Thinking about converting from Iphone, but have a few questions

curious225

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
These may seem silly but Ive never had or held a windows phone so help me out:

1) Since the main screen has all the live updates, does this increase the amount of data used?

2) Since the main screen has all the live updates, do you not get a pop up notifications? In other words if you are reading something in a web browser or email or watching a video, would I still get a sports score pop up alert or would I have to just go to the main tile screen every time I wanted a score update? (same question for text messages).

3) In the Iphone I have 5-6 email accounts that are pushed to my phone. Is it the same for the Nokia windows phone?

4) The most used app I own is the Yahoo Sportacular app. Is this available in the windows store?

5) Can you convert a webpage to a bookmark on the main screen/ tiles, or would I have to go to IE and open a bookmark? and if I can make a personal tile, can I add any image I wanted? (in other words are the tiles customizable other than changing colors and sizes?)

again, sorry if you think these are silly but I havent been able to get my hands on a windows phone but am curious about making the switch.

thanks

jaqueh

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
the media player sucks in comparison to the iPhone. so much so that i'm considering returning to ios6 with the iphone 5. it really is that dissapointing. It's clunky and missing a lot of basic features such as search or tracking

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The podcast function needs an update as well. That was one of the things that's always bugged me.

Awesome OS, just need a few more refinements.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
1) Since the main screen has all the live updates, does this increase the amount of data used?

--Yes and no. The live tiles do draw more power because they update themselves, but its normal to have several of them without too much battery usage difference, imho.

2) Since the main screen has all the live updates, do you not get a pop up notifications? In other words if you are reading something in a web browser or email or watching a video, would I still get a sports score pop up alert or would I have to just go to the main tile screen every time I wanted a score update? (same question for text messages).

--You still get the pop up notifications for txt messages, regardless of which app you are in. For other apps, it depends on whether the app supports 'toast' notifications or not. Quite a few of them do.

3) In the Iphone I have 5-6 email accounts that are pushed to my phone. Is it the same for the Nokia windows phone?

--Yep, that's totally possible with Windows Phone 8.

4) The most used app I own is the Yahoo Sportacular app. Is this available in the windows store?

--Honestly I'm not sure.

5) Can you convert a webpage to a bookmark on the main screen/ tiles, or would I have to go to IE and open a bookmark? and if I can make a personal tile, can I add any image I wanted? (in other words are the tiles customizable other than changing colors and sizes?)

--Yes, you can have a website bookmark as a tile on your him screen. I do that for the local weather radar from my local news website. :) I don't know of a way to fully customiz a tile image though, might be an app for that.

All typed up on my Lumia 920.

glimited

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
These may seem silly but Ive never had or held a windows phone so help me out:

again, sorry if you think these are silly but I havent been able to get my hands on a windows phone but am curious about making the switch.

thanks

1. It may effect data usage a small bit. Certain apps will have a setting for the live tiles that let you determine how often you want the tile refreshed.

2. You still get notifications, depending on app. But texts show a toast. I don't recall if email does the same.

3. You can add multiple accounts and have it all linked to the main outlook box - or have it separate.

4. I used and loved that app on my iPhone. Unfortunately its not on the store and I haven't found a replacement yet.

5. You can pin any webpage to the home screen. You can't change colors from what I've seen. It just shows the current view of the page at the time you pin it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos