Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    my surface RT connects right away, what data plan do you have with aTT?

This isn't an issue with what contract people are on, there is an issue with Internet Sharing. It is likely to be OS related since it affects several different handsets (I have seen reports for the 8X and the 920 with personal experience on the 8X).
    There is another thread about it here and more importantly a thread on the Microsoft community forum here
    I would suggest that people who experience this issue with Windows Phone 8 vote on the topic in the Microsoft Community forum so that it is more visible to Microsoft.

Global Posts
    554 Global Posts
    Seems to be a Mac thing - after the recent updates I hoped it got fixed but the issue is still present. I can't use internet sharing at all with my MBP. It connects, works for a minute, then disconnects. Then it just keeps on disconnecting every couple of minutes.

I don't need a tethering plan here - and tethering works well with the iPhone 5.
    Last edited by zipro; 12-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Internet sharing off my Lumia 920 works with various of my devices, including right now my HP Elitebook 8560w

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    Lame, att set it so if I try, it starts to activate then checks with them and says I need to call 611 to activate (pay more) for it. I have a 3 gb plan. Pretty ****ty.

Quote Originally Posted by pderosa View Post
    I had a similar issue and found an advanced setting in Windows under the network setting that said Enable FIPS. I did that and it started working.
    I haven't been able to connect to my Windows 8 laptop at all even though I could connect my Vista & Windows 7 computers first time.

Went to properties > Advanced and turned on FIPS.

Now my Windows 8 laptop connects!!!!!! It's a Windows 8 problem and not the phone! :)

Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I have AT&T and I use Internet Sharing with my Surface almost every day for hours at a time. I have never had a problem and when I have 5 bars with LTE it is very fast, faster than most public Wi-Fi hotspots.

Works with my MacBook Pro, Windows 7 Laptop and iPad here in the states on AT&T.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'm connected right now via my iPad 2. I did have to reset my network settings though.

Saw the Title and decided to try it, I am typing this on my laptop connected to the internet from my Lumia 920 and I did a speed test and received decent download speeds.

AWESOME - that fixed it for me.

Win8 Users. Click the wifi antenna icon, in your task tray. Then right click the SSID that matches what you setup on your phone. Then click 'Advanced Settings'. On the second tab, turn on FIPS. After I did this, it came to life the next time I connected.

1-1-2013-8-16-33-am.png
    I am having the same problem connecting my ipad, I am in India having vodafone sim, before lumia I was using it on my hd7 flawlessly, can any one pls help with that..
    Hi.

Unfortunately, the FIPS trick doesn't work in the Surface RT. It gives a "the profile requires fips 140-2 mode which is not supported by the network adapter" error....

Any other ideas? My Surface connects with everything with Internet.... except for my Lumia 920...

I don't have a problem connecting my Surface to my Lumia 920... Could it be a carrier issue?

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    Seems to be a Mac thing - after the recent updates I hoped it got fixed but the issue is still present. I can't use internet sharing at all with my MBP. It connects, works for a minute, then disconnects. Then it just keeps on disconnecting every couple of minutes.

I don't need a tethering plan here - and tethering works well with the iPhone 5.
    I tried in vain to connect an iPad. I assumed it might be a contract thing even though I was told I don't need anything extra (AT&T has told me many things over the years)... maybe it is a Mac thing if others are having success.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarettp View Post
    I'm connected right now via my iPad 2. I did have to reset my network settings though.
    Reset the phone or the iPad? Thanks.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    It works great for me on my iPad.

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Meander View Post
    It works great for me on my iPad.
    I don't know if it makes a difference, but are you with AT&T?
    SOLVED!

In my case I had to set manually the internet settings for my carrier in the Lumia. Be aware that I have seen 2 different firmwares and the options under the settings are not the same. Also, this solved the tethering issue, although the phone had no problems to connect to internet by itself without this manual adjustments.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    I had mine connected for a minute but then disconnected my laptop after I found it used 16MB while IDLE in a MINUTE. I absolutely balked as I don't have tethering on my plan.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

The problem is as someone else mentioned FIPS.

I got my phone some days ago and I have tried to turn on internet sharing for two days now.

I turned on FIPS a day ago but removed the security settings at the same time, so then it didnt work.

It has been messy with this phone.

At first it didnt recognize the sim card. I tapped on sim card and then it started "working" Then suddenly it went black and I couldnt do anything, it was dead.

I found out how you should do. You press the on/off button at the same time as the volume down button, then it reboots.

Now I finally can use internet sharing. You hover at the bottom in the right on networks, click it, right click the actual network, choose view connection properties, choose security tab, choose advanced settings and tick "Enable FIPS".

Global Posts
    2,431 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zipro View Post
    For how long did you keep it connected?

I'm having problems with the connection, as well:

1. Macbook Pro connects without an issue

2. After pretty much exactly one minute (which also happens to be the screen-timeout setting on the Lumia), the connection is dropped.

3. I can reconnect, but after another couple of minutes, the connection drops again. From then on, the WiFi adapter on my MBP doesn't react anymore until I do a full reboot.
    With the new updated firmware the settings for turn off include never so maybe that should do the trick if you've gotten the update for those on ATT
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

For those who still have this issue, I think I found the solution. Well, it works for me so far...

Possible solution for Lumia 920 not being able to share internet with Windows 8 PCs!

Global Posts
    1,444 Global Posts
    Able to tether to my rt this weekend in Vegas.

Global Posts
    276 Global Posts
    I am able to connect to my Windows 8 laptop no problem.

Lumia 920 on Rogers.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast