Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZBrowncoat
  1. cruzr96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
       #1  
    I'm trying to purchase the 920 on Walmart's online store, but I have to do it through my sister's line since she's eligible and I'm not. When you purchase the phone, do they send it to you unactivated? Or do they pre-activate them? Because after I purchase the phone I have to get it switched to my number with an AT&T rep. I'd hate to get stuck with a phone that I can't use at all. Can anyone help me with this?
  2. isi mcf's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #2  
    It should come non activated but you will need to call ATT and activate and switch lines
    HTC Surround / HTC Titan / Lumia 900 / Lumia 920 / Lumia 1020 / Lumia 1520 / Lumia 521 / Samsung ATIV Odyssey / Lumia 810
  3. jaimeastin's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    362 Posts
    Global Posts
    378 Global Posts
    #3  
    Just put your sim card in if it is a micro sd... Otherwise, call att with your account and give them the imei for the phone and the sim card number. Do not activate the phone on your sister's account, it is a waste of time, sim card, and an unneeded step.

    Your sister will have a new 2 year term and you a phone. If you ate buying in store, just don't let them activate the phone. Pay for it and all by using your sisters account to get it, but don't let them power it on and such.
  4. cruzr96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
       #4  
    Alright then. So when I reach this step of the purchase, this doesn't mean that this will be the number they are assigning the phone to, yeah? I mean, if I put my sister's phone number on there, they won't activate it for me? It just says I'm available for upgrade?

  5. 5tephen's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    #5  
    Either way you can hot swap sim cards as long as they're the same size. If you have LTE already provisioned on your account all you really have to do is give ATT your IMEI number to update but I've never done that and never had issues.
  6. iJuan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #6  
    When you get your L920, simply switch your current SIM cars to your nee L920, if you do not have a micro SIM, go to att with your sister and ask for a micro SIM. It will be free of charge and just tell them you want your current number on that new micro SIM. After that, buy the micro SIM on your new L920 and there you go.
    And then ofcoarse tell them you want a Windows Phone data plan. If not you can call 611 later from your L920 :-)
  7. cruzr96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
       #7  
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I called Walmart about this though and they said I can only swap the sim if the phone isn't activated yet. Does it come preactivated? Or do I activate it myself when I get it?
  8. Iamdunne's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzr96 View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone! I called Walmart about this though and they said I can only swap the sim if the phone isn't activated yet. Does it come preactivated? Or do I activate it myself when I get it?
    Never purchased from Walmart but have from AT&T online and Amazon and no, just phone in box with sim card in box.
  9. cruzr96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
       #9  
    Wow. Just ordered my phone tonight, if this wasn't such an awesome deal I would NEVER deal with Walmart. They preactivate their phones, so my phone would have basically have been a brick for over six months. However, after pestering enough Walmart reps I did find a loophole. They claim that they're not allowed to cross upgrade, but as long as I use my own sim and DON'T make any changes on any of my AT&T rate plans for six months, I can use the phone. Word of advice for people who are cross upgrading, be careful with Walmart!! Read the specifics, if you make a wrong move they get you with their Instant Savings agreement. Had I not been informed of the rate plan issue I would have had to pay over 400 dollars to Walmart when I changed over.
  10. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzr96 View Post
    Wow. Just ordered my phone tonight, if this wasn't such an awesome deal I would NEVER deal with Walmart. They preactivate their phones, so my phone would have basically have been a brick for over six months. However, after pestering enough Walmart reps I did find a loophole. They claim that they're not allowed to cross upgrade, but as long as I use my own sim and DON'T make any changes on any of my AT&T rate plans for six months, I can use the phone. Word of advice for people who are cross upgrading, be careful with Walmart!! Read the specifics, if you make a wrong move they get you with their Instant Savings agreement. Had I not been informed of the rate plan issue I would have had to pay over 400 dollars to Walmart when I changed over.




    Good post. Lesson is, "nothing is for free in this World". For Walmart to give you this deal they have to guarantee AT&T a certain amount of revenue. it's just business.

    Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  11. cruzr96's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
       #11  
    Well my order has been officially cancelled. Walmart's policy and call center reps sucks a$$. They basically do not allow cross-upgrading, and I would have had to pay a tonna money for a phone that I couldn't use. The rep who told me the loophole was supposed to process the order today, but I never received a call. I was then forced to deal with another rep who basically told me that all the information I'd received from the the former rep was wrong. After getting redirected to yet ANOTHER rep who basically told me the same thing, (if the sim is replaced within 181 days, the phone is officially deactivated from walmart's end, and I would have had to pay their Instant Savings Discount price.) I finally just lost it and cancelled the order. I'm now going to order from AT&T. Great price, but it's not worth the hassle. I'd rather deal with AT&T's customer support, who have been far more helpful with this issue.

    BUYERS BEWARE, do not cross-upgrade through Walmart.
    Thanked by:
  12. AZBrowncoat's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    123 Posts
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzr96 View Post
    Well my order has been officially cancelled. Walmart's policy and call center reps sucks a$$. They basically do not allow cross-upgrading, and I would have had to pay a tonna money for a phone that I couldn't use. The rep who told me the loophole was supposed to process the order today, but I never received a call. I was then forced to deal with another rep who basically told me that all the information I'd received from the the former rep was wrong. After getting redirected to yet ANOTHER rep who basically told me the same thing, (if the sim is replaced within 181 days, the phone is officially deactivated from walmart's end, and I would have had to pay their Instant Savings Discount price.) I finally just lost it and cancelled the order. I'm now going to order from AT&T. Great price, but it's not worth the hassle. I'd rather deal with AT&T's customer support, who have been far more helpful with this issue.

    BUYERS BEWARE, do not cross-upgrade through Walmart.
    Thanks to this thread I ordered my yellow Lumia 920 today directly at an AT&T store instead of from Walmart - saved me a lot of future trouble.
    cruzr96 likes this.

Posting Permissions