Can you share data via wifi with the 920

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I thought I read that tethering was disabled with the Rogers 920. Is it available with the ATT version and/or unlocked phones?

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if I'm getting semantic here, but how will the network know if you are sharing your phone's data plan over a wifi connection?

I've owned a WP7 device, but never one with wifi sharing (wasn't that included in a very late release post-Mango?). My friend has one of the Android phones, and he just turns it on whenever I get bad reception and need to check something.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if I'm getting semantic here, but how will the network know if you are sharing your phone's data plan over a wifi connection?

I've owned a WP7 device, but never one with wifi sharing (wasn't that included in a very late release post-Mango?). My friend has one of the Android phones, and he just turns it on whenever I get bad reception and need to check something.

Well as far as the 920 on AT&T goes, you can't even turn it on unless you have it authorized through AT&T.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
All WP8 device have built-in internet sharing, unlike WP7 when each carrier updated specific firmware to enable it. However, when a phone is distributed by each carrier or what we call carrier exclusive, the carrier will configure it with their setting so that it could work out of the box if the customer has a tethering plan. For AT&T, there is some bug in the network setting, probably at the end of AT&T, that prevent some people using tethering, even they have that plan. For other case, because you want to use it in different carrier, you need to specific configure that match with the carrier config. But it will be depend on each phone. Some people manage to get it work, some cannot not. My suggest is that contact the carrier to see if they can provide you with configuration and make sure you have tethering plan.

Noob1ee

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
People with the BUILD dev Lumia 920 and the Rogers version of the Lumia 920 are reporting that they cannot get tether working. Hopefully there is a fix to this soon.

spincel

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
People with the BUILD dev Lumia 920 and the Rogers version of the Lumia 920 are reporting that they cannot get tether working. Hopefully there is a fix to this soon.

At XDA, there are couple people that have dev Lumia or Roger work with tethering. They somehow manage to receive update OTA to allow them to have tethering.

Ali Babba

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

I am on a BUILD dev 920 and the AT&T gophone plan (65/mo unlimited + 1GB) and I can't get tethering to work. I try and it says I need to contact AT&T.. Not entirely shocking since with GoPhones you can't even use their LTE network.. if only Tmobile had better coverage in my area.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
5 gb plan with ATT you can tether and also the mobile sharing plan.

I have mobile sharing so i was able to turn on tethering on my phone.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well as far as the 920 on AT&T goes, you can't even turn it on unless you have it authorized through AT&T.

and THAT right there is the biggest problem with Windows Phone and carriers. They should NOT be able to stop me from sharing if my service is NOT with them.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am on a BUILD dev 920 and the AT&T gophone plan (65/mo unlimited + 1GB) and I can't get tethering to work. I try and it says I need to contact AT&T.. Not entirely shocking since with GoPhones you can't even use their LTE network.. if only Tmobile had better coverage in my area.

That's very frustrating. If the ability is in the OS, I should be able to use it, especially if I have an unlocked phone. Hopefully someone figures out a workaround.

spikenet00

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's very frustrating. If the ability is in the OS, I should be able to use it, especially if I have an unlocked phone. Hopefully someone figures out a workaround.

To make matters worse, I have an ATT SIM with the Go Plan with data still active here in Canada. I was across the border yesterday and put SIM in my Galaxy Nexus phone and tethering works as does mms, just had to program the APN!

I then went to AT&T store and put same SIM card in an AT&T Nokia 920 and Tethering does NOT work, message to call AT&T. I say WTF??? So in Android phone, I can tether with the same sim card but in Windows Phone 8 I can't? The Salesperson at the store was like blank stare, he said I should call support :confused:

Very frustrating, to make matters worse. Back home here in Canada while at the Rogers store, inserting my TELUS SIM in the Rogers Lumia 920 which is unlocked from the get go, tethering and MMS do NOT work. Phone calls and data work fine.

I want to switch to WP8 but at what cost and frustration? I think I will stick with Android until this is solved. There is no way I am throwing money at this WP8 Corvette if the gas tank and side mirrors are missing and I can't get parts or no one to fix it!!! :mad:

Stefan L

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
ATT is blocking this, not in the network (they can not as its the same access you use for phone browsing) but in the firmware of the phones with an app that checks against a server. With a Lumia from Nokia (no carrier branding) it should work fine. The iPhone implementation is even worse, ATT have convinced Apple to do their dirty business and even if you buy an unlocked full price iOS device the hot spot feature disappear when you put in a ATT compatible SIM (or edit the APN) including all MVNOs using ATT network. Verizon was fined for blocking tethering apps, not sure why ATT get away with it.

So this is an ATT/operator issue, not Nokia or Microsoft. Carriers get what they order at the expense of us users

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb