Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 132
Like Tree37Likes
  1. hellboarder's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    22 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gken View Post
    yeah Nokia provides the data for Bing maps, but still I miss the local traffic quick view. Wtf I would have thought that would be effotless to integrate.
    I posted a quick tip on how to get that back (sort of) on page 1 of this thread, that will give you the full traffic back until Nokia fixes their app.
  2. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    It's not, he posted the same thing in another thread. The "normal" maps he's referring to is the old Bing maps, and he just doesn't realize it's basically Nokia maps on WP8.
    Do you have a Nokia WP8 device? Because I do, the Lumia 920, and you are totally wrong. Nokia Maps is the only mapping app that is available from the App List in WP8, but as the others have said, if you go into the People hub and tap the address of one of your contacts, a DIFFERENT mapping application will open, one that looks EXACTLY like Bing Maps from WP7/7.5.

    There are two different mapping applications on the Nokia 920. And I agree with the others: Nokia Maps doesn't hold a candle to the hidden Bing Maps.
  3. Landsharkk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    #28  
    1) Touch your search button on the bottom right of your phone
    2) Search for any location, business, etc using they keyboard or your voice.
    2b) If you need to find a specific address, just open the nokia drive app and use 'set destination'.
    2c) If you want to use a contact address, open the contact, hold on the address and choose 'copy'. Open Nokia Drive, use "set destination" and paste the address into the search box.

    3) Once you have selected your destination, the 'about' page will open. Touch the 'Drive' option on that screen.
    4) Nokia Drive automatically opens up, finds your location and maps your route, immediately starting the navigation process via voice directions.

    It's so extremely easy to use and YES it is integrated into your search button on the bottom right of your phone.

    Nokia Drive even tells you when you are exceeding the speed limit for the road you are on (you can adjust this setting in nokia drive settings).
    Last edited by Landsharkk; 11-15-2012 at 12:40 PM.
  4. MaulerX's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    224 Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    I don't...I was just pointing out that his method wouldn't work in WP8. It is better now obviously.


    Gotcha!
  5. #30  
    I think there seems to be some confusion, and dare I say anger, between posters here.

    Everything I am reading shows that Nokia Maps has replaced bing maps in Windows Phone 8, in terms of the app. Feel free to point the blame at Nokia for creating an app not up to snuff with what you prefer, but it doesn't seem it was Nokia who removed Bing Maps from the OS (in fact, it is my understanding that no company can remove anything from Windows Phone 8, they can only add to it).

    Bing Maps is still supposedly baked in there, but only for development purposes for those who may want to use it for their apps. Apparently there are still some hooks from within Windows Phone that will load this old Bing Maps for the user.

    As I said, take it for what you will. Just hoping to give some clarity on the situation.
    PhilR8 and tissotti like this.
  6. eortizr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    #31  
    In my 920 it always open Nokia maps. And the it opens Nokia drive for directions

    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
  7. ALpHa.Q.RoUgH's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    346 Posts
    Global Posts
    668 Global Posts
    #32  
    I hate how when I get a address it opens up the old bing maps and not the nokia maps. Essentially if I lock my phone or do something else its hard to revert back to it because I can't just look it up on my app list and open it up.
  8. haikus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #33  
    Hi everyone, this is Pino from the HERE team and I would like to address some of the questions about Nokia Maps in this thread.

    We are aware that People Hub, Bing, Email and other apps on Windows Phone 8 do not open Nokia Maps and we are working together with Microsoft to provide a better user experience.
    Right now the workaround is to open Windows Phone Maps (the engine of which is still provided by us) and launch Nokia Drive from there. Unfortunately Windows Phone Maps does not support walk navigation, which is why you don't find the option to open Nokia Maps from there.
    You are luckier when you are searching for places with Bing because you can pan to the apps tab and select Nokia Maps (or even Nokia Transport) from there.

    We are in the meantime also working in polishing or further improve some feature of Nokia Maps like traffic information, search and places listing.

    You can also watch here a video that summarizes all the features of Nokia Maps with some good reasons why you should use it:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiyYbrI8j8[/YT]
  9. haikus's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    10 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    The confusing thing for me is why they didn't just make it one app. Kind of silly to have a map app and a whole other routing/gps app.
    Hi this is Pino from the HERE team, we have explained why we are not building one app for everything on our blog: A day in London with Nokia location-based apps – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
    Thanked by:
  10. krague17's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #35  
    I too don't find Nokia Drive that great. It's missing a lot of functions. One is alternate routes. Android had this and so does Navigon for Windows Phone. You also can't see a Map overview of your route. The only way I know which way it has mapped is by zooming out. The other thing I don't like is that you can't see live information like accidents or traffic like I could on the Waze app for Android.

    It's a great start but needs a lot more functionality to be one of the best. I'm just glad I bought the Navigon app back when they had 50% off.
  11. woohoo7676's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3 Posts
    #36  
    I realized today that the usual Bing maps app was gone and replaced with Nokia maps, and found this thread.

    After trying out Nokia Maps for awhile, I definitely prefer Bing maps over it. Most of my issues have to do with the UI. Here are a few points that I think could be improved:

    1. The swipe up UI for search results and list of directions is not intuitive and doesn't fit in with the rest of the WP style.

    2. The directions UI doesn't allow you to see both the map and the directions list at the same time. Also tapping on specific directions doesn't show you where that place is on the map.

    3. Having to swipe up the list of directions/search results completely to see the app bar is cumbersome. Please have the app bar always be visible to allow easy access to functions. For example, in order to search for another location while viewing directions, I have to swipe the directions panel all the way to the top, expand the app bar, and then tap search. Ideally, I should be able to just tap a search icon in the visible app bar.

    4. Nokia and Bing maps may be powered by Nokia's data, but for some reason the results are not the same. I did the exact same search for a yogurt place near to where I live in Virginia. Nokia maps moved me over to a street called Yogurt Ln. in Maryland, while Bing maps found the place I was looking for.

    Pino, I hope you can incorporate some of this feedback, and also at least give us the choice to have Bing Maps available while Nokia Maps is smoothing out some of the rough spots.

    Thanks!
  12. jaqueh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    99 Posts
    #37  
    I've noticed that Nokia maps is far better for European cities than American ones.
  13. tissotti's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,106 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,107 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaqueh View Post
    I've noticed that Nokia maps is far better for European cities than American ones.
    I was just coming at this. I could not stand the default maps on LG Optimus 7 and sold it after week because of the search results made no sense and map was simply not complete. Could not believe they even released something as "complete".

    Then came back after Nokia brought Nokia Maps with Lumia 800 and never touched MS maps after that, Nokia Maps is by far the best here in Scandinavia and used it over in central Europe (mainly Germany) with no problems.
  14. crav4speed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    #39  
    After checking traffic conditions in the Nokia maps app and thinking how horrible it was, I immediately went to open the native Bing maps and to my surprise couldn't find it! My workaround was to open search, hit local scout, tap on the map, and then show traffic. I now have local scout pinned to my start screen.
    Windows - Surface RT

    Windows Phone - Dell Venue Pro | Nokia Lumia 920 | Nokia Lumia 1520

    Windows Mobile - i-mate SP5 | HTC 8525 | HTC Touch HD

  15. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by tissotti View Post
    I was just coming at this. I could not stand the default maps on LG Optimus 7 and sold it after week because of the search results made no sense and map was simply not complete. Could not believe they even released something as "complete".

    Then came back after Nokia brought Nokia Maps with Lumia 800 and never touched MS maps after that, Nokia Maps is by far the best here in Scandinavia and used it over in central Europe (mainly Germany) with no problems.
    That's great for you and makes sense since Nokia is a European country. Unfortunately, it's not the case for me here in Los Angeles. By the way, does Nokia Maps show you local traffic where you are?
  16. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by eortizr View Post
    In my 920 it always open Nokia maps. And the it opens Nokia drive for directions

    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    I think you are wrong. Read the reply from the Nokia Here team member in this thread.
  17. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Landsharkk View Post
    1) Touch your search button on the bottom right of your phone
    2) Search for any location, business, etc using they keyboard or your voice.
    2b) If you need to find a specific address, just open the nokia drive app and use 'set destination'.
    2c) If you want to use a contact address, open the contact, hold on the address and choose 'copy'. Open Nokia Drive, use "set destination" and paste the address into the search box.

    3) Once you have selected your destination, the 'about' page will open. Touch the 'Drive' option on that screen.
    4) Nokia Drive automatically opens up, finds your location and maps your route, immediately starting the navigation process via voice directions.

    It's so extremely easy to use and YES it is integrated into your search button on the bottom right of your phone.

    Nokia Drive even tells you when you are exceeding the speed limit for the road you are on (you can adjust this setting in nokia drive settings).
    We're talking about Nokia maps, not Nokia Drive. I'd like to use the maps for things other than turn by turn GPS.
    You're blindly defending Nokia for no good reason. Look at the reply in this thread from the Nokia Here team member. He acknowledges the lack of integration.
  18. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by haikus View Post
    Hi everyone, this is Pino from the HERE team and I would like to address some of the questions about Nokia Maps in this thread.

    We are aware that People Hub, Bing, Email and other apps on Windows Phone 8 do not open Nokia Maps and we are working together with Microsoft to provide a better user experience.
    Right now the workaround is to open Windows Phone Maps (the engine of which is still provided by us) and launch Nokia Drive from there. Unfortunately Windows Phone Maps does not support walk navigation, which is why you don't find the option to open Nokia Maps from there.
    You are luckier when you are searching for places with Bing because you can pan to the apps tab and select Nokia Maps (or even Nokia Transport) from there.

    We are in the meantime also working in polishing or further improve some feature of Nokia Maps like traffic information, search and places listing.

    You can also watch here a video that summarizes all the features of Nokia Maps with some good reasons why you should use it:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiyYbrI8j8[/YT]
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post and acknowledge some of the problems with Nokia Maps. Is there any way to put Windows Phone Maps back in the apps list? Why purposely handicap an app that at least some of your users would rather use?
  19. luckyhillkop's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by haikus View Post
    Hi everyone, this is Pino from the HERE team and I would like to address some of the questions about Nokia Maps in this thread.

    We are aware that People Hub, Bing, Email and other apps on Windows Phone 8 do not open Nokia Maps and we are working together with Microsoft to provide a better user experience.
    Right now the workaround is to open Windows Phone Maps (the engine of which is still provided by us) and launch Nokia Drive from there. Unfortunately Windows Phone Maps does not support walk navigation, which is why you don't find the option to open Nokia Maps from there.
    You are luckier when you are searching for places with Bing because you can pan to the apps tab and select Nokia Maps (or even Nokia Transport) from there.

    We are in the meantime also working in polishing or further improve some feature of Nokia Maps like traffic information, search and places listing.

    You can also watch here a video that summarizes all the features of Nokia Maps with some good reasons why you should use it:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiyYbrI8j8[/YT]
    Hi, thanks for taking the time to explain.

    I'm a Nokia maps/drive user from a different platform which is Symbian. I don't know how they work in WP8 but in Symbian version, the search function is terrible. Most of the times it will fail to locate the place I'm searching; I ended up having to painstakingly search manually by referring to Google map and then look that place up in Nokia map. I don't understand why the search function fail to locate something that is already in the map. Hopefully in WP8 the search function is much better. If it's hit and miss like the Symbian version, hope Nokia could improve this soon.

    Other than that, I think Nokia maps/drive are great.
  20. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    263 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by muhan View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post and acknowledge some of the problems with Nokia Maps. Is there any way to put Windows Phone Maps back in the apps list? Why purposely handicap an app that at least some of your users would rather use?
    On my 920, I just use Bing Search for everything. So if I search for "pizza" with the goal of finding local pizza places, I'll just open Bing, type "Pizza", and then go to the Local results which will be displayed using Bing Maps and not Nokia Maps.
  21. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo7676 View Post
    I realized today that the usual Bing maps app was gone and replaced with Nokia maps, and found this thread.

    After trying out Nokia Maps for awhile, I definitely prefer Bing maps over it. Most of my issues have to do with the UI. Here are a few points that I think could be improved:

    1. The swipe up UI for search results and list of directions is not intuitive and doesn't fit in with the rest of the WP style.

    2. The directions UI doesn't allow you to see both the map and the directions list at the same time. Also tapping on specific directions doesn't show you where that place is on the map.

    3. Having to swipe up the list of directions/search results completely to see the app bar is cumbersome. Please have the app bar always be visible to allow easy access to functions. For example, in order to search for another location while viewing directions, I have to swipe the directions panel all the way to the top, expand the app bar, and then tap search. Ideally, I should be able to just tap a search icon in the visible app bar.

    4. Nokia and Bing maps may be powered by Nokia's data, but for some reason the results are not the same. I did the exact same search for a yogurt place near to where I live in Virginia. Nokia maps moved me over to a street called Yogurt Ln. in Maryland, while Bing maps found the place I was looking for.

    Pino, I hope you can incorporate some of this feedback, and also at least give us the choice to have Bing Maps available while Nokia Maps is smoothing out some of the rough spots.

    Thanks!
    Very good post. Although I'm more concerned with usability issues of Nokia Maps, I agree with every point you made regarding the badly designed UI. Nokia got out of the software business for a reason, they're not good at it. It's strange that they keep trying to do it.
  22. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by muhan View Post
    Very good post. Although I'm more concerned with usability issues of Nokia Maps, I agree with every point you made regarding the badly designed UI. Nokia got out of the software business for a reason, they're not good at it. It's strange that they keep trying to do it.
    Well there's an absurd statement...
    aubreyq likes this.
  23. LCARS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #48  
    I'd just like to also throw in my opinion, in the hope that it will reach someone at Nokia who will use this feedback to improve Nokia Maps. For reference, I have AT&T and live on the east coast of the US.

    On my Lumia 900, I had downloaded Nokia Maps to use it since it was supposedly better. However, I quickly uninstalled it because I found it to be pretty bad compared to the default Maps app. The odd thing is that I love all of their other apps. Nokia Drive is excellent, City Lens is amazing, Trailers is very useful, etc. In fact, Nokia Maps is the only Nokia app that I don't love.

    After I got my 920, I was very disappointed when I found out that the default Maps entry in the app list had been removed. I uninstalled the Nokia Maps app on my 920 and have Local Scout pinned to my start screen. Thank God I can use that workaround to get to the default maps app. To be fair, I did spend some time using Nokia Maps on my 920, just in case they improved it. Unfortunately, it is just as bad. If they completely replace the built in maps in the next Lumia, and they haven't improved Nokia Maps dramatically, I'm afraid it will be a deal breaker for me. This goes double for Local Scout. To be clear, this post is not a rant. I have had two 900s and a 920 and these devices are fantastic. All of Nokia's apps, besides Maps, are fantastic.

    My issues with Nokia Maps can be divided into two categories: the data and the user experience. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues to cover and I apologize for such a long post. Many of these issues relate to lack of polish that cause the app to feel glitchy and stiff. The app does not feel "fast and fluid", causing the user to loose confidence. It also uses an unconventional layout in a few places, causing it to feel foreign to the Windows Phone experience.

    Data
    • I realize that Nokia's mapping technology powers both apps, but somehow, the Bing maps app provides better results. I don't understand how that can be the case, but I have compared them head to head and the Bing maps app finds stuff that the Nokia one doesn't. Maybe they are using the same raw map data but the searching algorithm is different? In any case, I don't feel confident using the Nokia maps app. I always fear that I am missing something. Zoom in on the same place using both apps and try a simple search, such as "Haircut" or "Pizza". The results are different, and nearly always better with the default maps app. During this test, I am taking great pains to make sure that they are both zoomed in exactly the same on both.
    • The info cards for various locations are lacking. I can open up the info card for the same location in both apps, and the default maps app will usually show more information. This is probably because Bing is pulling in information from more sources. The Nokia Maps info cards always looks barren compared to the default maps.


    User Experience
    • My issues with the user experience start right from the beginning. When you open the default maps app, it opens instantly with no delay. When you open the Nokia Maps app, it shows a splash screen and you have to wait several seconds for it to load. As a developer, I understand the technical reasons why this is. However, as a user, I see mapping as a core function of my phone. It shouldn't feel like an app that is tacked on.
    • The way that the two apps show traffic is different. The default maps app shows traffic on all major roads when you are zoomed out. On the Nokia Maps app, it only shows you part of the traffic when zoomed out. You have to zoom in on a specific area before the traffic shows up in that area. However, once you do that and zoom back out, it will show traffic for that area while zoomed out. This is very odd, and I'm unsure if it is a bug or by design. Either way, it's confusing and I much prefer the way the default maps app shows traffic. It just handles things smoother. It also has the effect of causing me to second guess whether or not the traffic information is accurate. I find myself zooming in all over the place to make sure it has updated everything. This is another example of me not feeling confident.
    • Favorite/Recent places. On the default maps app, when you open the favorite/recent places, it behaves like every other app. The map flips away, and the favorite/recent places flip in full screen. Having this displayed full screen makes sense because there is limited space on a phone. In the Nokia Maps app, the favorites/recent screen does this jerky animation and slides up from the bottom. The map is still visible at the top of the screen, giving an odd cramped effect. This feels foreign on Windows Phone because no other app behaves this way. It is unexpected, disrupts the user experience, and confuses the user. It also takes up valuable real estate by showing a useless 1/5th of a map at the top of the screen.
    • There's no way to search with your voice.
    • When you tap on the search icon, the search box animates in at the top of the screen. This animation is jerky.
    • When you tap on the "map options" button at the bottom right of the map, the "map options" screen opens. There is no animation, so the "map options" screen just instantly appears. This makes the change feel sudden and harsh compared to the rest of the apps. The "map options" screen should use the flip animation. When the user presses the back button, it should use the reverse flip animation to bring you back to the map.
    • When you tap on the "map options" button, the map jerks right before the "map options" screen opens. Sometimes the entire map glitches up and then back down. Sometimes the "my location" dot changes positions. Add this to the lack of a flip animation, and the whole transition to the "map options" screen feels buggy.
    • The same glitchy screen transitions occur for the following screens: Settings, tapping on a location to open it's info card, About, Sign In, and Download Maps. I might be missing one or two, but basically every screen. The point is, this app does not fluidly transition between screens. It glitches around, resulting in a loss of confidence.
    • On the About screen(s), the font for the menu items is too large. It looks out of place.
    • Nokia Maps has a "places feature" that is useless compared to Local Scout. It lacks way too many features for me to even compare the two. What I will say is that Nokia should not try to replace Local Scout. Seeing Local Scout-like functionality in Nokia Maps scares me into thinking they may attempt this one day. That would be a deal breaker unless they come up with something that matches Local Scout in terms of features and user experience.
    • The sharing options are limited in Nokia Maps. Many options such as Facebook or Tap to Send are missing.
    Thanked by:
    bradleyj, muhan and Tetegra like this.
  24. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by DungMasterFang View Post
    Well there's an absurd statement...
    Ok, I'll respond to your post even though it was completely void of any thoughtful comment or any arguments to back up your statement.

    Have you read Elop's burning platform memo?

    They dumped their old OS Symbian because it was no longer viable in the market, and they dumped the OS they were developing, Meego, because it was a day late and a dollar short.

    The main reason they started looking to use someone else's OS and decided on Windows Phone was because they realized they aren't good at developing quality Phone OS's in a timely manner.
  25. muhan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    38 Posts
       #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCARS View Post
    I'd just like to also throw in my opinion, in the hope that it will reach someone at Nokia who will use this feedback to improve Nokia Maps. For reference, I have AT&T and live on the east coast of the US.

    On my Lumia 900, I had downloaded Nokia Maps to use it since it was supposedly better. However, I quickly uninstalled it because I found it to be pretty bad compared to the default Maps app. The odd thing is that I love all of their other apps. Nokia Drive is excellent, City Lens is amazing, Trailers is very useful, etc. In fact, Nokia Maps is the only Nokia app that I don't love.

    After I got my 920, I was very disappointed when I found out that the default Maps entry in the app list had been removed. I uninstalled the Nokia Maps app on my 920 and have Local Scout pinned to my start screen. Thank God I can use that workaround to get to the default maps app. To be fair, I did spend some time using Nokia Maps on my 920, just in case they improved it. Unfortunately, it is just as bad. If they completely replace the built in maps in the next Lumia, and they haven't improved Nokia Maps dramatically, I'm afraid it will be a deal breaker for me. This goes double for Local Scout. To be clear, this post is not a rant. I have had two 900s and a 920 and these devices are fantastic. All of Nokia's apps, besides Maps, are fantastic.

    My issues with Nokia Maps can be divided into two categories: the data and the user experience. Unfortunately, there are a lot of issues to cover and I apologize for such a long post. Many of these issues relate to lack of polish that cause the app to feel glitchy and stiff. The app does not feel "fast and fluid", causing the user to loose confidence. It also uses an unconventional layout in a few places, causing it to feel foreign to the Windows Phone experience.

    Data
    • I realize that Nokia's mapping technology powers both apps, but somehow, the Bing maps app provides better results. I don't understand how that can be the case, but I have compared them head to head and the Bing maps app finds stuff that the Nokia one doesn't. Maybe they are using the same raw map data but the searching algorithm is different? In any case, I don't feel confident using the Nokia maps app. I always fear that I am missing something. Zoom in on the same place using both apps and try a simple search, such as "Haircut" or "Pizza". The results are different, and nearly always better with the default maps app. During this test, I am taking great pains to make sure that they are both zoomed in exactly the same on both.
    • The info cards for various locations are lacking. I can open up the info card for the same location in both apps, and the default maps app will usually show more information. This is probably because Bing is pulling in information from more sources. The Nokia Maps info cards always looks barren compared to the default maps.


    User Experience
    • My issues with the user experience start right from the beginning. When you open the default maps app, it opens instantly with no delay. When you open the Nokia Maps app, it shows a splash screen and you have to wait several seconds for it to load. As a developer, I understand the technical reasons why this is. However, as a user, I see mapping as a core function of my phone. It shouldn't feel like an app that is tacked on.
    • The way that the two apps show traffic is different. The default maps app shows traffic on all major roads when you are zoomed out. On the Nokia Maps app, it only shows you part of the traffic when zoomed out. You have to zoom in on a specific area before the traffic shows up in that area. However, once you do that and zoom back out, it will show traffic for that area while zoomed out. This is very odd, and I'm unsure if it is a bug or by design. Either way, it's confusing and I much prefer the way the default maps app shows traffic. It just handles things smoother. It also has the effect of causing me to second guess whether or not the traffic information is accurate. I find myself zooming in all over the place to make sure it has updated everything. This is another example of me not feeling confident.
    • Favorite/Recent places. On the default maps app, when you open the favorite/recent places, it behaves like every other app. The map flips away, and the favorite/recent places flip in full screen. Having this displayed full screen makes sense because there is limited space on a phone. In the Nokia Maps app, the favorites/recent screen does this jerky animation and slides up from the bottom. The map is still visible at the top of the screen, giving an odd cramped effect. This feels foreign on Windows Phone because no other app behaves this way. It is unexpected, disrupts the user experience, and confuses the user. It also takes up valuable real estate by showing a useless 1/5th of a map at the top of the screen.
    • There's no way to search with your voice.
    • When you tap on the search icon, the search box animates in at the top of the screen. This animation is jerky.
    • When you tap on the "map options" button at the bottom right of the map, the "map options" screen opens. There is no animation, so the "map options" screen just instantly appears. This makes the change feel sudden and harsh compared to the rest of the apps. The "map options" screen should use the flip animation. When the user presses the back button, it should use the reverse flip animation to bring you back to the map.
    • When you tap on the "map options" button, the map jerks right before the "map options" screen opens. Sometimes the entire map glitches up and then back down. Sometimes the "my location" dot changes positions. Add this to the lack of a flip animation, and the whole transition to the "map options" screen feels buggy.
    • The same glitchy screen transitions occur for the following screens: Settings, tapping on a location to open it's info card, About, Sign In, and Download Maps. I might be missing one or two, but basically every screen. The point is, this app does not fluidly transition between screens. It glitches around, resulting in a loss of confidence.
    • On the About screen(s), the font for the menu items is too large. It looks out of place.
    • Nokia Maps has a "places feature" that is useless compared to Local Scout. It lacks way too many features for me to even compare the two. What I will say is that Nokia should not try to replace Local Scout. Seeing Local Scout-like functionality in Nokia Maps scares me into thinking they may attempt this one day. That would be a deal breaker unless they come up with something that matches Local Scout in terms of features and user experience.
    • The sharing options are limited in Nokia Maps. Many options such as Facebook or Tap to Send are missing.
    I agree completely with pretty much everything you say. I could live with the UI/usability issues, but the traffic and data issues are really killers for me. Anyone who thinks Nokia Maps is a good app really is not very sophisticated or just a Nokia apologist blindly defending them.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions