920 affecting computer speakers

Nightshde

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
While sitting here at my desk at work I decided to pull out my 920 and play around with it since I was bored and as soon as I put it on my desk the computer speakers started buzzing and popping. At first I didn't think anything of it since my speakers will sometimes crackle or pop because a cord has been slightly pulled out somewhere. So I fiddled with the cords a bit and it seemed to go away. So I picked my phone back up and took it out of sleep and the buzzing started again.

Now that I figured out it was my phone I started playing around trying to figure out what could be causing it. As long as the phone is in sleep it doesn't effect the speakers at all, but as soon as it comes out of sleep it starts right up. Also the closer it is to the speakers the louder the noise is and it doesn't stop unless there is something solid between the speakers and the phone, like the desk, or if I put the phone far enough away from the speakers, about 4ft.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Or could it just be my speakers don't like the phone.

Last edited:

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
While sitting here at my desk at work I decided to pull out my 920 and play around with it since I was bored and as soon as I put it on my desk the computer speakers started buzzing and popping. At first I didn't think anything of it since my speakers will sometimes crackle or pop because a cord has been slightly pulled out somewhere. So I fiddled with the cords a bit and it seemed to go away. So I picked my phone back up and took it out of sleep and the buzzing started again.

Now that I figured out it was my phone I started playing around trying to figure out what could be causing it. As long as the phone is in sleep it doesn't effect the speakers at all, but as soon as it comes out of sleep it starts right up. Also the closer it is to the speakers the louder the noise is and it doesn't stop unless there is something solid between the speakers and the phone, like the desk, or if I put the phone far enough away from the speakers, about 4ft.

Has anyone else come across this issue? Or could it just be my speakers don't like the phone.

Is this your first time with ATT as your carrier? Reason I ask is because this is a known issue with ATT/Cingular. I have had that in the past with my iphone on ATT, but I believe the actual issue is caused by the GSM radio (someone else might know more).

holyxiaoxin

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I assume this is caused by frequency interference. You can stop this by using a anti-jamming opamp by cascading a high pass filter and a low pass filter of desired jomega.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is this your first time with ATT as your carrier? Reason I ask is because this is a known issue with ATT/Cingular. I have had that in the past with my iphone on ATT, but I believe the actual issue is caused by the GSM radio (someone else might know more).

Not necessarily true. I've been with AT&T for many years and I've had windows smartphones for 5+ years, the Lumia 920 is the first phone to affect my computer speakers. I was thinking about making a thread about the exact same issue.

It is annoying.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily true. I've been with AT&T for many years and I've had windows smartphones for 5+ years, the Lumia 920 is the first phone to affect my computer speakers. I was thinking about making a thread about the exact same issue.

It is annoying.

I went from an HTC, to iphone 3g, iphone4 and now the lumia and it doesn't work on all speakers, but at my parents house, all 4 phones have caused interference on their computer speakers.

Im not sure what part of my first reply you think is "not necessarily true", but if you google ATT speaker interference, you will see a ton of others having that same problem with all phones.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Any GSM phone will cause this issue to some degree. Every phone I have had with AT&T, Cingular, and going back to Powertel have caused the buzzing sound occasionally. My iPhone 3G was worse than my Focus though.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I went from an HTC, to iphone 3g, iphone4 and now the lumia and it doesn't work on all speakers, but at my parents house, all 4 phones have caused interference on their computer speakers.

Im not sure what part of my first reply you think is "not necessarily true", but if you google ATT speaker interference, you will see a ton of others having that same problem with all phones.

The "Known issue with ATT/Cingular" part.

In my office right now I have 2 sets of speakers on 2 different computers. One of them is just a simple 2 speaker setup (using onboard audio). The other is a 4.1 setup (using a soundcard).

In this same office I have two Samsung Focus', HTC pure, HTC Tilt 2, and the Lumia 920. I have used all of those phones for multiple days in this office during the past couple of weeks with all the PC speakers/computers turned on. The only phone that makes any interference is the Lumia 920.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The "Known issue with ATT/Cingular" part.

In my office right now I have 2 sets of speakers on 2 different computers. One of them is just a simple 2 speaker setup (using onboard audio). The other is a 4.1 setup (using a soundcard).

In this same office I have two Samsung Focus', HTC pure, HTC Tilt 2, and the Lumia 920. I have used all of those phones for multiple days in this office during the past couple of weeks with all the PC speakers/computers turned on. The only phone that makes any interference is the Lumia 920.

Just because you personally haven't experienced it,doesn't mean its not a "known issue".
Let me google that for you

Nightshde

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

Yea this is my first time with ATT, was originally with sprint for 10+ years. If it was the GSM radio wouldn't it still affect the speakers if it was in sleep since the antenna should still be on.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Yea this is my first time with ATT, was originally with sprint for 10+ years. If it was the GSM radio wouldn't it still affect the speakers if it was in sleep since the antenna should still be on.

In the past with my iphones, it would only affect my speakers if I got a text of a call. Which was actually pretty cool because it would let me know if I got a text or a call when I had headphones on lol.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Just because you personally haven't experienced it,doesn't mean its not a "known issue".
Let me google that for you

Not trying to start an argument here, but your experience doesn't mean it's a 'known issue' either.

I noticed that the vast majority of those reporting the issue have iPhones.

You're experience with both of your iPhones causing the issue, compared with my experience with only the Lumia 920 causing the issue, leads me to believe the issue is more common with iPhones and recently with the Lumia 920 specifically.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2