Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Wondering if any others out there with Matte Black have the same issue with my 920 that appears to be heat related.

Also wondering if those with other colors note the same issue? (discoloration or warping on the top right of the phone - opposite of the SIM door).

My unit has gotten particularly hot at times - and while the pics don't really do it justice - the discoloration is very noticeable in person.

I can "wipe" away the discoloration to a certain extent (vigorously using my t-shirt) - but it really depends on which way you wipe it, and, if I use the phone for an extended amount of time and it heats up again - the "spot" or discoloration re-appears.

Don't get me wrong - I expected some discoloration with the Matte Black (based on skin/oil, etc.) - and I can probably live with it anyway after the "newness" of the phone wears off.. :P. However - I'm currently evaluating swapping to either White, Red, or the Matte Cyan - assuming they don't exhibit the same issue - even though I'm not a big fan of the Glossy colors.

With that in mind - I'm wondering if this is common place with all the matte black phones out there based on real-world (and if so - that makes my decision a little easier) - or if this is truly just with my unit alone (which I'll just replace with another Matte Black once I can find a store around me that has them in stock again).

Link: (photos are using my old iPhone 4s - forgive the quality of the pics.. )

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=702E4...839AB939%21108

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=702E4...839AB939%21109

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=702E4...839AB939%21110
    I have the matte black and my phone is not discolored like that at all. I do have the heat issue but I dont think that has to do with just the black phones. I think these phones may just run a bit hot at times. My boss as the GSIII and his phone get much hotter than my 920. If I find someone else with a 920 that does not get hot after constant use then I may consider exchanging mine.

As for the discoloration I dont think that is normal so you may want to get an exchange on it.

Several people have reported heat issues. I think we're all still trying to decide if it's anomalous units or all 920s.

Mine gets hot as **** when running Crackle on Cellular but not on Wifi. I turned off Nokia Drive in the background tasks and removed Crackle, haven't had an issue with HOT since.

High bandwith eats your battery fast (Crackle uses crazy amounts of data). Faster your battery gets eaten, the hotter the phone gets. The only question is, is this normal for a Nokia 920 or are there a lot of defective units.

Mine doesn't get hot at all but it does have a little discoloration on the bottom like that. I think it's more a function of the material used. It almost looks like a mark from ejecting the piece from the mold. The straight line suggest that it's not a smudge from our fingers or something. I'm not going to worry about it.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks - have you run the GPS for a long time at any point? I know the first time I ran Nokia Drive in my car for about a 30-40 minute drive - that's the first time I remember seeing the discoloration show up.

Also - to be clear - it's not warped or anything - it's just a slightly different shade of black in that area where it gets pretty hot.

I'm a *really* big fan of the black matte compared to the other colors - so I'll probably swap it out. I also have an issue with the earpiece being distorted when set to 8-10 on calls. Though I believe that can probably fixed with a firmware/software update (have had other phones in the past that exhibited the same behavior that were fixed later with a patch/update).
    I have a theory that the first runs of the 920 were the white and black since that seems to be what is most readily available. First runs of anything are more prone to problems.

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ridges View Post
    Mine doesn't get hot at all but it does have a little discoloration on the bottom like that. I think it's more a function of the material used. It almost looks like a mark from ejecting the piece from the mold. The straight line suggest that it's not a smudge from our fingers or something. I'm not going to worry about it.
    Yep - I think over time, especially after constant handling - it'd possibly go away or not be noticeable. Again - it's that "newness" factor.. :)

My unit also has a mark/line similar to what you're referring to across the SIM card slot/door that I believe was a byproduct of the manufacturing process. This issue showed up later after use though - and appears to be almost like a "square" where the antenna (or whatever it is at that location in the phone) is getting a bit too hot and making the polycarbonate discolor a bit.

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I have the same issue and shows up at the top and bottom of the phone as well as parts of the back. It did start happening after the phone got really hot while using it on its charger. A bit of alcohol helped reduce the discoloration but it does keep coming back.