I need some advice

rubynokia

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hear me out guys, I have an Iphone 4 and I am due for an upgrade. I am highly considering the Nokia lumia 920 for me, wife and friend will be buying based on my decision. So 3 920s are on my decision. I wanted this phone after reading MANY reviews prior to full launch at ATT stores. Not that it has launched I am on this forum and so many people are reporting issues that it sounds disheartening.

Between the daylight camera blurriness, overheating, poor app support, crashing, lagging, IE10 issues, Vibrating insanely, crackled speakers, bluetooth malfunction and I might be missing a few. It's just this is all so sad, to be tied to a phone for 2 years and have all these issues out on launch makes you wonder how bad it might be going forward. At least with the iPhone 4 it just worked, I never had a true issue with it. Granted ios Maps sucks bad now, but everything else just works.

Help me understand these issues and maybe come to a good purchasing decision.

This is what I need a phone for:

I run an online business(need to be able to charge credit cards on phone)
Play video games
photography enthusiast
music enthusiast
Note taking
Finance(banking, stock market)

all in all just simplify my hectic schedule/life

thanks in advance

texantony

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Maybe someone else can chip in on the online business part, but there are plenty of games, apps, notes is easy, just press windows button and say "note" and your note will be written. You have Nokia Music for free, and plenty of stock apps like etrade, wikinvest, etc.

By the way, I've gone through iPhone (up to 4S) and the 4 was the worst. Signal issues because of the metal around it was the worst problem. There is no perfect phone and like someone said in the forum, if you need to be convinced to get a different phone then maybe you shouldn't. And I agree. All you are going to end up doing is comparing left and right. This doesn't do what my phone did and this doesn't do that, etc.

That's the tough part about being the new kid on the block. All eyes are on you. Anyhow, all those things you mentioned are people just looking to for issues. I haven't had Bluetooth issues, or crackling noise, or IE lag. IE actually works great, love the speed. No daylight photos yet but go look at my night photos that I posted. Amazing quality for a phone.

Good luck.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Iamdunne

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Look at any forum and most people at least at launch are coming with concerns, not to sing praises. I know this was the case with my last 2 android phones. This is my 8th smart phone and I have gotten several at launch and as exciting as it is we are all beta testers as one old cell phone commercial goes. If you don't want to deal with that then better to wait a few months after the updates from the bugs that are discovered after launch. I have bailed a couple times when deciding too many bugs and not enough time. Hoping that isn't the case on this phone because there is too much too like about it and the ecosystem.

rubynokia

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i can see a lot of the issues being fixed through a firmware fix if they got there act together, but what about the over heating problem. Thats kinda a big concern

LazyLemming

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hear me out guys, I have an Iphone 4 and I am due for an upgrade. I am highly considering the Nokia lumia 920 for me, wife and friend will be buying based on my decision. So 3 920s are on my decision. I wanted this phone after reading MANY reviews prior to full launch at ATT stores. Not that it has launched I am on this forum and so many people are reporting issues that it sounds disheartening.

Between the daylight camera blurriness, overheating, poor app support, crashing, lagging, IE10 issues, Vibrating insanely, crackled speakers, bluetooth malfunction and I might be missing a few. It's just this is all so sad, to be tied to a phone for 2 years and have all these issues out on launch makes you wonder how bad it might be going forward. At least with the iPhone 4 it just worked, I never had a true issue with it. Granted ios Maps sucks bad now, but everything else just works.

Play video games
photography enthusiast
music enthusiast
Note taking

thanks in advance
Keep in mind, a lot of the issues people are reporting appear to be software related.

Many people have had the battery issues fixed by changing/removing apps or settings.
I think we're still trying to figure out the overheats, but it appears to simply be apps causing retardedly high battery drains, which causes it to heat up.
The vibration issues aren't uncommon, but they're definitely not every phone. The Bluetooth issues *I* think are just software issues with specific systems.

I keep seeing the reviews stating issues with daylight photos, but I think mine look pretty damn good. They may not be better than the S3s, but they aren't far behind. And indoor/night photos are 1000 times better.

The big question is, how invested are you into the IOS system? My roommate has been an Iphone user since the first one. She wants badly to switch to a Nokia Lumia 920 like mine but has hundreds of dollars invested into iTunes stuff that can't easily be transferred.

Your other option is, talk to AT&T. You have at least a 14 day period to test out your phone and see how you like it. Since you're a business, you may even talk them into giving you a seperate trial without having to make changes to your account. They do it for our business, though we're a good bit larger than 3 phones :) So you can grab a 920 and see how it works for you :)

TomHensley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Your other option is, talk to AT&T. You have at least a 14 day period to test out your phone and see how you like it. ... So you can grab a 920 and see how it works for you :)

Best advise in the thread right there in my opinion...

I'm doing that same thing really, in my area Verizon is king and ATT is lagging on the network side. I decided to trial it for 14 days to see if it will work for me and if not, then no regrets.

So far, I like the phone, yeah the vibrate seems a bit unrefined and yeah my battery life was marginal until I turned off Nokia Maps in the background. The camera is nice and I expect that it will be even better with a firmware update (I'm a semi-pro 'tog and that was a major reason why I wanted the Lumia 920 over anything Verizon has. I don't always have my DSLR with me, but I do always have my phone).

The rest of your concerns haven't been problems for me. It gets warm if I'm working it, mostly heavy data use, the apps will come but need some time but I'm not a big app user (although I do miss a couple that haven't been developed yet), speakers seem fine, hasn't shown any signs of instability, bluetooth seems to work fine...

Like I said, give it a 14 day try with just one line and if you don't like it then don't keep it, but if you do... :).

tlegend2012

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site

Play video games
photography enthusiast
music enthusiast
Note taking

thanks in advance
Lumia 920s might have some Firmware issues, that can be solved with one update... I wouldn't invest money into an IPhone... Windows/Android Phones can do much more than an Iphone.. Iphone is the same and will be the same... If you need productivity then I'd say windows.. I run an online business as well.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

Play video games
photography enthusiast
music enthusiast
Note taking

thanks in advance

My advice to you would be to get the Lumia 920. The reason i am giving you this advice? I have owned every single high end nokia phone since the N90 all the way up to the N9 over the years and if its one thing nokia is great an consistent at ,that is releasing firmware updates to fix all the little niggles that you speak off.

Wont be too long before nokia issues a firmware update fixing most if not all of the issues folks are having.

I have owned enough Nokia devices to make this judgement. :cool:

Kilo42

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Got my black Nokia Lumia 920 4 days ago on Friday. The build quality from Nokia imo is great, wp8 OS is really enjoyable, I have no vibration issues. Battery drain was my biggest issue on Sunday 2 days ago. My previous phone was an iPhone 3GS, wp8 OS has been a bit of a learning curve for me. Sunday my new phone was dead in 8.5 hrs of moderate use but since yesterday and learning about how to turn a few things off like Nokia Drive and NFC so far the battery is working about 40% better.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
In terms of photography (as a total amateur) I'm thrilled that the Lumia 920 has finally made evening/nighttime photography not only feasible but easy to get good pics with point-and-shoot and no settings futzing or post-processing. Sure you could improve the photos but to be able to snap something at twilight and have it actually be a good photo is fantastic for me! Some examples I took last night here.

As someone who listens to LOTS of music at work, the dolby digital + equalizer make for great sound. The display? Gorgeous? Build quality? Excellent!

As others have mentioned people with issues are much more likely to post than someone happily fiddling with their new phone, so don't try to read too much into the series of issues-posts. Loving mine so far.

Mpm277

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had marginal battery life with my 920 and hoping a firmware update fixes it. The camera is definitely better than my iPhone 4 - both indoor and outdoor - you can check out the comparisons I posted in the pictures thread.

The vibration doesn't bother me. My iPhone's vibrate never.. literally never got my attention.

I've only noticed my 920 getting warm once. It was plugged into the charger and undergoing heavy data usage. I didn't think much of it since my iPhone 4 gets hot as well when using it a lot.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Most of the issues are really a minority of people reporting them. The reason you see a lot of issues posted on these forums is because people are more likely to come here to get help about something rather than posting here to say stuff like, "bluetooth rocks on this phone!" or "IE10 is too perfect for words", etc. It's in our nature to post/discuss problems rather than what's working right.

The majority of us have no issues with our phones. Personally I don't have any of the issues you stated in the first post, it's a solid, extremely fast, and awesome phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss