Not receiving text msg from iphone users

Aki11p2

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

Is anybody else not receiving text messages from iphone users? I switched from an iphone 4 and although I turned off imessages in settings, whenever my friends try and text me it still sends the message as an imessage and I never receive it.

It seems like other people are having the same issue who also switched from an iphone.

Searching the apple support forums it seems like there is no concrete fix for this.

Anyone else experience this or have any luck?

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it's something on AT&T's back-end, like something needing to be changed when you go from an iPhone to non-iPhone specifically.

TrunkMonkey44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. For me it was because my Microsoft default login had my chat status set to Offline - apparently set in Messenger ages ago or something? I don't know. But as soon as I changed that in the Messaging window (the little person icon) I was able to receive texts.

A side note - I couldn't send/receive pics or video and that had to be resolved by AT&T with a reset on their end.

TM

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I had a problem with iMessage messages switching from an iPhone. You've got to pull the old sim out of the iPhone and leave wifi off.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem. For me it was because my Microsoft default login had my chat status set to Offline - apparently set in Messenger ages ago or something? I don't know. But as soon as I changed that in the Messaging window (the little person icon) I was able to receive texts.

A side note - I couldn't send/receive pics or video and that had to be resolved by AT&T with a reset on their end.

TM

Interesting. I'm set to 'offline' and I'm receiving txt's just fine.

TrunkMonkey44

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I'm set to 'offline' and I'm receiving txt's just fine.

You're right. I just set myself to Offline and got a text. It must have been a timing thing then, because I couldn't get messages before. I had someone standing there with me sending texts and they wouldn't go through until I made the chat status change.

I wonder what it was? I turned iMessage off on my iPad and my old iPhone, but was still having the problem.

TM

John Ober

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I got a new 920 and had the same problem. I found the solution. Have the person sending you the text turn there imsg off send you a text then turn imsg back on. you will now be able to recieve txt msgs from them. It is an apple operating system issue. Not a problem with your phone.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I got a new 920 and had the same problem. I found the solution. Have the person sending you the text turn there imsg off send you a text then turn imsg back on. you will now be able to recieve txt msgs from them. It is an apple operating system issue. Not a problem with your phone.

Was just coming in to say this. Best/Easiest workaround I know of, for now.

JW888

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
That could only happened to iphone, not other devices..........that why I never use iphone, by the way, is not the best phone, any way.

John Puttman

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
So my wife is on an iphone 4. I had an iphone 4 and switched to the 920. We tried turning the iMessage off and sending the text message. The message came through. She turned the iMessage on her phone back on and it switched back to trying to send me iMessages. She had to delete my contact and re-add it to get the messages to go through when she has the iMessages setting turned on.

UPDATE -- This worked for a couple of messages, then they stopped coming through. I had her delete the contact an try to send a text just to my phone number. It is getting sent directly back to her.

UPDATE -- So I am on hold with AT&T tech support. They asked me to have my wife reset her iPhone back to factory settings...you know get rid of all her contacts and apps and pictures etc. REALLY? I have probably 50+ contacts on iPhones, some are business contacts. That really can't be the solution.

UPDATE -- So now AT&T contacted Apple and guessed that my wife and i were sharing an apple ID between our two phones - this is correct. They say that since there is still an iPhone listed under my apple ID, even though I deleted the registration for my iPhone in my apple account, that the apple system will still try to send iMessages to my number instead of text messages.

Last edited:

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
You can try a PW reset. You can try to unregister the iPhone at supportprofile.apple.com. If those don't work after a day or two and you can't get back to that iPhone, you may have to wait 40 days or so for your number to expire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss