Pre-purchase Questions

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello all current 920 owners. I have a few questions in my mind before I purchase my next phone. Just a quick background for you. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3GS, then moved to an iPhone 4, Samsung Captivate (Android), Nokia Lumia 900, then finally an HTC One X. I'm familiar with all of the OS's except Windows Phone 8, which should be not much different from WP7. So here's my dilemma.

I've come down to 2 choices for my next phone. Lumia 920, or iPhone 5. I know the specs on each, and I've read the reviews, but my hesitation with the Lumia 920 is the fact that more than a handful of people are already showing signs of problems. Horrible battery life, heat problems, vibrate rattle (I found this awful on my 900), rebooting on it's own, etc. It doesn't seem to happen with all of them, I understand that. Of course the iPhone also had it's issues out of the gate.

So here's my questions for you 920 owners:

1. Vibrate rattle - Is it all that horrible like the 900 was? I can't really test this on a display unit in the store.

2. The display units are on all day long. When I tested them yesterday, I didn't feel any extra heat on the back of the phone. Has there been any indication so far that you've seen as to what is causing this?

3. Random reboots seem to be a thing with Android when you run custom roms. Of course, with Windows Phone 8, there would be none of that for me. I'd rather not have to deal with this at all. I can't remember if there's a diagnostic app (logcat) for Windows Phone. Could this just be something with a few of the units produced, or do you think it's software?

My worry is that I had to have my 900 swapped out 4 times for speakerphone issues (sounded like someone having their mouth right against a microphone), the option of having the phone listen to a voice command would just invoke on it's own without me touching the capacitive buttons at all, phone didn't turn on at all...etc. I don't want to have this same situation if I choose the 920. It seems like the iPhone 5 is more stable in these aspects. Believe me, I'm no Apple, Android, or WP ****** in any way. I am really looking for reliability rather than features. Thanks for any input you guys can provide. :cool:

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any of the issues you mention.

Keep in mind that people to go to forums normally to write about all the good stuff, but they will RUN as fast as they can to write about issues they are having. This phone is plagued with issues like some other newly released devices are.

You'll be happy with the phone, and the Windows OS. It's as smooth and fluid as iOS, and then some. And it blows Android away. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and have had several Android phones prior to that. Android 4.1 (and 4.2) Jelly Bean is nice, but still not up to par with Windows. And good luck getting the latest Android OS on non-Nexus phones, unless you like to root/ROM.

Ethere

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
One more question. What about the Carl Zeiss chrome around the camera? Does that scratch all up anymore or is that made with another type of material now?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't help, but thanks for playing.

It actually does. You said it comes down to two choices so I gave an answer for one of the two choices.

1. The vibration rattle is hit or miss, it doesn't bother me but it seems to irk others.

2. The heat issues I don't have, it's more or less people playing with their phone opening up everything and leaving everything running (Nokia Drive, Maps, locations, high brightness) which is probably the reason why the phone is getting warm.

3. And random reboots again, I haven't had any so far but on my old HTC Titan II only time it rebooted was when I tried to do too much at one time and the phone just gave up.

and Your welcome!

rangu

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It actually does. You said it comes down to two choices so I gave an answer for one of the two choices.

1. The vibration rattle is hit or miss, it doesn't bother me but it seems to irk others.

2. The heat issues I don't have, it's more or less people playing with their phone opening up everything and leaving everything running (Nokia Drive, Maps, locations, high brightness) which is probably the reason why the phone is getting warm.

3. And random reboots again, I haven't had any so far but on my old HTC Titan II only time it rebooted was when I tried to do too much at one time and the phone just gave up.

and Your welcome!

Hi, How to close background running programs? Thanks!

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Hi, How to close background running programs? Thanks!

What I found works for me is to hold the back button to see which programs are open. Whichever one is the one you want to close you press on that one to open then as soon as it loads or whatever hit the back button again, that should take you back to the home screen and have it not show in the background apps again if you were to press and hold the back button again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6