (now) is better. Long(er) story short, perhaps there are some manufacturing issues with the speaker...

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Listening to music is fine on my device. Its the short burst of sounds like receiving a message or email. Still waiting to hear back from Nokia support.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I do notice a slight static from the xtras app if I have the volume above 20. Everything else so far seems normal though as far as any other tones or sounds.

rapsfan50

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
i'm having a problem with the 920's audio as well...whenever i play metrotube videos and pretty much any other video, i get audio coming through the speakers just fine and i can adjust the volume..however whenever i go on xbox music to sample songs and the 30 second clip plays, i get no audio at all no matter what i do with the volume...is it because i don't have an xbox music subscription? will a hard/soft reset fix the problem?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss