Skype is here!

zolgi

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
You sure about that? Works fine here. Just tested and I have the new Skype preview app installed.
Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as ?No one is online?.

We suggest readers wait for the final version.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as “No one is online”.

We suggest readers wait for the final version.

I get they're having issues. All I said was I am not. I tested it on my 920 with the Skype preview app, logged into Facebook messenger on my phone, and was able to see people online, and also succesfully sent a message.

EDIT: Just tested again. No problems here. Showing a few people online.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks

You will recieve Skype calls even when Skype is shut down, after installation it bakes into the OS.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.

That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?

Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

I think it's nifty. :)

And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.

kurtd

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

I think it's nifty. :)

And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.

Well I really hope IMs come through when the app is closed. I use skype IMs more than calls. Does it still use 100% Skype when you send or receive a call? Just wondering because google Voice uses your cell minutes which is awful. Google voice won't even work without a mobile number on the phone which is stupid. I like Skype much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3