Whether we Like it or not lets face it

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This Nokia / MS launch has been a huge fail and very poorly executed. Lets call it for what it really is and not beat around the bush.

Although I have already ordered an unlocked Lumia 920 which after being told I would get it last week, and now being told I have to wait another week because of a delay in getting stock. That just tells the story right there.

No wave of advertising of the Lumia 920 and 820s as was being touted by MS and Nokia.

Added to that, almost all the AT&T stores I have been to in Manhattan have told me that with their initial stock of 6 phones sold out last Friday they are yet to receive any new stock of phones. On top of that, a lot of people who pre ordered online from AT&T are still waiting for their phones patiently and for some their patience is wearing thin and rightfully so.

And those folks who are lucky enough to have gotten their phones from AT&T and from their pre order are reporting enough problems to keep this forum extra busy and forum members on their toes waiting and watching the forums every day only to see new problems pop up about the 920.

I have bought a lot of phones from nokia over the years and this was the last thing I was expecting from them or Microsoft. I expected them to hit the ground running hot , not their phones to be running hot and problematic.

It has to be said , the launch of the Microsoft surface was a lot better executed and advertised than what is currently being done with the Lumia 920.

If problems persist with limited stock and problems with the phones themselves , it wont be good for Microsoft or Nokia. This might turn into a salvage operation.

Sorry to say this but if Nokia and Microsoft want to compete they need to step it up because I am sure Apple and others are having a hearty laugh.

:dry

adebo

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I am glad they are not advertising heavily at this point, because if they were people would be walking into stores to simply find out that the phone is not in stock and simply purchase something else. There was clearly a breakdown on the launch of this phone, but I am happy that I got my hands on one :)

ynight

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Well if you need to, I feel surface is the best thing I've had for a long time and the 920 be the second if the heating problem I get is out of the comparison here.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you turned on the TV lately? I've seen three Windows Phone commercials already (one of them being the AT&T promotion with Will Arnett).

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
^ yes, but they are not 920 commercials.. they are general Windows Phone ads. I guess I misunderstood the OP.. I thought we are talking strictly about the 920.

I was comparing the launch not the product ;)

Right on.. What I meant is that you can't expect the same kind of marketing push from Microsoft since the 920 is not their own product.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why is walking in and discovering it's sold out a bad thing? People walk in for sold out iPhones and Galaxy phones all the time. They go elsewhere that has them or they order it for the next batch in... in fact, being sold out is often more of an incentive... "it's a hot item, I want one too!!"

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
^ yes, but they are not 920 commercials.. they are general Windows Phone ads. I guess I misunderstood the OP.. I thought we are talking strictly about the 920.

Right on.. What I meant is that you can't expect the same kind of marketing push from Microsoft since the 920 is not their own product.

Agreed, then again I guess since AT&T are the ones selling the phones they are the ones who are supposed to do the advertising? Am I correct?

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Why is walking in and discovering it's sold out a bad thing? People walk in for sold out iPhones and Galaxy phones all the time. They go elsewhere that has them or they order it for the next batch in... in fact, being sold out is often more of an incentive... "it's a hot item, I want one too!!"

True in a way, but how many times have you seen someone buy the car they didn't really want because they didn't have the one they wanted? People are impatient and any new thing scratches the itch, not necessarily the thing they really want.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Agreed, then again I guess since AT&T are the ones selling the phones they are the ones who are supposed to do the advertising? Am I correct?
I *THINK* that's why Nokia was happy with their AT&T exclusive (and their other global exclusives), because AT&T (and all the exclusive carriers) will advertise the Lumia 920 and Nokia can focus their money on other things.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
True in a way, but how many times have you seen someone buy the car they didn't really want because they didn't have the one they wanted? People are impatient and any new thing scratches the itch, not necessarily the thing they really want.

Those people are idiots. There it is, I said it. They are impulse shoppers, and they're just buying to buy. It's pointless to care what they like, because they generally don't like anything.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes.. one would assume that AT&T wants to sell their phones. I am still not clear where the incentive to push WP harder than andro or iOS comes from, from AT&T perspective that is..

Are they making more money per phone from the WP devices.. are they trying to create some competition to andro and iOS so that would results in better profit margins for them in the long term ?

If they are playing the game, there must be something in it for them. Obviously they are going to get the majority of the WP sales thanks to the 920.. so potentially that would drive some extra business on top of iOS/Andro, but considering the sales numbers from the 900 launch, I don't expect WP to be a priority anytime soon.

Overall, I agree with you, the launch was... messy, but I wasn't really expecting anything amazing to begin with. Microsoft and Nokia each have a very good reason to lead a solid marketing campaign, but I am not so sure about AT&T.

Microsoft will push their platform, but they will never push a specific product made by one of their OEMs, or rather.. give it "preferential treatment"

channing0214

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It was definetely not done well. After a few months of researching phones and deciding which was going to be the best for me I was sold on the Lumia 920. I am still currently with Verizon and had an upgrade, but decided to switch to AT&T so I could get the Lumia 920. I was so excited when I found out about pre-orders for the phone I could hardly wait!

I went to the store on 11/7 to Pre-order Yellow Lumia 920, and the associate ordered it for me and I also mentioned to her the free charging pad and she said I would receive that as well. She then said it should ship within a few days and I was so excited that I would finally have a new phone after 4 years (Issues with Verizon and my previous upgrade led to me using the same phone I started with before my last upgrade..that is a whole other story in itself). Now the excitement is fading, and so far the treatment I have from AT&T is not impressive. We all know how the launch has gone and it is really sad. Poor communication, lack of knowlege about anything going on with this launch, and keeping your paying customers left to wonder...When will I get my phone? Not good.

I feel like Nokia and Windows Phones deserved better than this.

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
AT&T needs to push both WP8 and W8 because unlike iOS and Android, there isn't a large market. The interest needs to be generated to drive up sales.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
And those folks who are lucky enough to have gotten their phones from AT&T and from their pre order are reporting enough problems to keep this forum extra busy and forum members on their toes waiting and watching the forums every day only to see new problems pop up about the 920.

If problems persist with limited stock and problems with the phones themselves , it wont be good for Microsoft or Nokia. This might turn into a salvage operation.

Sorry to say this but if Nokia and Microsoft want to compete they need to step it up because I am sure Apple and others are having a hearty laugh.

*sigh*

Yet another, I'll say it again so everyone can hear: another thread on how bad the launch was, and how MS sucks and how Nokia better get their act together and how AT&T [insert insult here]...

A "salvage operation", really dude? And Apple and the others are having a "hearty laugh"? Who are the others? And like other phones that are released aren't plagued with issues (Apple Maps anyone?)?

For every problem reported here, there are at least 10 or more threads reporting the same problem, so it's not as bad as you think. And keep in mind, people like yourself only come to the forum to complain. Why? What good does it do? If you would have received your phone on Friday like I did, would you have come here and posted how great MS/Nokia/AT&T are? Doubt it.

So scan the forums a little closer. See the people who preordered and received their phone on release day. I ordered my Thursday morning, selected overnight shipping and got it on Friday. Can't beat that. Other members are reporting that they have received their wireless charger already. Other members are saying they called and got the charger in the color of their choice.

I can't wait until you receive your phone so you can start a thread about how bad it is...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb