Nokia Maps is a giant step backwards

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My relevant background - I live in Los Angeles, owned an HTC HD7S for more than a year and just recently got a Lumia 920. I like everything about my new 920 except vibration noise, and this horrid Nokia Maps app which is forced on us...

Problems with Nokia Maps:

Lack of integration with the rest of the operating system.
Nokia maps is an island to itself. I click an address from a people hub contact, it opens Windows Phone Maps, not Nokia Maps. I click an address from a Bing search which has a dedicated hardware button, and it opens Windows Phone Maps, not Nokia Maps. I click an address in an email, you guessed it, it opens Windows Phone maps.

Searching in Nokia Maps has terrible results
I tried 3 searches today during the course of my day using Nokia Maps. Si Laa is a Thai restaurant I wanted to try a few miles from my house with an obviously unique name. The results I get are for Joyce Cafe, something in Germany and Slovenia. Next I try UPS in hopes it will find the company owned UPS Customer Center a quarter mile from my house. It doesn't find it at all, but does find alot of ups stores that are further away. Nokia Maps choked on another restaurant in Beverly Hills I tried to find. My wife's iPhone 4s had no problems with any of these.

Local surface street traffic info is missing
On the Lumia 920, I don't get any surface street traffic info. I do see traffic info for highways and freeways. I used to get local surface street traffic on my old HD7S Windows Map. Windows Phone Maps shows some sporadic street traffic data but is not quite right either. I called Nokia about it, the level 1 techie tells me I'm supposed to have local street traffic but has no further explanation and has escalated to level 2...

Slow Performance
Nokia maps loads much slower and is much choppier when panning the map than Windows Phone Maps. Nokia maps takes 4 seconds to load vs pretty much instant for Windows Phone maps.

Nokia removed the Windows Phone Maps.
As shown in the first point above, Windows maps is still clearly on the phone, but Nokia removed the tile for it from the app list. There doesn't seem to be a way to directly open Windows maps. This would be fine except that Nokia maps, which is supposed to be the replacement, is worse than Windows Phone maps in so many ways.

There isn't a single reason to use Nokia Maps over Windows Phone Maps.
The only reason I use it is because Nokia has seen fit to make Windows Phone Maps hard to start by removing it from the apps list.

Nokia should leave both map apps available and in the apps list. If Nokia Maps is the superior product, people will use it. Right now I'd say Windows Phone maps is superior in every way and that's a shame for Nokia who is supposed to be a mapping leader...

Last edited:

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia should leave both map apps available and in the apps list. If Nokia Maps is the superior product, people will use it. Right now I'd say Windows Phone maps is superior in every way and that's a shame for Nokia who is supposed to be a mapping leader...

Nokia provides the data for both WP/Bing maps and Nokia Maps.

FYI Joyce Cafe is Si Laa... No idea why it finds it, but haven't updated the name.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Lets not confuse the app with the actual mapping engine. It doesn't matter if you click an address from Bing search results or the People hub, you are looking at Nokia maps...not the old Bing Maps. Both Nokia Maps and the internal maps app are using Nokia's mapping engine and downloadable maps.

Grenzeloos

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I miss being able to glance at phone to see the traffic updates on the live tile. Thanks for pointing out that using Bing search for an address brings up the old map system. Voice to text is a key feature for mobile map needs. I think Nokia will integrate the voice to text and live tile traffic soon. I've been very impressed with there customer support!

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say Nokia Maps is being forced on you.

1) You can download other mapping services if you're unhappy. - Google Maps being one of them.

2) You can switch to Android or iOS

When you say forcing you make it sound like all other choices were eliminated from you. -This isn't the case.

hellboarder

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I found a fix for this which is not elegant but works a treat.

You can do this with every location but just for the fun, you go into the normal WP8 maps application (not Nokia maps) via your address book by clicking on any address within it. That will open The normal (better) maps app. Then you go to your favo(u)rite place and hold your finger on the screen to see the address. Then pin the place and that will put a tile on your Start Screen where you can start the native maps app.

Hope that helps. :)

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, the only downside is that the app doesn't fully integrate into the OS. Other than that, its by far the best mapping applicaton I've used.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I found a fix for this which is not elegant but works a treat.

You can do this with every location but just for the fun, you go into the normal WP8 maps application (not Nokia maps) via your address book by clicking on any address within it. That will open The normal (better) maps app. Then you go to your favo(u)rite place and hold your finger on the screen to see the address. Then pin the place and that will put a tile on your Start Screen where you can start the native maps app.

Hope that helps. :)

What makes the "normal WP8 maps" better?

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I miss being able to glance at phone to see the traffic updates on the live tile. Thanks for pointing out that using Bing search for an address brings up the old map system. Voice to text is a key feature for mobile map needs. I think Nokia will integrate the voice to text and live tile traffic soon. I've been very impressed with there customer support!
I'm using Intrix, and its great!

Cartman

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I kind of miss the way driving directions worked on Windows Phone Maps. Can't see any way of getting that to work as it launches Nokia Drive now.

This must be one area where Nokia was able to modify the OS.

Guess I just have to get used to the Nokia version but I know I didn't like it enough to use regularly on the 900 when it first came out.

I think it is a bit cludgy the way they have it now. If you are going to modify the default mapping software go all the way. The fact that the standard Windows Phone Maps comes up looks bad on an otherwise elegant OS.

I'm sure most consumers won't notice though.

Last edited:

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I admit I don't really get the "point" of Nokia Maps app... I find it more cumbersome to use than the WP7.5 version of Bing Maps. The ONLY thing about Bing I didn't like was tapping for steps.

BUT, Nokia Drive+ is fantastic. That's a whole other story. For example... on Sunday, I drove from Youngstown, Ohio (northeast Ohio) to Lafayette, Indiana (home of the Purdue Cat Poopers... get it?). Drive+ got me here with no issues whatsoever. In fact, it was exactly like using the Bing Maps except not requiring me to tap for the next step.

That said, I did have to download TWO voices to make Drive+ work how I like it... I downloaded the Male, English (US) voice, and the Male, English (US) with Street Pronunciations. I then enabled the "with street" voice in options. Street/exit announcements are MANDATORY for my usage. Telling me to "turn right ahead" is useless when exits/streets are close... this is a HUGE improvement over the previous versions of Drive. Also, previous versions of Drive wouldn't pause or mute music playback, so I could never hear the directions. Drive+ gets this right, thankfully!

Anyway, long story short... I find Maps useless, but Drive is awesome. So here's what I do to make life simple:

I hate typing addresses, so I do a Bing search for the name of the spot and use local scout to "find" it quick. I tap the entry, then tap for "Directions from my location." Once that loads in Nokia Maps, I tap the arrow sign to launch Drive which feeds all the information. Problems solved. (Or I could launch Drive directly, Menu, Set Destination, and fill in the location by hand. Whatever you prefer.)

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I hate typing addresses, so I do a Bing search for the name of the spot and use local scout to "find" it quick. I tap the entry, then tap for "Directions from my location." Once that loads in Nokia Maps, I tap the arrow sign to launch Drive which feeds all the information. Problems solved. (Or I could launch Drive directly, Menu, Set Destination, and fill in the location by hand. Whatever you prefer.)

Lumia 920 does it a bit differently. After doing a Bing search, the Local tab will still show all local establishments with that name. However, if you click on the establishment there is no "Directions from my location" anymore. Now there is just Address and Drive. Address launches the Windows maps app. If you click Drive it directly launches Nokia Drive+ with that place as the destination.

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
It's not, he posted the same thing in another thread. The "normal" maps he's referring to is the old Bing maps, and he just doesn't realize it's basically Nokia maps on WP8.

I understand perfectly well the difference between Windows Phone Maps which you call Bing maps and Nokia Maps. I understand that Nokia provides the "data" for both. Yet I get different search results for queries from within the 2 maps. I get local traffic info on Windows Phone Maps where on Nokia maps, I only get highway traffic. There are many other differences which I pointed out in the original post which you ignore.

Instead of being a Nokia apologist, maybe we can get Nokia to improve their Maps app?

muhan

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I admit I don't really get the "point" of Nokia Maps app... I find it more cumbersome to use than the WP7.5 version of Bing Maps. The ONLY thing about Bing I didn't like was tapping for steps.

BUT, Nokia Drive+ is fantastic. That's a whole other story. For example... on Sunday, I drove from Youngstown, Ohio (northeast Ohio) to Lafayette, Indiana (home of the Purdue Cat Poopers... get it?). Drive+ got me here with no issues whatsoever. In fact, it was exactly like using the Bing Maps except not requiring me to tap for the next step.

That said, I did have to download TWO voices to make Drive+ work how I like it... I downloaded the Male, English (US) voice, and the Male, English (US) with Street Pronunciations. I then enabled the "with street" voice in options. Street/exit announcements are MANDATORY for my usage. Telling me to "turn right ahead" is useless when exits/streets are close... this is a HUGE improvement over the previous versions of Drive. Also, previous versions of Drive wouldn't pause or mute music playback, so I could never hear the directions. Drive+ gets this right, thankfully!

Anyway, long story short... I find Maps useless, but Drive is awesome. So here's what I do to make life simple:

I agree Nokia Drive is worthwhile and have used it. It's much better than the old manual "navigation" on Windows phone 7.

Nokia Maps however needs lots of work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb