Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Davidkoh
  • 3 Post By vp710
  • 1 Post By igoramadas

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I wonder which performs better. Can an audiophile please tell me which phone provide better sound quality? Also comment on the high, mids and lows. I think the 8X have a strong mids and lows. I've heard that the 8X has an additional amplifier. The 920 doesn't, and is not loud enough at highest volume. I believe that Beats is just gimmicky.
    I'm currently using an iPhone4s. I'm using a Westone 3. It sounds quite amazing with the iPhone4s actually. (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Ups

Thanked by:

The biggest gripe I have with the Windows Phone audio is no separate audio control for music like the iPhone. One thing I noticed with the 920 is that the sounds are lower so you have to turn up the volume louder. On my 920 I have to turn the volume up to 20. So far the equalizer and dolby headphone sound better than my old Samsung Focus which sucked for music playback.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Oh no:/ I'm at 7/8 volume on my iPhone. Does this mean that the 920 doesn't support this much gain?

the sound quality is pretty comparable. I don't know exactly what sound card is used in the Nokia 920, but I know that the 4s's is top of the line. On the other hand, the music player is just terrible in comparison to ios's.

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holyxiaoxin View Post
    I wonder which performs better. Can an audiophile please tell me which phone provide better sound quality? Also comment on the high, mids and lows. I think the 8X have a strong mids and lows. I've heard that the 8X has an additional amplifier. The 920 doesn't, and is not loud enough at highest volume. I believe that Beats is just gimmicky.
    I'm currently using an iPhone4s. I'm using a Westone 3. It sounds quite amazing with the iPhone4s actually. (:

I would answer 8x Beats > iphone4s > 920 Dolby. The Dolby Headphone is great for movie listening. Not so great for quality audiophile music listening. The only device I haven't listened to is the 8x (Beats), but I would bet that the added amp gets a bit more loudness without distortion over all others.

With my (now sold) iPhone, I would always hook up my portable FiiO DAC/Amp using the LOD connector.

My guess is they all are pretty bad due to bad DACs. Phone manufacturers seem to put 0 effort into using good DACs inside their smartphones, no amp or EQ can ever fix that. That said I think they will all be about the same.
    vp710 likes this.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I had an iPhone 4 before I got my new Lumia 920 a couple of days ago. Comparing both, by listening with my Beats Studio headphones, I can say that both, the iPhone and Lumia 920 are having a good quality sound (for smartphones).

I was satisfied with the iPhone and I am satisfied with the Lumia 920 now! :)

I am not an audiophile, just a normal user who likes listening to music. Unfortunately I haven't tried my Beats Studios with an HTC 8X, reckon it would sound best with this phone though..

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Just when I thought Dolby headphones would provide the best sound quality:/ guess I'll have to use external amps

Global Posts
    449 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by autumnride View Post
    with my Beats Studio headphones
    pjs37, holyxiaoxin and Yepez like this.

Rule 1: post processing might do good on video, but is NEVER good on audio. So for music it's better leaving all Dolby something, Beats something, Blah something off.
    Rule 2: there are absolutely no mobile phones for audiophiles as of today. Some might have a bit more noise, some a bit less, some a flatter frequency response... but never a really good sound output.

I had an iPhone 3GS, 4S, Lumia 800 and now a Lumia 920. Sound quality wise, the 3GS is behind but the others are quite similar (the Lumia 800 was really bad before the last firmware update thou). You can reach higher volumes with the 4S, but I never pass the 80% mark anyways.

Never tried the 8X, having a dedicated dac/amp there *might* help, in theory. I still think whenever audio quality is involved, size matters, and you can't do much magic with such small components.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by vp710 View Post
    Ive seen the beats studio headphones - the knock them out for 10 a set in Camden Market

On a more serious note I have noticed that the beats audio in the 8X has increased the volume and the quality of the bass a small amount - coming from an HTC HD7 i used to have the volume at 25 and that was just about bearable without any distortion with the beats audio enabled on the 8X i get the same volume at 20 but the bass is lower and better quality. Cant compare it to the 920 or the iphone as i havent got either. Should be able to do an 8X - 920 comparison towards the end of the week when one of my colleagues picks up his 920

Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I am currently expecting my Lumia 920, and will do a review of this when I get it.

I am currently using iPhone 4S with my Monster Dr. Dre Studio Headphones, where the sound is fine.

The iPhone's equaliser does NOT work with ANY other app except with the native iOS music app. So I have a question. For the Lumia 920, does the equaliser work on other apps except the native music app?

I also got my brand new Nokia-Monster HD headphones which I'll review later, but from what I have heard so far, the Dr. Dre ones are abit better tbh - just know that the cord for the Nokia ones makes the iPhone go beserk, it shifts the volume up and down, noisy sounds come up and down etc, so I had to use my Dr. Dre cord for my iPhone 4S.

Why, why, why people keep buying Beats headphones!?!?!?!?!?

What am I missing here!?
    Thanked by:
    randomscandinavian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmc78 View Post
    Ive seen the beats studio headphones - the knock them out for 10 a set in Camden Market
    Theres a huge market for fake Beats headphones. Even legit looking sellers on ebay & Amazon have been seen flogging fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by igoramadas View Post

What am I missing here!?
    I know what you mean i tried a set of Beats out and couldn't tell the difference in quality to a set of Skull Candy Hesh. Beats were 250 Skull Candy's were 50 reduced to 35 - No Brainer.
    Thanked by:

Why do people buy any designer brand?

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Mimetic Desire

Quote Originally Posted by SnailUK View Post
    Well I kinda understand (doesn't mean that I agree) if someone spends **** loads with clothes for example, because their main selling point is status, fashion, etc. So you get the status, fair enough.

But I missed the day in which headphones started being a fashion accessory. And even IF they would be just that, accessories, I don't think all these people with any of the Beats range bought these phones just because they are supposed to look good. I've seen people buying one because they really thought they were "high fidelity".

And it brings us to the point: marketing is geniusly evil!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    410 Global Posts

What am I missing here!?
    I'm just guessing but I suspect part of the appeal it the exaggerated bass. Some guys drive cars with thumping subwoofers and I think Beats is the headphone equivalent.

Global Posts
    382 Global Posts
    What format do audiophiles use for their music on these smartphones? I am curious, because I would guess that the majority of users have mp3's or whatever version itunes uses (mp4?) that are both highly compressed.

Now, this doesn't mean the same for those people in this forum, as I have found that the people would join forums are the minority when it comes to owners...but my point is, isn't there a limit as to how good this music will sound, regardless of the hardware, since most of the time the music file itself is a compressed format?

Quote Originally Posted by congusano View Post
    What format do audiophiles use for their music on these smartphones? I am curious, because I would guess that the majority of users have mp3's or whatever version itunes uses (mp4?) that are both highly compressed.

Now, this doesn't mean the same for those people in this forum, as I have found that the people would join forums are the minority when it comes to owners...but my point is, isn't there a limit as to how good this music will sound, regardless of the hardware, since most of the time the music file itself is a compressed format?
    I would say you wont hit that limit with a phone. I have no trouble finding hardware for my home stereo that will make Spotify sound better, and in total I've spent many thousand dollars on it.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Alright guys, lets not sidetrack:P we're not here on a discussion on our expensive dac at home:P but I dreamt of owning a genesis actually :P

Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktay Gardener View Post
    I am currently expecting my Lumia 920, and will do a review of this when I get it.

I am currently using iPhone 4S with my Monster Dr. Dre Studio Headphones, where the sound is fine.

The iPhone's equaliser does NOT work with ANY other app except with the native iOS music app. So I have a question. For the Lumia 920, does the equaliser work on other apps except the native music app?

I also got my brand new Nokia-Monster HD headphones which I'll review later, but from what I have heard so far, the Dr. Dre ones are abit better tbh - just know that the cord for the Nokia ones makes the iPhone go beserk, it shifts the volume up and down, noisy sounds come up and down etc, so I had to use my Dr. Dre cord for my iPhone 4S.
    Yes, the EQ settings along with the Dolby feature works all throughout the operating system. It isn't limited as on the iPhone (I hated that!). I've used Dolby Headphone with 5.1 vids using the Plex app, as well as use the EQ settings playing music with Plex, Nokia Music, and the built-in Music app.
    Thanked by: