Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By NickA
  • 1 Post By Malcolm Clement

I thought it might help a few people due to the native maps app having way better traffic info, for now at least and just because we can :)

You can do this with every location but just for the fun, you go into the normal WP8 maps application (not Nokia maps) via your address book by clicking on any address within it. That will open The normal (better) maps app. Then you go to your favo(u)rite place and hold your finger on the screen to highlight the address. Then pin the place and that will put a tile on your Start Screen where you can start the native maps app. Voila.

Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Anyway to make that your current location for the tile?

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    Good tip.

The Nokia maps and the maps you get when clicking an address are the same. It's the same mapping engine and maps. There is no separate Bing/native/normal maps anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Good tip.

The Nokia maps and the maps you get when clicking an address are the same. It's the same mapping engine and maps. There is no separate Bing/native/normal maps anymore.
    well, not quite, turn on traffic and compare Nokia maps and the maps app that you get when opening via address, there is a huge difference as the native app seems to show way more info on smaller roads also. Nokia maps only seems to display freeway and major road traffic.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboarder View Post
    well, not quite, turn on traffic and compare Nokia maps and the maps app that you get when opening via address, there is a huge difference as the native app seems to show way more info on smaller roads also. Nokia maps only seems to display freeway and major road traffic.
    There is no "native" vs. Nokia maps. MS did away with Bing maps in WP8. There is only 1 mapping engine on the phone: Nokia.
    Pete C and zolgi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    There is no "native" vs. Nokia maps. MS did away with Bing maps in WP8. There is only 1 mapping engine on the phone: Nokia.
    I just checked, there's definiately two different map apps. The native one just doesn't have a tile to click on to open it.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by americangame View Post
    I just checked, there's definiately two different map apps. The native one just doesn't have a tile to click on to open it.
    Ugh. I understand it looks different, but they are the same maps and same map engine. MS did away with Bing maps in WP8.

Goodbye, Bing Maps: Windows Phone 8 will use Nokia Maps instead | VentureBeat

Microsoft Boots Bing Maps for Nokia in Windows Phone 8

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    So after checking, I'm inclined to agree with the OP. I pulled up Nokia maps of NYC, then went back to the home screen and did as was suggested and clicked on an NYC address in my people hub. A different maps application loaded (labeled simply "maps", and you could actually switch between them. Mind you, the interfaces look exactly the same, but the OP is absolutely correct in saying there is definitely more traffic info when you click on an address. Very strange...glitch in the Nokia Maps app? After all, they are providing all the mapping info for WP8?

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    This is what I mean. Definitely same map engine. Why is there more traffic info in the "maps" app? Definitely a glitch that should be pointed out to @NokiaCareUS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20121114_0002.jpg   wp_ss_20121114_0003.jpg  

Global Posts
    224 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cancerkilla23 View Post
    This is what I mean. Definitely same map engine. Why is there more traffic info in the "maps" app? Definitely a glitch that should be pointed out to @NokiaCareUS
    Ha, you beat me to it. I ran the same test and got the same results as you.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerkilla23 View Post
    And that has been like that since WP7.5 on my Lumia 710.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hellboarder View Post
    And that has been like that since WP7.5 on my Lumia 710.
    Regardless of that...it's still something that should be fixed. All the traffic info should be displayed in the traffic layer of the Nokia Maps application.

on my phone there is a difference between the the satellite view on "Nokia maps" and the "Maps" app. The Map app appears up to date but on the "Nokia Maps" it is several years old e.g. I live near the London Olympic stadium - on Nokia Maps the satellite view shows it still under construction on the Maps as it is now!

Also the interfaces to the two maps are different!

Does anyone know how to update the Nokia Maps map to correspond to the one used by Maps?

Nick

Why don't you just use the Bing Maps Nick?
    Nokia Maps and Bing Maps are separate and there is a HUGE gap in quality between the two. I have been trying to put pressure on Nokia by contacting customer support, leaving feedback in the Nokia Maps app, and in their Discussions forum. My issue is the CRAZY lack of basic POIs when comparing Nokia Maps to Bing Maps.

I SUGGEST EVERYONE to put pressure on Nokia to merge map data with Bing maps so that we actually have decent mapping data in the US. Contact Nokia directly to put pressure on them!
    Alex Kj likes this.