We made some changes

Our new forums are here!

Saving money on data

Mint SIM is the perfect way to get cheap data in the U.S.

Don't count Windows Phone out just yet

Dead? Psh. Here are 5 reasons to stick with Windows 10 Mobile

VPN vs. Proxy

The difference between a proxy and a VPN

Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 97
Like Tree5Likes
  1. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Can anyone who purchased a Lumia 920 from rogers this week confirm whether or not the 920 comes locked or unlocked. I am aware the first batch last week was unlocked but haven't heard of this second batch coming locked or unlocked.

    I called a few corporate stores, none had it in my area, but called a small rogers plus booth in a mall believe it or not and they told me they just received stock.

    They told me it came locked, but I am not convinced as they probably would have said that for the last batch as well.

    Hoping someone can clarify for me and others wondering, thanks!
  2. TheBadGuy_88's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    153 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    im curious to know as well, I purchased the att version from BestBuy but after a few days with it I think I want to take it back and exchange it for the rogers version from negri electronics... my device has the that weird tint on the capacitive buttons and the weird vibration problem...
  3. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadGuy_88 View Post
    im curious to know as well, I purchased the att version from BestBuy but after a few days with it I think I want to take it back and exchange it for the rogers version from negri electronics... my device has the that weird tint on the capacitive buttons and the weird vibration problem...
    Apparently this batch comes locked, one user has reported this over at Howard Forums.

    They also noted the buttons at the bottom seemed whiter than the first batch which seemed to have a yellow tint.
    TheBadGuy_88 likes this.
  4. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Apparently this batch comes locked, one user has reported this over at Howard Forums.

    They also noted the buttons at the bottom seemed whiter than the first batch which seemed to have a yellow tint.
    Someone at Rogers forum said he bought outright but the phone is locked. However, another guy at XDA said he will receive the unlock code from Roger for $50 (CAD), and also he tried to pay $25 at a website to see if they can send the unlock code before Rogers. So for Rogers, I think we can buy it outright and unlock it either pay for it at somewhere or hope it unlocks out of the box, unlike AT&T.
  5. EG8196's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    Someone at Rogers forum said he bought outright but the phone is locked. However, another guy at XDA said he will receive the unlock code from Roger for $50 (CAD), and also he tried to pay $25 at a website to see if they can send the unlock code before Rogers. So for Rogers, I think we can buy it outright and unlock it either pay for it at somewhere or hope it unlocks out of the box, unlike AT&T.
    The cheapest price for the unlock code is $15
  6. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by EG8196 View Post
    The cheapest price for the unlock code is $15
    Where would that be? No way I am going to throw $50 at rogers for a code.
  7. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Where would that be? No way I am going to throw $50 at rogers for a code.
    I think this:
    Canada GSM leading cell phones provider
  8. Rockstar Beaver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    Just bought a Lumia 920 at a Rogers Plus store here in Regina. They only got one in and I was the lucky person to get it :). Just waiting for a unlock code at Canada GSM leading cell phones provider . I will let you guys know how it goes.
  9. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar Beaver View Post
    Just bought a Lumia 920 at a Rogers Plus store here in Regina. They only got one in and I was the lucky person to get it :). Just waiting for a unlock code at Canada GSM leading cell phones provider . I will let you guys know how it goes.
    Someone from Howardforum said that he succeed to put Fido to work with the Roger. I just wonder if the device is locked, how it possible for him to put a Fido sim to get it work. Unless he was talking about his device being unlocked. Can you confirm this?
  10. Rockstar Beaver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    Someone from Howardforum said that he succeed to put Fido to work with the Roger. I just wonder if the device is locked, how it possible for him to put a Fido sim to get it work. Unless he was talking about his device being unlocked. Can you confirm this?
    I have a sasktel sim for work and a rogers sim for personal. When I put my sasktel sim in the phone it is locked. So the batch I received is locked to Rogers.
    Xsever likes this.
  11. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar Beaver View Post
    I have a sasktel sim for work and a rogers sim for personal. When I put my sasktel sim in the phone it is locked. So the batch I received is locked to Rogers.
    So after all did you request the unlock code from Roger or you just waiting for the code from other website to get it unlocked?

    P/s: I search for Sasktel and somewhere it said Sasktel uses CDMA. Are they using GSM right now?
  12. Rockstar Beaver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    So after all did you request the unlock code from Roger or you just waiting for the code from other website to get it unlocked?

    P/s: I search for Sasktel and somewhere it said Sasktel uses CDMA. Are they using GSM right now?
    I am just waiting for the code from other website to get it unlocked. Sasktel is using GSM now and will be getting LTE in the major centres very soon.
  13. spincel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    131 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockstar Beaver View Post
    I am just waiting for the code from other website to get it unlocked. Sasktel is using GSM now and will be getting LTE in the major centres very soon.
    Hope to hear from you soon about the code. I checked out XDA, Howardforum, this forum and got mixed results. Really hope the phone will be unlocked right out of the box or at least it could be done quickly, unlike AT&T. Negri supposed to have stock by tomorrow and I will contact them to ask about this.

    P/s: Btw, do the headphone include in the box because I see Roger lists it in their website.
  14. Rockstar Beaver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    P/s: Btw, do the headphone include in the box because I see Roger lists it in their website.
    Yes it does. As soon as I get the code I will let you know if it works.
  15. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    That place is $25, the one he was speaking of was $15. Unless it was a typo.
  16. MAERSK's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    213 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post

    P/s: Btw, do the headphone include in the box because I see Roger lists it in their website.
    All Nokia phones with original Nokia boxes come with matching colored earbuds... unlike subsidized crappy boxes.
  17. wp7USER's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Apparently this batch comes locked, one user has reported this over at Howard Forums.

    They also noted the buttons at the bottom seemed whiter than the first batch which seemed to have a yellow tint.
    Um I bought one yesterday, today or whatever you wanna call it and the buttons at the bottom have a yellow tint. I tried a fido sim in it and it worked. But am still not sure if its unlocked because I've heard on other forums that fido sims work in rogers phones without unlocking so am not sure till I can actually try a wind mobile sim in it to confirm. I would truly be upset because I just purchased an unlock code:mad:
  18. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by wp7USER View Post
    Um I bought one yesterday, today or whatever you wanna call it and the buttons at the bottom have a yellow tint. I tried a fido sim in it and it worked. But am still not sure if its unlocked because I've heard on other forums that fido sims work in rogers phones without unlocking so am not sure till I can actually try a wind mobile sim in it to confirm. I would truly be upset because I just purchased an unlock code:mad:
    Yeah I've heard even if the phones locked to rogers fido sims work in them, so its probably still locked. Still waiting on someone to test a Wind SIM in an unlocked one though
  19. snailium's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by spincel View Post
    Someone from Howardforum said that he succeed to put Fido to work with the Roger. I just wonder if the device is locked, how it possible for him to put a Fido sim to get it work. Unless he was talking about his device being unlocked. Can you confirm this?
    Basically, Rogers and Fido are the same company. They use the same network. Although the MNCs are different, I think the network lock approves all MNCs they have. So, not a surprise if Fido SIM works on locked Rogers phone.

    If a wind SIM or Bell SIM is working on 920, that proves it is fully unlocked.
  20. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #20  
    Can someone confirm if the second batch as Rogers logo plastered on the phone?
  21. Balkan Eddy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Ok i just got Lumia 920 form Rogers in Toronto today and it's definitely unlocked,
    well im on Fido so since Rogers owns Fido it might be that only Fido sim cards work with Rogers Lumia.
    It might be the case from the beginning, since the guy who tried last week he tried Fido card too.

    I dont have any other sim to try, but i can assure you that FIDO works.
    And the phone is unbranded there is no Rogers print on the phone itself only when you start-up the phone rogers logo appears.
  22. mapleleafs89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #22  
    Anyone get their unlock code yet?
  23. Rockstar Beaver's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by mapleleafs89 View Post
    Anyone get their unlock code yet?
    Not yet, I tried a 3rd party unlock website and they could not unlock the phone, they refunded my money and I am currently trying another site.
  24. Matt Fara's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    60 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    I tried cellunlocker.net, they couldn't unlock it and refunded my payment.
    I'm on Fido, so the phone IS working, I was just hoping unlocking it would get rid of the Rogers logo on start-up.
  25. Noob1ee's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fara View Post
    I tried cellunlocker.net, they couldn't unlock it and refunded my payment.
    I'm on Fido, so the phone IS working, I was just hoping unlocking it would get rid of the Rogers logo on start-up.
    I don't believe unlocking the phone would get rid of the Rogers logo at start-up. In order to remove the logo, you'd either have to flash the phone to another ROM or modify something interal in the phone.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";