what do you guys think..?

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone, this is my first post here (I've been checking here for the past couple of weeks just haven't registered)..

ok Here is my Story

I Bought Nokia Lumi on launch day, I never had a windows phone vefore so I didnt know what to expect, I actually liked the phone but I had couple of little things that I didnt like as well, I am going to list them and if there is a solutio for them please dont hesitate to respond

1. Internet explorer, I know this might sounds silly to most but I use Google search a lot and the most thing I use is google discussions and for some reason its not available on google on interner explorer..

2. The batterry life, its not very bad but was hoping for a little bit better.

3. I commute a lot and i always used my android/iphone to search for things while driving, for example I would launch siri or google now and say something like call best buy and it would call but with the lumia it would tell me there is no best buy contact...

Other than those little issues i love the phone, but unfortunately they were frustrating me so I returned the phone and bought a galaxy note 2, but here is my question and what I was thinking..

The galaxy note 2 is nice but I dont thibk I will use the stylus and I dont mind a smaller screen..

So does this sound a good move, the note 2 is 300 with contract the lumia is 100, I was thinking of getting the lumia and spend an extra 150 with the 200 I saved by getting the lumia so thats 350 and get the nexus 4 (it sucks it doesnt have lte).. in reality I might just be gappy with the lumia but I have the option to get the nexus 4..

And my other question is how good is ms with updating windows phones?

Sorry about the long post and spelling mistakes I am trying to type this quickly im on break haha

Thanks in advance.

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
For your point # 3, Tap and hold the Windows icon at the bottom, it will launch the voice activated function. You can give commands to launch apps and call someone. \

Also, the easiest search feature is just by tapping the magnifying glass at the bottom right. I know it uses Bing, but it's much more easier and intuitive.

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I did use the windows button but it said I dont have the conract so from what I understand is it only searches for saved contacts..

And I didnt use bing much to be honost I should have though..

Thanks for the reply

For your point # 3, Tap and hold the Windows icon at the bottom, it will launch the voice activated function. You can give commands to launch apps and call someone. \

Also, the easiest search feature is just by tapping the magnifying glass at the bottom right. I know it uses Bing, but it's much more easier and intuitive.

muddtt

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This is a windows phone website so the obvious answer is that we like windows phones....there will always be some features that the other won't have. The other question that you have to ask is what features of wp8 you like that android doesn't have. That might be harder since you haven't spent that much time with the phone.

But honestly, go where your comfortable. If wp8 is to much of a leap out of your comfort zone just stick with android. All the android phones you mentioned are great phones.

MS is learning how to be better with their updates. They try to be like apple, but the carriers hold the updates back a little more. But they still come out regularly. I choose not to go with the note 2 specifically cause I know i'll never see an update cause samsung sucks at it and the carriers make it even worse.

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thats the thing I really like the ui, fludity, build quality and freshness, thats why i am thinking of getting the lumia again and get the nexus 4 too for a 100 more I can get two phones instead of my note..

And is there any way to find google discussions ? Does bing have someth like that that I couldn't find?

This is a windows phone website so the obvious answer is that we like windows phones....there will always be some features that the other won't have. The other question that you have to ask is what features of wp8 you like that android doesn't have. That might be harder since you haven't spent that much time with the phone.

But honestly, go where your comfortable. If wp8 is to much of a leap out of your comfort zone just stick with android. All the android phones you mentioned are great phones.

MS is learning how to be better with their updates. They try to be like apple, but the carriers hold the updates back a little more. But they still come out regularly. I choose not to go with the note 2 specifically cause I know i'll never see an update cause samsung sucks at it and the carriers make it even worse.

kumasokka

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
You can set the default search engine to google for IE10 in settings. The hardware button still uses bing, but IE can be set to google.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I did use the windows button but it said I dont have the conract so from what I understand is it only searches for saved contacts..

There is no *real* Siri or Google now Equivalent on WP8. That's one of the huge features missing on the platform IMO. It can do a few smart things like basic google searches, but you can't tell it things like finding a number on the net to automatically call, or set reminders, to name a few. It is what it is. Siri, prior to iOS6 was pretty terrible anyway, so I can't say I used it much. It got better with 6.x, but I sort of trained myself not to use it anymore and got used to that. Google Now, on the other hand, was phenomenal from the getgo. I would love something that matches the competition. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long, although I am not sure there is anything in the works (that is public knowledge) at all.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Anybody else got something to add? Do you guys think it's smart to get the 920 and nexus 4 or just keep the note 2?

I will probably be getting the Nexus 4. At $350 off contract, it seems like a no-brainer. I fear I will miss LTE though. I'd rather have the 920 alongside the Nexus 4 than just the Note 2, but I personally find the Note 2 just too big. If you are in need of a "phablet", then go for it, as neither device is going to duplicate the features you may be looking for in the Note 2.

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid that I will miss lte too thats the only drawback and some early reviews said the wasnt that great but people were saying there should be some update to fix it..as far as the note I'm getting used to the size so no complains there, I dont use the stylus though, I feel like I'm using it to the fullest, and in my opinion the screen on the lumia is a lot better than the note 2, the note 2 is not bad but lumia is better in my opinion...

I will probably be getting the Nexus 4. At $350 off contract, it seems like a no-brainer. I fear I will miss LTE though. I'd rather have the 920 alongside the Nexus 4 than just the Note 2, but I personally find the Note 2 just too big. If you are in need of a "phablet", then go for it, as neither device is going to duplicate the features you may be looking for in the Note 2.

manunitedfan5

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
You can set the default search engine to google for IE10 in settings. The hardware button still uses bing, but IE can be set to google.

I see, is there a way to choose Google discussions ? I tried hard to find it but I couldn't, I even changed countries in Google and couldn't find it...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077