Bug/defect checklist for new and future Lumia 920 owners

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
In monitoring some of the problems and complaints people have had with their Lumia 920 (every new smartphone has some issues at launch) I figured I'd put together a checklist of things to test for as well as possible solutions, so that we'll know whether to keep the Lumia 920 we bought or exchange it for another while we can.

Can't send/receive text messages
This is starting to happen to a lot of people, including myself. Apparently it has something to do with your Microsoft account incessantly attempting to sync to no avail. Very frustrating. There is no solution to this apparently. You might need to pop your sim into another phone and use that until this is fixed.

Battery drain
Some people are reporting that their battery power is drained after just a few hours. Solutions: make sure only background apps you intend to run are actually running; close out of apps when you're not using them by pressing the back button; let the phone go through a few charging cycles; Nokia Drive running in the background is a common culprit - look out for the accompanying icon and be sure to close out of it and other apps properly.

Dust under screen
*EDIT: There have been a handful of complaints about this now. While not as common as other issues on this list, the only solution is to exchange your handset.

Freezes/restarts
This seems to be happening quite frequently. People have reported freezing and/or restarting while doing the following: installing apps, using bluetooth, using NFC, and playing games. Test all of these things and ensure that your phone isn't freezing. If it does this often, exchange your Lumia 920 for another one.

Sound from speakers crackling/distorted/stuttering
People report that this is happening especially at higher volumes. Others are hailing how loud and crisp the sound is coming out of their Lumia 920 speakers. Obviously it makes sense to test this (with music, ringtones, etc.) when you get your handset. If you experience these problems, you probably need to exchange your handset.

Vibration rattle
This might not even be considered a defect. This is just how the phone vibrates. The Lumia 900 was the same. There's no need to exchange your Lumia 920 for this issue.

Green spot in front-facing camera view
One or two members have reported an odd green spot appearing in the view from their front-facing camera. This is a defect and you should exchange the device.

Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

White colors appearing "greyish"
It seems whites aren't quite as vivid on the display as they were on the Lumia 900 for instance, and have a slightly greyish hue to them. This doesn't appear to be a defect, just how the phone is. Some don't even notice. This isn't something that will be fixed by exchanging your device, so hold onto your Lumia 920 if you have no other issues.

Daytime photos
We all know how great low-light photography is with the Lumia 920, but some people are complaining that daytime photos aren't as sharp as they should be. It's said that this is merely a software issue and that Nokia will be fixing it soon. This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, so if it's not too bothersome, keep your device. Apparently fiddling with some of the settings will fix this, but nobody wants to do that every time they use the camera during the day, hence the pending Nokia fix.

Bluetooth pairing
A number of members are reporting problems pairing their Lumia 920s to their vehicles. Some have reported that pairing worked just fine, so this isn't universal. It is widespread however. So far no solution to this has been found. Best thing to do is monitor what people are discovering about the problem before exchanging your device. Also, try pairing your Lumia 920 with various devices to ensure it isn't a wider problem with the phone.

Bricked handset
Kind of scary, but several people are reporting their devices no longer boot-up after doing a hard reset. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you after the refund period is up. You should definitely exchange your Lumia 920 for a new one if this happens to you.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week). Please note that there are other sporadic issues being reported. If you'd like to know what those are, it would make sense to read through this thread and/or search the forum. This list is of the more common ones.

Also, there are some complaints about quoting this post in responses (making pages in this thread extra long). Please keep that in mind when replying :)

Last edited:

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Overheating
This has been another widely-reported one. This is somewhat subjective and partly depends on what devices you're used to. Still, some have reported the phone gets uncomfortably warm, while others say it stays cool to the touch. If you're experiencing this, check to make sure there aren't a bunch of apps running in the background (things like Nokia Drive). Overheating is typically synonymous with heavy battery discharge, so ensuring there aren't too many apps running is a possible solution. If you're sure that isn't the issue, you should consider swapping out your Lumia 920 for a new one.

Am I missing anything? I plan to run through this checklist when I get my yellow Lumia 920 (hopefully this week).

GPS usage produces alot of heat and consumes battery so I guess running Nokia Drive or other location applications on the background is the most common source for battery drain and heating (If not a defective phone).

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Good list. I've been checking my phone for any reported issue as they pop up. So far no problems. It's nice to have a reference point though and I'll use this list for when my Wife's Yellow Lumia 920 arrives (whenever that happens!).

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Considering the low stock of cyan ones and the fact that nothing is wrong with my hardware, I'm going to hold on for an announcement of a software update before my 14 days are up to fix the freezing problem.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Brilliant idea for a thread. Might be a good idea to get it stickied. I know its not a bug but a lot of people seem confused by the gps "targeting" icon that comes up - could be worth mentioning.

mab664

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
My red Lumina 920 died last night (could not be woken up with power button). I had to look up how to hard reset the phone, might be useful for this forum. Hold volume down + power button + camera button until the phone vibrates. Release the power button but continue to hold volume down + camera button for a few more seconds. This worked for me also I have the quick battery drain problem I'm looking into.

jetbo

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I have some weird flex where the whole top part of phone flexes in if I push in on it. Also huge delay when playing a song on Xbox music from my collection.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Great list. I am not sure I would go as far as to exchange the device for the freezing issue. My phone has definitely frozen (four times total, none today, woohoo!) before we hear from Nokia.

atlbuc

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've had the green spot while using my camera in Parcel Tracker and also taking pictures. I rebooted and haven't had the issue since Friday.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm now noticing a bug of when I resume from sleep the brightness of the displayed stays dimmed and doesn't come back up. I need to go into brightness settings in order to fix it.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Can someone check and see if they notice any light bleeding on the edges closest to the capacitive buttons on the bottom? When I use my phone in the dark I notice a line of light on the right, left, and center bottom of the phone. I believe this might be because the light from the capacitive buttons reflects off the curved edge but I might be wrong.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the phone freeze once during a YouTube video, and then one time this morning I was listening to music and the volume controls stopped responding. Other than that it has been great.

cubanaso

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh man, using my phone in the living room with the light off is exposing a couple issues. On the top of the phone on the opposite ride of the sim tray, an area the size of the sim tray is a different shade of black. Never noticed it before but now it stands out like a sore thumb! I'll be going tomorrow to switch this out for a white one.

InnocuousScreenname

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
When using the phone out the in the daylight, the auto brightness cranks up the contrast and makes text and edges on icons on the homescreen a bit fuzzy for a few seconds, then it goes away.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

blackfire

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Camera performance on daylight

Thanks for putting this together and start this thread. We know Nokia already acknowledged this, but I think we should still include it in the list. The phone performs very well on dark scenes, but pictures in regular or good lightning are way too soft. This is known, but I think it might be helpful to keep it in the list so we can track it.

Other than this, I haven't had any issues in my first day with the device. Loving the new OS! I was expecting the battery to last longer, but I guess that's me using the new toy too much. I have ordered the JBL PowerUP charger/speakers to try it out and see how it works. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb