I think I have a faulty sensor

Vito Scaletta

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping someone will be willing to help me out here.

I noticed tiny red, blue, and white dots in some of my darkest night shots, I've been looking at other peoples night shots but it's hard to tell if others are having the same issue or if it's just my sensor.

Could someone set their iso to 100, turn off the flash and take a photo in total darkness for me?

I've attached a photo I took under a cushion. If you zoom in you'll see all the little dots.

As I crank up the ISO the problem improves but at 800 there is a really obvious bright red dot and a few other dots that are always in the exact same place.

If no one else seems to have this problem then I'll exchange my handset.

Thanks.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I get this as well. I'm not bothered. It's only visible when you zoom in all the way.

Here is a cropped shot I took.

hdlPt.jpg

But it looks fine when you look at the whole image.

Y7OoR.jpg

Vito Scaletta

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It looks like your's has it but it doesn't look as bad as on mine. I wouldn't mind as much but there is one really bright red dot that always shows up on a black background at high ISO's and tons of little ones at low ISO's.

It's such a pain to exchange it, even if I can just swap it over I lose all my game saves which means I'll probably not bother starting the games I've bought again.

What's yours like with black at 100 ISO?

I wonder what the heck is causing it?

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It looks like your's has it but it doesn't look as bad as on mine. I wouldn't mind as much but there is one really bright red dot that always shows up on a black background at high ISO's and tons of little ones at low ISO's.

It's such a pain to exchange it, even if I can just swap it over I lose all my game saves which means I'll probably not bother starting the games I've bought again.

What's yours like with black at 100 ISO?

I wonder what the heck is causing it?

My pic is at ISO 100.

I found this website explaining it, it's called "hot pixels".

Hot Pixels

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Those are hot pixels, thing is though that pretty much every camera has these unless your talking about a $5,000+ camera its just that they're less apparent at higher shutter speeds. Reason your seeing them there is because with the ISO set at 100 the camera has to compensate with the shutter at a low setting (open longer) and thats when those dead pixels become more apparent because they're getting "hot" so to speak after receiving light for a longer period of time so at higher ISO the camera will turn up the shutter and you shouldn't see those. Some cameras have more of them than others though so if it really bothers you, you could try exchanging it and seeing if you get a better sensor, I wouldn't bother though since there is really no reason to be shooting at ISO100 in the dark.

Vito Scaletta

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing, it seems in auto mode the camera sometimes uses 100/200 ISO in a low light photo, presumably because this normally causes less noise? So I've had a couple of low light photos covered in these dots. Also at 800 ISO there is one really bright red dot that seems to take up about 50 pixels if I count them.

I'm going to exchange it tomorrow hopefully. If anyone could actually try taking a photo in total darkness at 100 and 800 ISO I would be really grateful to see if this is something all the sensors suffer from just as much or if mine is particularly bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett