I was going to get the 920 but

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
the phone is really good. Really fast and responsive. Feels good in the hand.

Yes, even though it pi55es me off but an update can fix the following issues that users have had:

1) Poor Daylight Camera Pictures - Not Sharp
2) Display seems a bit dim
3)Battery issues

For me if the above issues get resolved by Nokia then this without a shadow of doubt will be the best phone out there.

At the moment SGS3 and IPHONE 5 can produce sharper daylight images!

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
You should have seen MacRumors after the iPhone 5 was released, tons of threads complaining about poor battery life and crappy photos and this and that. Does that mean its a bad phone? Of course not. Its simply a byproduct of the internet, every device has flaws, and places like this act as a magnifying glass and often make things appear to be worse than they are. I guarantee you for every person that has problem or doesn't like their 920 there's a hundred others that have no problem whatsoever and love their phones. Thing is those people don't go around posting threads on the internet talking about how perfect their phones are and how much they love them (for the most part), instead what you see is that vocal minority posting about various issues or this or that which makes it look like everyone is having problems all the sudden.

Thats not to say that the 920 doesn't have problems, it definitely does but its stupid to right it off just because of some forum posts on a website. If you're truly interested in the phone, and its doesn't seem like you are or you wouldn't have written it off so quickly, then I'd recommend exercising that 14 day return policy and deciding for yourself. Anything else is meaningless.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
What posts deterred you from getting it? Please don't say it was those spamming posts about its weight because that has been highly exaggerated

njblackberry

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Greg - the Lumia 920 is the best phone I've ever used. I have none of the problems mentioned by some (weak battery - OMG the battery lasts much longer than on a 9900 or my Lumia 710) or overheating. I got the black one, with a wireless charging pad. The phone and OS are brilliant.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The uninspiring day light performance of the camera is simply unforgivable. It's the ONLY real thing Lumia 920 has going for it. Nokia made it sound like some second coming of the camera. After all that to release a camera that under performs, especially compared to iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III which are in no way proper camera phones, is simply unforgivable.

Where is the OTA update to solve this? It's clearly just a minor software issue so just bring the OTA out. I'm sure when they do, AT&T will take 6 months to approve it.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The uninspiring day light performance of the camera is simply unforgivable. It's the ONLY real thing Lumia 920 has going for it. Nokia made it sound like some second coming of the camera. After all that to release a camera that under performs, especially compared to iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III which are in no way proper camera phones, is simply unforgivable.

Where is the OTA update to solve this? It's clearly just a minor software issue so just bring the OTA out. I'm sure when they do, AT&T will take 6 months to approve it.

totally agree with you.

One things for sure the next time Nokia promise something AMAZING, ill take it with a pinch of salt.

death_eater

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For me after reading almost all the reviews, now I'm also checking the forums to see the experiences of all who bought it. I was also kind of surprised to see the issues with their L920 and yes 2 days ago I changed my mind of not buying L920. But when I checked the market, there is no better phone right now. Iphone 5, S3, One X+, Nexus 4 & 8x are the only alternative and as much as I would like to go back to Droid I will pass and want to try out this Windows. And I don't like Apple.

So I will wait for Nokia to release their new monster here in Dubai.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
For me after reading almost all the reviews, now I'm also checking the forums to see the experiences of all who bought it. I was also kind of surprised to see the issues with their L920 and yes 2 days ago I changed my mind of not buying L920. But when I checked the market, there is no better phone right now. Iphone 5, S3, One X+, Nexus 4 & 8x are the only alternative and as much as I would like to go back to Droid I will pass and want to try out this Windows. And I don't like Apple.

So I will wait for Nokia to release their new monster here in Dubai.

tbh if i was you id wait for a bit and get the L920 when all the issues have a been fix. L920 is an annoying device at the moment.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
You should have seen MacRumors after the iPhone 5 was released, tons of threads complaining about poor battery life and crappy photos and this and that. Does that mean its a bad phone? Of course not. Its simply a byproduct of the internet, every device has flaws, and places like this act as a magnifying glass and often make things appear to be worse than they are. I guarantee you for every person that has problem or doesn't like their 920 there's a hundred others that have no problem whatsoever and love their phones. Thing is those people don't go around posting threads on the internet talking about how perfect their phones are and how much they love them (for the most part), instead what you see is that vocal minority posting about various issues or this or that which makes it look like everyone is having problems all the sudden.

Thats not to say that the 920 doesn't have problems, it definitely does but its stupid to right it off just because of some forum posts on a website. If you're truly interested in the phone, and its doesn't seem like you are or you wouldn't have written it off so quickly, then I'd recommend exercising that 14 day return policy and deciding for yourself. Anything else is meaningless.

Exactly. Those who have no issues ignore the internet altogether (Or for some reason go around MacRumor's and tell everyone who is having issues that its their fault) and if they have issues on the new device they just bought they spring to the internet to see if someone else had the same issue to see if it can be resolved.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember again about "vocal minority". People who have no issues with their phones, unless they are regular forum users, won't come posting "HEY MY 920 IS PERFECT I LOVE IT". While people who have a defect/issues will far easier make a thread asking if there is anyone else with similar problems. This gives a misleading image how it looks like majority of Lumia 920s are faulty. The only real issue that effects every phone is the camera in daylight, which is a software problem and is being addressed. Anything else is a bad/defect unit that does not reflect the state of the actual device.

It's sorta like.. I knew this guy who worked at the same Nokia factory I did (although I worked as a security guard). Early on when the N8 came out he was telling people not to buy it cos they are like all broken and have tons of defects. This was cos he worked at the repair team, of which had the sole purpose of fixing the broken phones. All he saw every day was broken N8s, which gave him the image that N8 is an unreliable/bad phone, which is most certainly not the case. N8 was one of the more durable and reliable smartphones of 2010.

One of my university teachers told a similar story. She used to work with babies that were born with defects (I dont know a more appropriate word, don't mean to sound cold). When she was expecting herself, she found herself thinking all the time that her baby will have some defect too "right out of the gate". Her husband was constantly reminding her how majority of babies born are totally normal and she should stop worrying, but when defect newborns was all she saw at her work, she sorta got stuck with it thinking that it's "normal" for all babies to have defects and was expecting hers to have some too.

If your device has a defect, the warranty will exchange the product. Don't decide to not buy the device cos you read that many people on forums have issues. If you have those issues, you can get a new unit or even ask for your money back.

tumaykilinc

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
You have to remember again about "vocal minority". People who have no issues with their phones, unless they are regular forum users, won't come posting "HEY MY 920 IS PERFECT I LOVE IT". While people who have a defect/issues will far easier make a thread asking if there is anyone else with similar problems. This gives a misleading image how it looks like majority of Lumia 920s are faulty. The only real issue that effects every phone is the camera in daylight, which is a software problem and is being addressed. Anything else is a bad/defect unit that does not reflect the state of the actual device.

It's sorta like.. I knew this guy who worked at the same Nokia factory I did (although I worked as a security guard). Early on when the N8 came out he was telling people not to buy it cos they are like all broken and have tons of defects. This was cos he worked at the repair team, of which had the sole purpose of fixing the broken phones. All he saw every day was broken N8s, which gave him the image that N8 is an unreliable/bad phone, which is most certainly not the case. N8 was one of the more durable and reliable smartphones of 2010.

Exactly what i though :) I am also getting a Lumia 920 pretty soon.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
the phone is really good. Really fast and responsive. Feels good in the hand.

Yes, even though it pi55es me off but an update can fix the following issues that users have had:

1) Poor Daylight Camera Pictures - Not Sharp
2) Display seems a bit dim
3)Battery issues

For me if the above issues get resolved by Nokia then this without a shadow of doubt will be the best phone out there.

At the moment SGS3 and IPHONE 5 can produce sharper daylight images!

1) Software issue, fixable - and btw, on its way within the next few days.
2) ??? Software issue, fixable (or you can leave display brightness on "high" all the time).
3) Software issue with background tasks and the LTE radio, fixable.

All in all, I think the phone has very very few design flaws that you'll end up getting used to (like the vibrate rattling).

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I was a little wigged out by all of the negativity until I went and saw the device for myself. I walked out of the store with it in my hand.

Don't pay any attention to the whiners in these forums. There nothing but attention seekers.

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Well first of all, we are all some sort of tech geeks here. We look very closely at every device. It is just natural that we uncover some flaws. Believe me, we will find the slightest problem with every device.
But is the Lumia 920 a bad phone? Definitely not!
I got a red one and my wife has a black one. Neither she nor I have experienced issues with it. Yes, the pictures in daylight could be a bit sharper, but I compared them to my iPhone 4s and for my part the quality is not bad at all. With a software upgrade, I am sure that the 920 will clearly outperform every smartphone camera out there. In low light or overcast days, it already does by far.
I also don't experience battery drain issues. I unplugged my 920 yesterday morning at 7:30 am and after a day of normal use (some internet, a bit of gaming, quite a bit of playing and half an hour of video calling on Skype) my battery was at 18% at midnight. This is by far the best battery performance I have seen on a smartphone in a long time.
The back of the phone did get warm when using Skype, but so did my iPhone.
My wife's 920 performs equally well. She read a book on it yesterday and therefore had the screen on constantly for hours. With gaming and emails, she drained the battery after constant use of over 6 hours. When she read on her iPhone, she had to plug in after about 4. And the batteries aren't even broken in yet...
WP8 provides the best smartphone experience I have seen in a long time.
is the 920 perfect in all aspects? No, and no phone is. But is the 920 the best smartphone I ever had? Most definitely!
Go to a store and try it. To pass on this great device because we geeks are expecting more than perfect performance would be something you might regret I believe.
At the end of the day, you need to get what's right for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb