Help, Narrow viewing angle

LEC 360

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal to have very narrow viewing angles on the lumia 920?

I am trying to decide if I ask for a replacement. Screen is only bright if looking straight. If I look more than 20 degrees off screen looses brightness considerably and colors fade. Like those old LCD screens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for your feedback.

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I was just going to post something about this. I'm coming from a Focus and this is a pretty big difference to me. The screen has many good points, but the crummy viewing angles might be a dealbreaker. Maybe I'll wait for a Pureview AMOLED with microSD expansion. It really bugs me, which is too bad, because the phone is very nice. Love the camera, love the NFC for my Play 360 speakers, just can't get over the viewing angles.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I had a Focus for a year (until I dropped it one too many times :-( ). While the L920's narrower viewing angle is a bit of a downer, the benefit is that it is infinitely more usable outdoors than the Focus ever dreamed of; it's much better than even the L900 which had an earlier version of the ClearBlack system.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL you guys crack me up. What are you doing looking at your phone from the side? It's a phone you look directly at it.
**** I see low side visibility as plus for prying eyes.

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The brightness and readability drops off quite a bit with not much change in the viewing angle. I'm accustomed to not having to line the phone up with my eyes within a certain cone of visibility. Plus, when the Lumia is on automatic brightness, you really have to get the alignment right, or it's too dim. And, of course, I can just manually set the brightness, but that's another setting I don't want to have to mess with. Makes reading in bed a bit of a pain. It's just a matter of what you're used to, I suppose. As I've said, many plusses for the 920, but this is a significant negative for me. YMMV.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
While I am not going to question while you are looking at the phone sideways, I will say that I cannot think of a way a hardware defect would be the cause of a narrow viewing angle. If it looks fine to you straight on, swapping it out isn't going to make anything any better.

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No one said it's a defect, just a difference. I've discovered I prefer the AMOLED over the LCD. No biggie. I'm happy if people like their new gear. It's a great phone, but I'm accustomed to the advantages of AMOLED so mine is going back.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
No one said it's a defect, just a difference. I've discovered I prefer the AMOLED over the LCD. No biggie. I'm happy if people like their new gear. It's a great phone, but I'm accustomed to the advantages of AMOLED so mine is going back.

What are the advantages of AMOLED?

DynaDog

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, wider viewing angles, higher contrast, richer colors, brighter. I bet if you used some technology called a search engine, you could find more, these are just advantages from my personal experience.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah noticed this instantly after coming from my Lumia 900. This is the clearblack technology...basically just some fancy talk for some polarization. Just put on a pair of polarized glasses and take a gander at your phone. Does look amazing outside in the sun though. Much better than any phone I ever had before. I do a lot of side by side comparisons with my Lumia 900 in many aspect. Blows it out of the water in almost every way.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Is it normal to have very narrow viewing angles on the lumia 920?

I am trying to decide if I ask for a replacement. Screen is only bright if looking straight. If I look more than 20 degrees off screen looses brightness considerably and colors fade. Like those old LCD screens.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for your feedback.

So what are the situations you need a wide viewing angle on your phone?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I noticed that the colors do look warmer and a bit more dim from the side, but to me it's nothing bothersome. Outdoor readability is great. I'm outside now and the display is naturally vibrant and easily readable. It's a bit over case now, but on a sunny day the display cranks up the brightness to, which does turn the blacks a nasty shade of gray, but still keeps everything readable. I've tried a lot of smartphone displays and this is easily my favorite.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb