Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

duoFurious

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So I have swapped phones once already and the reason was I thought the SIM tray was bad because the phone would show no signal so often. But the new one does this as well and while it was happening I tested the internet and IT WORKED! So I'm guessing it's a bug that showing no service but having service or dropping signal

st3mpy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
More problems. During long phone calls the proximity sensor stops working, which keeps the display on. When this happens the lock button stops working. No way to fix it except by restarting the phone.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The original post makes the sound issue sound like it applies to long amounts of audio maybe. But, my phone sometimes cuts off itself when I get a text chime. The crackle is heard in between the sound sometimes but not always.

If I goto sounds and ringtones and play a chime over and over it will only do it at the first or second chime and then not.

this happened to me on my titan as well at higher volumes, same sorta thing here too, maybe its a bug in wp code?

CheukMe2u

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Got my Lumia 920 on Friday and I absolutely love it. I don't have any issues besides having 2 resets occur. However there is something really important I need to check up on.

My issue is, whenever I record video, the image stabilization is great. HOWEVER, I hear a very distinct clicking noise being recorded from the phone, it sounds like the floating lens technology is clicking around. Even without shaking, if I move my camera fast enough I will hear the click. And of course, if I shake my phone while recording, the clicking is loud and everywhere. Not that I will shake my phone vigorously while recording anyways, but the clicking noise happens even when I am being fairly gentle with my movements.

No one seems to have this issue? I haven't found anyone with this issue on the forums, please reply quick if your Lumia is like this - I need to know if I'll have to swap for another phone. I don't want to get charged for that restocking fee though. =[

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I have some weird flex where the whole top part of phone flexes in if I push in on it. Also huge delay when playing a song on Xbox music from my collection.

I noticed this flex issue at the top of the device on a Cyan one I was buying at the Oakbrook MS Store. As the girl was setting up my account I noticed it and called it to her attention, she swapped the device out for a different one that doesn't have this issue.

You weren't the only one, personally I'd exchange it.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

I had this issue. I was listening to a long podcast at max volume (needs to be loud to play through my car's AUX jack) and there was a loud frequent crackle/screech/digital sound. Especially bad through my cars stereo system. I later unplugged and listened through my headphones and through the device speakers and the issues was still there. I tried several podcasts and songs and the issue remained. I rebooted the phone and it went away.

Troubling.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Encountered an odd issue. First night I had the wireless charger, let it charge all night on it, no problem. Last 2 nights, the phone froze at some point in the night on the charger. Had to soft reset to wake it, although fortunately its fully charged. Might be an issue to watch for people who use theirs as an alarm

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I'm gonna throw something out here for a minute, and this is just a wild out-of-the-blue kinda question since I haven't read every thread or post on the matter...

Several people are reporting that their phone constantly shows 100% charge and some are reporting rapid battery drain. So...

Are we SURE it's actually draining the battery? As in, has someone had it completely shutdown on them after a short time? Or is it possible that it's not draining at all and instead just inaccurately reporting the battery life?

I just realized that my phone is currently showing 100%, but I've had it off the charger for an hour and 15 minutes right now, and I've listened to 15 minutes of music, sent 3 texts, and had a half dozen emails come through (plus syncing Facebook and such).

On a whim, last night I turned off NFC and then went to a movie. In 4 hours, it dropped by 25% (and the phone was in airplane mode)... the first time I've had any issue. I turned off location services this morning, and it's stuck on 100%... but it's also reporting "less than 20 hours remaining".

I'm just thinking out loud that maybe it's not the actual battery life that's an issue. It might just be a software glitch in the reporting. I'm certainly open to being proven wrong. :)

UPDATE: I'm now at the 2 hour mark, and suddenly it's down to 92% (from 100%), so I'll continue to monitor and report throughout the day.

UPDATE 2: I'm at the 7 hour mark, and I'm down to 50%. Considerably LESS usage than a typical day, AND all non-essential services are disabled. (I'm also on LTE instead of Wi-Fi for now, but I have GREAT coverage.) That's definitely indicative of a "problem" since on my 900 I would make it to the 12 hour mark at 70%, but I also have no way of knowing if this reading is accurate. I guess I'll find out in a few more hours.

Last edited:

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone Had a Voice Distortion Issue on a Call?

Two of the calls i made, the person said my voice is distorted, as if i am speaking from far away and more subtle.

It happened a few minutes ago as i was speaking to my girlfriend, she called me on the phone and said that she can't hear me well so i told her to call me again, and this time it was crystal clear she said. Could it be a reception issue? though i never had with my other phone. I am a bit worried :/

Frantics

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Bricked phone here!

Tried a System Reset to wipe the phone out and start fresh in hopes of improving the battery life but got stuck in the screen with the turning gears for hours.
Now, after purposely draining it to get out of that screen, my phone won't boot past the Nokia screen.

I tried KoukiFC3S's advice on another post but it gets stuck on an AT&T Deathstar logo loop.
Looks like ATT's splash screen is preventing it from going to the recovery screen.

I'm going to try and exchange it today for a fresh unit and have them do a system reset immediately to see if it's a common problem.

I really like this phone (when it's working) but this is getting frustrating.

wpoblation

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Are we SURE it's actually draining the battery? As in, has someone had it completely shutdown on them after a short time? Or is it possible that it's not draining at all and instead just inaccurately reporting the battery life?

Thats certainly a possibility. Do post back if it actually dies on you. Didn't the iPhone have a similar issue with reception where Apple said that the reception bar strength was reporting a weaker signal that it actually had?

blueseashore

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Dust in the facing camera lens

I have got my black 920 for about 5 days and just realize that there are already dust in facing camera lens-about 7 small dots. I know sooner or later phones without water/dust resistant will get dust in but not that soon:dry... I have read more than 2 threads about similar issue from wpcentral and other forums and at least one of them is also a black 920. I am thinking of making exchange to a white one.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/202102.htm
http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/202100-7.htm

phillyninja

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
car aux port issue

Has anyone tried making calls while the phone is plugged in to a car aux port for audio through car speakers?

As soon as I power on the car with the phone connected to the car aux port the mic on the phone is disabled. I have never seen this problem with other phones (most recently HTC trophy) and always have been able to make calls through the phone mic (mounted on a bracket) while using car speakers for audio.

The mic is active when the car is off and still connected through the aux port (standard 3.5mm cable) so something must be sensed by the phone once the car stereo is powered on.

I have tried this in 2 cars and with 2 nokia 920 phones so far so this may be a "feature" instead of a bug...

JamesBondage

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey!

The Live Tiles on my device won't show me notifications. I know that the Facebook app still has problems but also other apps won't work. Even the store doesn't tell me about apps that need to be updated (which is the most important problem).
Of course all the settings are set to give me such notifications. Does anyone else have this problem?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Probably not a bug but has anyone noticed how orange the Red accent color is? The color "warmth" of this display is displeasing to me.

Ivanr53

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Having studied all the postings on this board and I am amazed by all the defects/errors. My 920 has none of these defects/errors with a battery life that even amazed me (1 Day 20Hours). I have switched off the NFC, Bluetooth, WiFi and Apps that run in the background I only sync/push email every 30min across two accounts. This is and an amazing phone :)

Last edited:

I Unquello

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There is too much padding on the top of the home screen between the clock and the first tiles.

When you press the windows button to go to the home screen, there is a lot of useless space between the info bar/clock and the top of the first row of tiles. It should by default be half a small tile higher.
I thought that too, but then I saw the spot fills up with live notifications (ie new text message).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss