Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gtg465x

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    So, I was lucky enough to have an upgrade available for the last year. I held on to it until the right phone came along. Well the iPhone 5 came and I almost pulled the trigger. But after upgrading my i4s to ios6 I found no reason to use it. Then I got a Galaxy Note on CL and while its a head turner its pretty darn big. I heard about the Lumia 920 and decided to use my upgrade. I found my white 920 locally and got it for $100.

I've only had it since Sunday and I'm considering taking it back and using my Note. Why? Well I don't know really. Part of me wants to hold on to the upgrade just in case something new comes out. Another part of me doesn't see me having the 920 for 2 years! I'm sure a 930 will be out by the end if next year. The 920 is good looking and fun with the live tiles. I haven't received my charging plate yet. Keep or return?

Use it as your daily driver for a week. If you're still not happy, return it. You have to like the phone you're using your upgrade on (or prepare to pay for off-contract phones)

Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    Sounds like you're a chronic buyer. Everyone has a different impulse buy, for some it's tech, other people buy cars every year. Just accept that you love new phones, new gadgets, etc.
    There's ALWAYS another something new and special around the corner. Make a decision and stick with it! But if you're always an impulse buyer like that, you'll never be happy with what you have.

Buy your phones based on what you have and like TODAY not what MIGHT be there tomorrow.

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    Keep it. If you always wait for the next big thing you will be waiting a long time.

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts
    as for getting the 920 if you wait for the 930 then the next version will be around the corner and the cycle will continue. so if you really dont see yourself with the 920 for 2 yrs them wait for the next wave or you can wait and snag one on craigslist for a decent price.

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    My cyan 920 was unresponsive this morning. I had to soft reset to wake it up. Decided to get a new one, just in case, but they only had black in stock at the store. Sucks, but I didn't want to wait. No return for me; just an exchange.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    I wouldn't say I'm a chronic buyer per se. I do like technology. I was just saving my upgrade for the right moment. Honestly it was supposed to be for the i5 or blackberry 10. But after having played with a friends Lumia 900 I liked the tiles. I should just give it a week. No haste.

I'm in the same boat. I am 90% sure that I will return it, and go from ATT to straight talk, on my iPhone 4s for awhile, and in a month or two, maybe the contract-free price will come down and I will go with it (along with some more apps as well). I do like the camera and the wireless charging.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Oh soooo tempting. I like my Stormtrooper white though. All my phones are white. I'm gonna give it the weekend.

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    This developer is returning his. I am losing faith in Microsoft and Nokia.

Microsoft,

Where are the apps? I left Windows Phone for 6 months and seemingly no progress was made. Why are you limiting the size of podcasts I can download when not on WiFi? Warn me or make it an option, but let me use my damn unlimited LTE how I please. Why do apps still take so much time to resume on this hardware? Why do browser tabs show up separately in the task switcher? It's already limited to 8 so if I have 6 tabs open I get a whopping 3 app maximum. Why can't we close apps from the task switcher? Why do open apps reload when I click their tile from the home screen? Why are tab previews in the browser so low res? Why is there no option to open new tabs in the background? Why is there no option to select all text? Why does the Calendar app show fake text in the month view? We can read that now with these high res screens. Why is there no option to leave WiFi on when the screen turns off? Why do you not want me to be able to see the time and connection status while using the phone? WHY?

Nokia,

Why can't you ever get a Windows Phone camera right? Why is the screens color temperature so warm? Why does this screen exhibit so much color shift, even straight on from top to bottom on white pages? Whose idea was it to put this terrible shimmery coating over the screen, whatever the **** it may be? Why did you remove the standard Windows Phone Maps app? At least make sure yours is better in every way if you're going to pull that crap!

Get your damn acts together Microsoft and Nokia. It doesn't take a genius to recognize the issues I pointed out. No wonder developers don't want to develop apps for you. Your tools are top notch but we have to actually want to use the phones and OS before we want to develop for it.

To be clear, it's a great phone and OS still, but it could be sooo much better! Just let me rant and be mad for a while. I wanted to fall in love with this phone like I did for a while with the 800, but so far there are just too many annoyances and the competition has some really stellar offerings with less issues.
    Last edited by gtg465x; 11-14-2012 at 02:50 AM.
    Thanked by:
    benzie, ryude and eallan like this.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    Use it as your daily driver for a week. If you're still not happy, return it. You have to like the phone you're using your upgrade on (or prepare to pay for off-contract phones)
    That's sound advice. I also had my doubts when I first got it. Played with it over the weekend and thought: no way am I going to keep it. Now, after I used it for a week at work, I'm very happy with it.

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Yeah, I'm on the fence, mainly because of the Nexus 4. I'm on the road a lot for work and reallly like the voice texting built in. I've owned a 4S and a Samsung GS2 LTE and neither of those can touch the ease of voice texting on a Bluetooth with the Lumia 920/WP8. The 920 is missing apps I'd like (especially the Chrome browser) but I carry a Nexus 7 around everywhere that helps my app addiction. Oh and battery life has been great for me on the 920, I'm so used to carrying extra batteries and love not worrying anymore.

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    I think I got so spoiled by the simplicity of my i4s and then spoiled even further by the screen of my Note. I'm trying to keep toying around on my 920. Its frustrating trying to type on the keyboard.

I too am considering a return of my 920, its kindof sad really, I was so excited for it but have been quite dissapointed
    Same here. Was really excited for this phone but the camera is a deal breaker for me. The lack of detail in pictures is ridiculous. The sad part is, at least in my experience the image on the screen right before/after shutter press is sharp enough its like the phone softens everything in post. Not that most cellphones (if any) have a RAW option but i suspect the 920 would benefit from one, or at the very least give users an option to turn off noise reduction. The dearth of apps is also kind of sad. maybe my expectations were too high going in, i don't know...

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Hmmm. I'm still flip floppy on mine. On one hand its new and refreshing. On the other it may be too new for me to stay with. I don't know! Trying to give it a solid week of testing.

I purchased my 920 on release day and enjoyed it through the weekend but found myself not justifiying the upgrade while I have a 900. Yes, there are some improvements and a few more apps but since I already have windows 8 PC and the lumia 900 I feel that with the 7.8 update i won't be missing much. Besides I heard a Microsoft win 8 device is in the works, if I didnt have the 900 I would've kept the 920, went w iphone5 32gb.

I haven't had any of the major issues some others have had but I was still contemplating a return and getting the 8X just due to it fitting my hands much better and just being s better overall form factor. The matte black 920 is also very slippery which I do not like.

Operating system wise I haven't had too many issues. Obviously the lack of apps wad to be expected and the hope is WP8 would really grow the ecosystem. I think it will just due to the amount of people I've seen with the 920 and 8X.

I also don't know why IE uses up an app slot for each tab it doesn't make much sense.

My guess is a fix will come out for the camera shortly considering how highly touted it was.

I went from iPhone 3, to iPhone 4, to the Android Inspire 4G. I held onto the Inspire after I saw the announcements for the Lumia. I'm sick of wasting my time messing with apps that I immediately delete. In reality I use about 5 apps/day. The rest are once in a blue moon. I decided to make the move to the Lumia 920. Sure, it's new, and exciting. I LOVE change. However, I love the simplicity too.

I am VERY pleased with the way that Windows Phone is presented. It is simple, and focused. It's a phone...with POWER. iOS and Android feel app centric, and the phone aspect is pinned on. I have enough going on in my life and I feel like Windows Phone will enhance reality, rather than withdraw me from it.

my 2 cents...

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleewok View Post
    I went from iPhone 3, to iPhone 4, to the Android Inspire 4G. I held onto the Inspire after I saw the announcements for the Lumia. I'm sick of wasting my time messing with apps that I immediately delete. In reality I use about 5 apps/day. The rest are once in a blue moon. I decided to make the move to the Lumia 920. Sure, it's new, and exciting. I LOVE change. However, I love the simplicity too.

I am VERY pleased with the way that Windows Phone is presented. It is simple, and focused. It's a phone...with POWER. iOS and Android feel app centric, and the phone aspect is pinned on. I have enough going on in my life and I feel like Windows Phone will enhance reality, rather than withdraw me from it.

my 2 cents...

Very interesting. I honestly only use Facebook, instagram and YouTube daily. Everything else I, like you, only use once in a blue moon. I am pretty deep into the apple ecosystem. I own a 4s, ipad2, old MacBook and itv. Only android I have is the Note. I am pretty fond of the Surface tablet. I like the live tiles on it as i do on my 920.