Lumia 920 Screen Scratches

NoIX

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well now I feel better to know there other with the same (an even worse :p) problem as I.
Yesterday I realized I had to really small, and to be honest, hard to see not deep scratches in the middle of my screen.
I bet if I let someone else have a look they won?t see them but my OC is killing me :(
I also saw the hammer and knife test video, so I?m really confused on how the **** I managed to scratch it and was willing to carry my 920 without screen protector or case, but now I think I'll buy at least a screen protector :confused:

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure my wedding ring (Tungsten) caused the light scratches on mine.

I just got the Armorsuit from Amazon for $10 (got it in a day). I've used Zagg Invisible before, and it was okay.

The Armorsuit has a very clean look. I'm guessing it is similar to the Zagg Invisible Shield HD. There are a few noticeable flaws with my install ( a couple specs of dust got under, and I didn't smooth it perfectly. Still, I can only see that under the right angle of light.

The application was the same as Zagg. My only concern is with the curved glass and the armorsuit peeling off as a result. However, that will probably be an issue with all protectors. Overall, not really any "orange peel" effect, and I really don't notice the protector. I highly recommend it so far.

Keep in mind that YOU can make it look crappy by doing a crappy install. I would post a picture, but I don't have any way to right now.

Scooby_Boostin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Deep scratches? I had a couple hair lines at the top part of the screen. Got a zagg and now I don't have to worry about it! Gorilla glass is scratch resistant and not proof is exactly right.
Sent from my Black Lumia 920 using Board Express

JonesCK1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Weird. I've dropped my trophy hundreds of times, not a scratch on it. Is gorilla glass 2 worse than original gorilla glass?

Gorilla glass 2 is advertised as being just as strong as Gorilla Glass 1 with up to a 20% reduction.

"Corning Gorilla Glass 2 enables up to a 20 percent reduction in glass thickness, while maintaining the industry-leading damage resistance"

Unfortunately some manufacturers will want to make their device lighter/thinner and will make the glass paper thin which leads to breaking, I personally don't care about the weight and rather reap the full benefit of Gorilla Glass 2 and thankfully I think Nokia did just that with the Lumia, the glass is pretty thick :)

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I have 0 idea how these people are scratching theirs. I used the prong end of a force on my touchscreen just to show a friend.

I have about 10 scratches on mine.

And to anyone who claims people are being too rough with your phone. You are wrong. I baby the **** out of my phone. These aren't scratches in the glass, they are scratches in the oleophobic coating.

LOL...contradict yourself much?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
My 900 has zero scratches on it and it has always been unprotected. It's either scuffs on the coating, or you guys are careless.

For example, I ALWAYS make sure there is nothing in my pocket before I put my phone in. No dust, sand, coins etc. I always make sure that the fabric/material the pocket is made out of will not scratch the phone either. Its not that hard if you are conscious about it.

I also make sure that if the pocket will ever be under tension (tight jeans with front pockets for example) that the screen is positioned so that the surface tension of the pocket is to the backside of the phone.

mattgrif

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I have some minor scratches on my screen also, I'm very anal when it comes to scratches and I haven't dropped this phone once and I keep it in my pocket, on my desk or on my night stand. I was wanting to know if anyone has had luck getting your phone exchanged? It seems like this might be a defect on a select number of phones. I was expecting the back to scratch before the front.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
My 900 has zero scratches on it and it has always been unprotected. It's either scuffs on the coating, or you guys are careless.

For example, I ALWAYS make sure there is nothing in my pocket before I put my phone in. No dust, sand, coins etc. I always make sure that the fabric/material the pocket is made out of will not scratch the phone either. Its not that hard if you are conscious about it.

I also make sure that if the pocket will ever be under tension (tight jeans with front pockets for example) that the screen is positioned so that the surface tension of the pocket is to the backside of the phone.

"Yes" to everything you mentioned. Carelessness is NOT the cause. The oleophobic coating is apparently very susceptible to getting scuffed up.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

mikewp

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Not sure a person could get much more careless with their phone than me. I have had my 800 and now my 920 with me hiking, thrown in the center console, put in my cup holder, in my pocket with keys or change, out at the beach with me laying on my towel that has sand on it, put in my backpack pocket that has sand from the beach. NOT ONE scratch. "honest, i just moved it from an open book page and this deep scratch appeared" BS. Obviously some have scratched their phone...proven by the photos, but the circumstances aren't as innocent as portrayed. That Gorilla Glass is some tough **** and it takes something harder than it to scratch it.

aewatsonsr77

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I purchased two Lumia 920's for me and the wife on launch day (switched from the iPhone 5). I have black and she has red. A few days ago I noticed a deep scratch along with two more shallow ones on the screen. I have yet to drop the phone and it hasn't come in contact with any sharp objects. This is truly baffling to me but luckily my local AT&T store agreed to swap it out for me as soon as they receive more phones.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I purchased two Lumia 920's for me and the wife on launch day (switched from the iPhone 5). I have black and she has red. A few days ago I noticed a deep scratch along with two more shallow ones on the screen. I have yet to drop the phone and it hasn't come in contact with any sharp objects. This is truly baffling to me but luckily my local AT&T store agreed to swap it out for me as soon as they receive more phones.

Not that baffling really. It's the oleophobic coating like we have stated. A grain of sand being pushed against it could cause it to scratch.

thekonger

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine since launch day, pretty normal wear and tear. Maybe it's a production issue with that batch of GG2? Mine is still as smooth as... glass

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Not sure a person could get much more careless with their phone than me. I have had my 800 and now my 920 with me hiking, thrown in the center console, put in my cup holder, in my pocket with keys or change, out at the beach with me laying on my towel that has sand on it, put in my backpack pocket that has sand from the beach. NOT ONE scratch. "honest, i just moved it from an open book page and this deep scratch appeared" BS. Obviously some have scratched their phone...proven by the photos, but the circumstances aren't as innocent as portrayed. That Gorilla Glass is some tough **** and it takes something harder than it to scratch it.
Nope, not BS. It honestly slid two inches slowly across my desk at work. I'm as dumb founded as you how it happened. Why the **** would I lie about it how it happened? I'm not trying trying to get my money back from a ****ing forum.

Also the fact that the scratch is indented is telling imo that it is indeed the coating that was scratched and not the glass (not that it matters any way for me though).

BigReub

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have quite a few scratches that seem to be deep. I treat it no differently than my 2 year old iphone 4 and have never experienced anything like this. Now, hoestly, I'm never very nice to my phones and I did spend about 15 minutes in the same pocket as my keys but it looks like its been through a rock tumbler. So super sad about that. Is there an oleophopic coating on this phone? I'm thinking about just hitting it with some iDrops and seeing if I can get it past the point of having to stare at the tic-tac-toe boards on my phone.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not BS. I had my Focus for 2 years, as did my wife, and the screens are still utterly flawless. If the Lumia 920 is scratching this easily then something is clearly wrong with their implementation of it, or some additional layer on top of it rendering the Gorilla Glass pointless. My 2 week old 920 still looks flawless, but I am very concerned after reading these posts.

xH4RRYx

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I've been really careful with mine and i have 2 or three noticeable scratches but when you turn the screen off they become really obvious :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077