Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coreldan
  1. hkalltheway's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
       #1  
    Hey all,

    Skype is now available in the marketplace :) Just a heads up!
  2. zolgi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #2  
    Say bye bye to facebook chat when you install this skype preview.
  3. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by zolgi View Post
    Say bye bye to facebook chat when you install this skype preview.
    But nobody I know even uses Skype while everyone uses facebook :D
    ibbyj likes this.
  4. zolgi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
    But nobody I know even uses Skype while everyone uses facebook :D

    I mean if you install this skype preview, facebook chat doesnt work anymore. There is a bug.
  5. Loiselle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zolgi View Post
    I mean if you install this skype preview, facebook chat doesnt work anymore. There is a bug.
    You sure about that? Works fine here. Just tested and I have the new Skype preview app installed.
    What if? Venom Possessed Deadpool?
  6. zolgi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    80 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Loiselle View Post
    You sure about that? Works fine here. Just tested and I have the new Skype preview app installed.
    Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
    We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

    The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as “No one is online”.

    We suggest readers wait for the final version.
  7. Loiselle's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    217 Posts
    Global Posts
    271 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zolgi View Post
    Skype for Windows Phone 8 Preview now in the Windows Phone Store | WMPoweruser
    We have had reports that a preview version of Skype for Windows Phone 8 is now in the Windows Phone Store.

    The app can be found at the same URL as usual is not however without problems, with our tipster telling us that after installing it, Facebook Chat no longer worked, with all contacts being shown as “No one is online”.

    We suggest readers wait for the final version.
    I get they're having issues. All I said was I am not. I tested it on my 920 with the Skype preview app, logged into Facebook messenger on my phone, and was able to see people online, and also succesfully sent a message.

    EDIT: Just tested again. No problems here. Showing a few people online.
    What if? Venom Possessed Deadpool?
  8. en0x#AC's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    89 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #8  
    the facebook chat works fine for me too after installing skype preview
  9. KoukiFC3S's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    554 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,747 Global Posts
    #9  
    How does it integrate into the OS?
  10. kurtd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #10  
    Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

    I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks
  11. Coreldan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,583 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,591 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressmicro View Post
    Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?

    I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks
    You will recieve Skype calls even when Skype is shut down, after installation it bakes into the OS.
  12. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,338 Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressmicro View Post
    Can anyone report on battery life when Skype is running? Can we leave Skype running 24/7 on Windows phone 8 with out too much affect on battery life?



    I currently have an android phone and planning to get 920 or ativ s. However on android the battery will die in a couple hours if Skype is left running. Being able to leave Skype running would be huge for me. Thanks

    When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

    Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.
  13. chriscookz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    121 Posts
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    #13  
    My facebook contacts are still showing up as online, just installed skype on my 920.
  14. kurtd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    When Skype isn't being used, it doesn't run.

    Your online presence is handled in the cloud, and only tells your phone when there is an interaction.
    That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?
  15. VagrantWade's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,399 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,411 Global Posts
    #15  
    All I need is facebook chat to disappear entirely and I will be good to go!
  16. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xpressmicro View Post
    That sounds pretty good. So you can sill receive calls and Skype im's while it's not running? Does it work good?
    Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

    I think it's nifty. :)

    And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.
  17. kurtd's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    159 Posts
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    Not sure about IM's, but yes you can receive skype calls when the skype app is not running. The incoming skype call acts just like a regular incoming phone call.

    I think it's nifty. :)

    And if I'm not mistaken, this allows people to make skype calls with Windows Phone 8 anywhere in the world, regardless of if you have carrier signal or not or whether you are in a different country, etc. As long as you have wifi connection you can get skype calls.
    Well I really hope IMs come through when the app is closed. I use skype IMs more than calls. Does it still use 100% Skype when you send or receive a call? Just wondering because google Voice uses your cell minutes which is awful. Google voice won't even work without a mobile number on the phone which is stupid. I like Skype much better.

Posting Permissions