Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

vtective

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
My new phone takes a really long time to connect to the networn after a restart. The Xbox music player also stutters between tracks.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I have to assume this is a bug because it's way too weird to not be. So at home I've never had any issues connecting to wifi. At work is a different story... But I chalk that up to the network. Just now something happened and there's literally no way anything other than the phone is doing it.

My wifi was still on from when I left the house this morning. At work I went to the wifi network where I work, connected to it, and was taken into IE to login. All normal. After I login IE tells me I've lost connection. I go back to the settings page an now my wifi is turned off. I turn it back on and wait for the available networks to appear. But one to two seconds after they do my wifi turns itself off. It keeps happening. What. The. F***.

Lindell

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Has anybody else's handset got a unusually loose charger connection? When the charger is plugged into the phone it moves to the left more than to the right. Thought id ask before my 14 days runs out.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Anyone experience Nokia Drive freezing when using the GPS? It just started happening to my Lumia 920 yesterday.

Nokia drive was unusable for me (gps wasn't working right) until I simply rebooted the phone. I have had a couple freezes since in 3d mode but not in 2d which has been working fine.

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a problem recording video. Was on 1080 setting recording live music and the videos came out with glitches where the video skips/has missing frames at several spots. Will do some tests later to see what reproduces it as I had previously recorded without the problem.

ClixT

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my cyan Lumia 920 yesterday at my local MS store for the full price (kind off having buyer's remorse right now.... Someone give me a great reason why I should keep my Lumia 920..)

So far so good, and no battery drains (no sim card inserted, wifi is off). This might sound insulting, but make sure wifi is turned off (the Lumia's tend to turn it on when first booted, and my friend who bought the 710 had this issue). A few things I noticed though is that when I first booted my device, the date and time are completely wrong, and it's not adjusting even with the auto detect/settings is turned on, so I had to manually adjust it. The other issue I noticed is that when I choose the month view in calendar, there are some words written on the days in some random language. This is not really a big deal, but it'll better if it's one's task/reminder/etc instead.

Attachments

• wp_ss_20121119_0001.png
    wp_ss_20121119_0001.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 21
  • wp_ss_20121119_0002.png
    wp_ss_20121119_0002.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 12
  • wp_ss_20121119_0003.png
    wp_ss_20121119_0003.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 8

AcousticMT

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Activated my new, white 920 today and noticed something wrong with my screen. I'm not a phone engineer or anything, but it looks like whatever coating they apply under the glass was defective, like if you had your car windows tinted and then peeled a couple of random pieces off of it.

Other than that (and a sim card that was installed backwards, causing the sim door to not close completely), the setup and operation of the phone has been great. The camera is fantastic, the build is solid, and the software is amazing.

kaz409

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my cyan Lumia 920 yesterday at my local MS store for the full price (kind off having buyer's remorse right now.... Someone give me a great reason why I should keep my Lumia 920..)

So far so good, and no battery drains (no sim card inserted, wifi is off). This might sound insulting, but make sure wifi is turned off (the Lumia's tend to turn it on when first booted, and my friend who bought the 710 had this issue). A few things I noticed though is that when I first booted my device, the date and time are completely wrong, and it's not adjusting even with the auto detect/settings is turned on, so I had to manually adjust it. The other issue I noticed is that when I choose the month view in calendar, there are some words written on the days in some random language. This is not really a big deal, but it'll better if it's one's task/reminder/etc instead.

I think the text in the calendar is lorem ipsum, which is basically Latin placeholder text. A lot of graphics companies use this to auto-fill text fields to see how a certain application or page would look when text is in place. I don't think this a bug, but rather a quirky design choice.

ace182

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
Only read of one such complaint. My guess is this is a one-off. If this is an issue the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Bricked handset
Kind of scary, but several people are reporting their devices no longer boot-up after doing a hard reset. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you after the refund period is up. You should definitely exchange your Lumia 920 for a new one if this happens to you.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week). Please note that there are other sporadic issues being reported. If you'd like to know what those are, it would make sense to read through this thread and/or search the forum. This list is of the more common ones.

Also, there are some complaints about quoting this post in responses (making pages in this thread extra long). Please keep that in mind when replying :)

I think you maybe you should revise your dust under screen. I now have dust not under my LED dispaly, but Its under the front facing camera. I think this may be a bigger problem then what we think, just because its early we havnt seen alot of it. But I am a pocket phone person, that means its exposed to lint and dust alot. I had this with one of my iPhones(I dont rember which one) but I think this phone may be prone to this problem. Anyone else having this going on?
Thanks

Arman215

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
2006 +- Audi A8L, 2004 - 2010 BMW 5 and 3 series, Kenwood DNX 6990HD Navstation + BT, 2012 Honda Oddyssey, Lexus LS460, 2010 Toyota Prius, 2010 Volvo, 2012 Chevy Malibu and 2012 Chevy Equinox, 2012 TomTom VIA 1535TM, Jeep's RHB MyGig 430N Radio, Alpine CDE-133BT car audio CD receiver, 2012 acura tl, (2012 Ford Mustang GT w/ sync, Nissan Maxima 09, 2013 Kia Rio5, Audi A3 (2006) Navigation plus (RNS-E), Subaru Forester 2011 and Subaru Impreza 2012, 2011 Dodge Challenger, 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2011 Ford F150 w/ Gen3 v3.2.2 Microsoft SYNC, 2013 subaru impreza, Kenwood DNX6990HD, TomTom Go LIVE 1000, Alpine CDE-HD137BT, 2008 MB ML550, UConnect BT system in 2011 Jeep, 2010 Ford F150 & 2011 Ford Fusion, Jeep Wrangler 430N, Jawbone Era, 2008 E550 Mercedes, Mazda CX-7, 2012 4Runner, 2012 Volvo V70 D3, 2011 VW Touareg, Dodge Challenger with Uconnect, Xbox Bluetooth headset, LG HBS 700 and Sony Xplode car deck, 2013 Kia Rio5 with Microsoft Uvo

This is the list of cars and devices that reported issues connecting with Windows Phone 8 based phones(Lumia 920, 820, HTC 8X), some can't connect at all, some can connect but have other issues like freezing, disconnecting, no phone book, etc. making it unusable anyway.

Also another interesting point is that the Absolute vast majority of those have no problems whatsoever with other phones including Windows phone 7.5 devices.

I posted the same list of cars and devices on Nokia's site at: http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/Lumia-920-bluetooth-problems/m-p/1615114because someone reported calling Nokia, escalating the issue and escalation team blaming his car and not the phone!!??!!

So, first time they deleted my post, when i post it again, then they banned me from using that site!!!

So, this is the response we are getting for collecting and posting legitimate data about the problem with their product?

Rug

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I have an update for this problem. This appears to be related to a manufacturing defect. There's a gap between the screen and the black border. You can see two small holes in the gap. One is right above the forward facing camera, and the other is to the right, and I think that one is for proximity sensor. I used compressed air to clean out the gap, which fixed my problem, but it forced some of the dust into the FFC. I blew more air into that hole, and that cleaned it out (although I have no idea where the dust went). This gap doesn't exist on the yellow one, and another white one I compared to.

920s.jpg

920 activates the proximity sensor whenever a call is made or accepted, regardless whether I have the phone close to my head or not.

Arman215

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I put together the following list of devices and cars who's owner's reporting issues connecting with Lumia 920 and 820 phones ( although this looks more of a Windows Phone 8 issue since HTC phone 8X is having the same issue). Most of those can't connect at all, some can connect but having other issues like dropped connections, no phone lists, very bad sound quality...

2006 +- Audi A8L, 2004 - 2010 BMW 5 and 3 series, Kenwood DNX6990HD Navstation + BT, 2012 Honda Oddyssey, Lexus LS460, 2010 Toyota Prius, 2010 Volvo, 2012 Chevy Malibu and 2012 Chevy Equinox, 2012 TomTom VIA 1535TM, Jeep's RHB MyGig 430N Radio, Alpine CDE-133BTcar audio CD receiver, 2012 acura tl, (2012 Ford Mustang GT w/ sync, NissanMaxima 09, 2013 Kia Rio5, Audi A3 (2006) Navigation plus (RNS-E), SubaruForester 2011 and Subaru Impreza 2012, 2011 Dodge Challenger, 2012 Hyundai Veloster, 2012 Jeep WranglerUnlimited, 2011 Ford F150 w/ Gen3 v3.2.2Microsoft SYNC, 2013 subaru impreza, Kenwood DNX6990HD, TomTom Go LIVE 1000,Alpine CDE-HD137BT, 2008 MB ML550,UConnect BT system in 2011 Jeep, 2010 Ford F150 & 2011 Ford Fusion, Jeep Wrangler 430N, Jawbone Era, 2008 E550Mercedes, Mazda CX-7, 2012 4Runner, 2012 Volvo V70 D3, 2011 VW Touareg, DodgeChallenger with Uconnect, Xbox Bluetooth headset, LG HBS 700 and Sony Xplodecar deck, 2013 Kia Rio5 with Microsoft Uvo,

The forums i copied the car and device names are:
HTC 8x Bluetooth cannot pair with 2007 BMW X5. Has anybody else facig - Microsoft Community

Nokia Support Discussions - Re: Lumia 920 Bluetooth problems - Page 5 - Nokia Support Discussions

WP8 Pairing Issues with Car's Bluetooth - Microsoft Community

So the list is correct and the problem is real.

alphonsohall

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Following this brilliant forum with great interest and thanks to all for their reports of problems, etc.

My 2 yr contract with tmobile has recently expired and i was on the brink of committing to another 2yrs contract for the L920 with tmobile (was told today stock arriving shortly) but after reading the previous 12 pages i think i'll wait until the new year when, hopefully, the bugs are all sorted. Very disappointed, as i have always been a nokia phone user and i've been eager to get hold of a l920 asap but there seem to be too many issues with this phone at the moment though nothing that cant eventually be fixed.

BTW, the deal i was offered today was.... Lumia 920 (white or black), 24 month contract, ?100 one off payment for phone, ?24.50 per month, 300 minutes, 750mb data, unlimited landlines, 500 texts. stock not yet in but arriving shortly.

I dont know if the deal is for existing tmobile customers (as i am) or open to all, its not currently showing on their website, nor is the l920.....i was offered the deal during a telephone call to tmobile.

----

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I think you maybe you should revise your dust under screen. I now have dust not under my LED dispaly, but Its under the front facing camera. I think this may be a bigger problem then what we think, just because its early we havnt seen alot of it. But I am a pocket phone person, that means its exposed to lint and dust alot. I had this with one of my iPhones(I dont rember which one) but I think this phone may be prone to this problem. Anyone else having this going on?
Thanks

You're right, it's no longer just one person, even if it's still an uncommon issue. I've edited my post.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Nokia Resolutions. They are sending me a replacement for the dust under the camera and screen.

I've had every bug , just over the span of 3 handsets lol.

Customer service both at At&t and Nokia have been great so far.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I have an update for this problem. This appears to be related to a manufacturing defect. There's a gap between the screen and the black border. You can see two small holes in the gap. One is right above the forward facing camera, and the other is to the right, and I think that one is for proximity sensor. I used compressed air to clean out the gap, which fixed my problem, but it forced some of the dust into the FFC. I blew more air into that hole, and that cleaned it out (although I have no idea where the dust went). This gap doesn't exist on the yellow one, and another white one I compared to.

I wonder if they are using the manufacturer in Mexico like they did with my 900. Most phones built in that facility was in poor quality and even though they fixed my connection issues, it still never performed right.

View attachment 23160

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just had a bug today. Was using my 920 to surf the web and I let if fall asleep in my lap while I was paying attention to the TV. Then when I went to wake it, nothing happened, no response. I pressed the unlock button and got nothing. I couldn't tell if it was the display not lighting up or if the device powered off. I couldn't get a response from pressing any buttons and I wasn't getting any sound or vibration. I plugged it in to my PC and the Autoplay window popped up and it recognized the device. I followed the advice in this forum: Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 920 frozen/black screen - Nokia Support Discussions and did a hard reset. Works fine now but at the moment I am pretty upset and contemplating what to do.

And to make things worse, I noticed Bing images in the lockscreen aren't updating like some people here have been seeing. Worked flawlessly up until yesterday or the day before. I still have those damn camels on my lockscreen! Lol....

Last edited:

localgroup

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site

Have the same thing on my E.U. 920 version... First could not read the text and thought it was my stuff from Google calendar...Thanks to your post I realized it's latin and it's all over. Looks like a picture.
Also I have something very strange on mine about date adjustment; whenever phone reboots it comes back to the same exact date - SEPT 01 2012 at 6:47... tried to set automatic ON and OFF but always comes back to that date. https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=2B256257A129275F!185&authkey=!AEpqCfQF4BmGPC8
I really love that phone and wish Nokia and MSFT will take steps to fix these issues soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss