I was going to get the 920 but

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
1) Software issue, fixable - and btw, on its way within the next few days.
2) ??? Software issue, fixable (or you can leave display brightness on "high" all the time).
3) Software issue with background tasks and the LTE radio, fixable.

All in all, I think the phone has very very few design flaws that you'll end up getting used to (like the vibrate rattling).

1) how do you know?
2) my settings are set to HIGH
3) fixable but when?

KaraNari

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was a bit nervous about getting the phone too, but more so because I have never had a smart phone before and all my previous phones were really small! I think it is a bit big (but like I said I am used to minuscule phones) but I don't think it is heavy or hard to hold, it has a cute screen and the display is quite nice! The colours are vibrant, and it does lots of neat things! Photo taking seems great and I haven't even took the protecting plastic off of it yet, lol Only thing that is irksome is the vibration seems a bit loud, but no biggie! When I get to school I will just turn it off!

Ta-dah! I love this thing, it's really amazing and sleek!

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
1) how do you know?
2) my settings are set to HIGH
3) fixable but when?

1) Friend of mine (works at Nokia here in Berlin) told me.
2) Do you have automatic brightness on? If so, turn it off. Otherwise you have a defective screen.
3) Not entirely dependant on Nokia. I guess they'll make improvements on the radio stack and bundle with the camera fix, so LTE might get better battery life. I bet it won't take long, would even say it's coming before the end of the month. Background tasks depend on the developer: Nokia Drive (one of the background tasks which messes with the battery) will surely work better on the final version, current is a beta. Other apps, complain with the developers.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
1) Friend of mine (works at Nokia here in Berlin) told me.
2) Do you have automatic brightness on? If so, turn it off. Otherwise you have a defective screen.
3) Not entirely dependant on Nokia. I guess they'll make improvements on the radio stack and bundle with the camera fix, so LTE might get better battery life. I bet it won't take long, would even say it's coming before the end of the month. Background tasks depend on the developer: Nokia Drive (one of the background tasks which messes with the battery) will surely work better on the final version, current is a beta. Other apps, complain with the developers.

Cool, hope you're right!

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
look at complaints with a grain of salt

Even though my first 920 was defective (band across the front with no touch), I am not bothered and love my Lumia. That is what warranties are for. As for the daylight photos, from what I understand, it should be fixable with firmware updates, and as they did on the 900, they look like they address the issues in a reasonable amount of time. I saw Nokia send out updates more than any other company. Heck, I never got any updates on my Samsung Focus to correct the disappearing keyboard. Nokia seems to stand behind their products and step up to the plate to fix issues quickly. If we have to wait a little bit for fixes, it is no big deal. My daughter has an HTC Freestyle. Although it is a very well build and durable phone, it has fatal texting issues that HTC has admitted to, but after a year and a half, have failed to do anything to address.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The two longest threads on this forum are about people who are upset they don't already have their Lumia 920 in-hand.

I'd say that's a sign that this phone is amazing.

Personally, I haven't had any of the problems that have been posted here. The Lumia 920 is awesome. :)

TotalLamer

Sep 15, 2009
Visit site
Do keep in mind that people aren't necessarily going to create threads saying "My Lumia 920 is performing exactly as I expected it to, post here if yours is too!" People will come and whine if they have problems. So reading a forum like this isn't exactly the most accurate representation. If you go to a forum for every phone, you'd think EVERY phone sucked reading them.

TheBigJMoney

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
If you only want to read "great" things about a product you're considering:

A) Stay out of the forums dedicated to said product.
B) Only visit the manufacturers website of said product.

By and large tech forums are for people who are trying to sort out problems.

ky Phan

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This is by far the best overall package of a phone I've had.

Here are the last 5 phones I've had:

Samsung Galaxy S3
Iphone 4s
Galaxy Nexus
Droid X
HTC Evo

The feel of this phone is amazing; it's solid and feels like a premium device

WP8 is really responsive with no lags. Battery life has been incredible. I unplug when i go to sleep, use it heavily throughout the day with gmail/enterprise email push on. When i get home around 6 my battery is still over 50%. None of the devices mentioned above could last a day w/o plugging in.

There could be minor annoyances like no fast forward function and daylight camera issues. But at the end of the day i'm sure there will be a fix for it.

Best all around phone up to date.

thePhiL

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
lol, you want a phone and reconsider because you are reading a forum where people complain things? Thats what the forum is for and that is what humans do. We always talk about the bad things, not the good things. Go and get one, try it for free for 14 days (you can give it back.. contract will be canceled etc). Make your own opinion and don't take the opinions from a forum which is focusing of problems.

supafoo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Let's assume a device has a 1% bug rate.

sells 500 devices = 5 buggy device and 5 user reports on forum.
sells 5000 devices = 50 buggy device fails and 50 user reports on forum.
sells 50000 devices = 500 buggy device fails and 500 user reports on forum.

The more popular the device, the more people will report bugs.

vioalas

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to attack the OP but were you just trolling? You're like "I'll pass" and now you haven't even replied again on a thread you started..

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to attack the OP but were you just trolling? You're like "I'll pass" and now you haven't even replied again on a thread you started..

He has his mind made up, and just wanted to let people know.

Hats off to the guy for reading 230,000+ posts, though.

Last edited:

Necroscope

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
This is by far the best overall package of a phone I've had.

There could be minor annoyances like no fast forward function and daylight camera issues. But at the end of the day i'm sure there will be a fix for it.

If those are your two issues, I am about to make (half) your day. The skip forward and backward buttons work as FF and RW if you press and hold them. Tapping them skips.

esarz

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
After ready the posts in this forum, I will pass.

969638-cool_story__bro_super.jpg

philxor

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 920 for all of 2.5 days now and I am probably going to trade it in for the 8X just due to the form factor, but that's just me and my own personal preference. I may chicken out in the end and end up keeping the 920.

My battery life has been excellent, it lasts more than a day with LTE along with doing plenty on the phone. I haven't had any of the issues with battery life others have mentioned. My phone has had no reboots since I first turned it on except the one time I reset it to the factory defaults.

Build quality the vibration rattle is somewhat annoying. My phone also has a slight light leak on the lower left hand side of the screen bezel. Other than that it is a very solid phone.

I have a number of software niggles but I know those are software issues and not hardware.

I would have no problem recommending the phone to anyone.

Iamdunne

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
lol, you want a phone and reconsider because you are reading a forum where people complain things? Thats what the forum is for and that is what humans do. We always talk about the bad things, not the good things. Go and get one, try it for free for 14 days (you can give it back.. contract will be canceled etc). Make your own opinion and don't take the opinions from a forum which is focusing of problems.

Agreed but restock fee with AT&T.

Iamdunne

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 920 for all of 2.5 days now and I am probably going to trade it in for the 8X just due to the form factor, but that's just me and my own personal preference. I may chicken out in the end and end up keeping the 920.

My battery life has been excellent, it lasts more than a day with LTE along with doing plenty on the phone. I haven't had any of the issues with battery life others have mentioned. My phone has had no reboots since I first turned it on except the one time I reset it to the factory defaults.

Build quality the vibration rattle is somewhat annoying. My phone also has a slight light leak on the lower left hand side of the screen bezel. Other than that it is a very solid phone.

I have a number of software niggles but I know those are software issues and not hardware.

I would have no problem recommending the phone to anyone.
I like the prettiness of the HTC took and have the HTC One X and had the HTC Vivid and HTC Inspire. But, for $100 more you get half the storage. That is a negative for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb