MTP USB Device Failed

Eddie Lau

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Win7 64bit, I can't connect my Lumia 920 to my PC, it gets this error every time I plugged it in.
I have unplugged all my other USB drives, and plugging into differnt USB ports, restarted computer few times, but still can't have it connect properly.

USB Composite Device Ready to use
MTP USB Device Failed
WInUsb Device Ready to Use
WinUsb Device Ready to Use

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
USB seems kind of screwy. We have an iMac and I couldn't get it to connect for the life of me in OSX 10.8.1, however it will charge. I even downloaded the Windows Phone App to no avail. I dual boot into Window 8, and the first time I plug it in it didn't recognize the phone either. Then I plugged it in a little later and the Windows Phone app automatically launched (I never downloaded it, so it must have been preloaded or installed on its own). Anyway, I plan on using stuff through the file manager anyway. Dropped a few ringtones into the ringtones folder this way and it works a treat. I much prefer this form of syncing over what iOS forces you into. Android is ok too, but removable storage devices get kind of screwy. With Windows phone you don't have to change any settings... the folder just show up and you can continue using your phone in the interim. I like that, very much.

F15 Ranger

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Make sure your using the supplied cable. Also make sure your not using an old USB 1.X or low power USB port. I had the same issues with another cable. My system had low power USB on the front of the system but high power in the rear. I also loaded this program and it was able to solve my issues. My filesystem now comes up in explorer:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/windows-phone-app-for-desktop

Last edited:

Shefeeq Abubakr

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
None of the above worked for me. Win 7 Pro 64 bit with Lumia 920. No mass storage detected. Windows Phone desktop app does not recognize phone is connected. Tried all USB ports. Any suggestions?

DonnaxNL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
OMG, so much love for you guys!!! Never though the problem is cause because of the phone instead the pc.

Thank you~~!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05