Easily Scratched Screen

pintozoz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So,

Anyone else already scratched their screen? Seems it's not made of the same hard-to-scratch material from other phones. I've only had the phone two days and already have some scratches on the screen.

I do NOT put any else on the same pocket with my phone. Seems to be from putting my phone in and out of my pocket.

Am I just the only unlucky one?

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So,

Anyone else already scratched their screen? Seems it's not made of the same hard-to-scratch material from other phones. I've only had the phone two days and already have some scratches on the screen.

I do NOT put any else on the same pocket with my phone. Seems to be from putting my phone in and out of my pocket.

Am I just the only unlucky one?

Scratching the screen itself is not that easy. If you're talking about the hair thin scratches that can be seen only in specific angles, this is the oleophobic coating and not the screen. I have a Lumia 800 with quite a few of these, but I managed to fix some by reading a few tutorials at XDA developers.

If you really do mind those little details, better get a case or screen protector.

It works fine for me without one :)

nico002

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless your pants are made out of crushed diamonds, you are not scratching a gorilla glass screen by just taking it our of your pocket.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
The screen should be Gorilla Glass 2, which by all accounts should be extremely durable and not easily scratched, especially not by just putting your phone in or taking it out of your pocket.

pintozoz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Scratching the screen itself is not that easy. If you're talking about the hair thin scratches that can be seen only in specific angles, this is the oleophobic coating and not the screen. I have a Lumia 800 with quite a few of these, but I managed to fix some by reading a few tutorials at XDA developers.

If you really do mind those little details, better get a case or screen protector.

It works fine for me without one :)
I guess this is what I mean. Would you happen to have a link to this fix? They told me they'll replace the phone for me, but if It's still gonna happen, might as well have the link.

igoramadas

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess this is what I mean. Would you happen to have a link to this fix? They told me they'll replace the phone for me, but if It's still gonna happen, might as well have the link.

Gorilla glass scratch repair - xda-developers

Please note that by doing it you'll be killing the whole oleophobic layer and your screen will have no thin scratches but will be a smudge magnet.

I did it once, but probably won't do it with my 920 because these scratches don't bother me anymore.

venom5150

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I know I go against the grain but I have my wallet in one of my pockets and my keys on the other. No way I want my phone next to my wallet so I just use a holster. Microfiber lining makes it impossible to scratch. I use to have my iphone4s in my pocket and I could see the superficial light scratches which would bother me a bit.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible for you to show us a picture of the scratch? I'm curious what it looks like.

In another thread someone claimed they could scratch their screen using their fingernail. I tried this myself on my own screen many times and it's still scratch free, looks perfect.

I'm wondering if a few phones just have bad screens on them.

pintozoz

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
They're tiny scratches, you can't physically feel them, but their easy to notice, especially against light backgrounds. It's not affecting the phone in any performance way, but I notice tiny details like these and they drive me insane. It particularly sucks since the phone is less then 4 days old.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible for you to show us a picture of the scratch? I'm curious what it looks like.

In another thread someone claimed they could scratch their screen using their fingernail. I tried this myself on my own screen many times and it's still scratch free, looks perfect.

I'm wondering if a few phones just have bad screens on them.

That was me scratching my wife's phone. It obviously didn't feel like glass. Almost like some sort of wax. So I don't believe that the actual glass has any scratches.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've got some of these same kind of scratches on my screen and it is a little upsetting after only having it a week. I wish there was a way to repair the oleophobic coating. My wife has had hers in a case and doesn't have any scratches on hers. I've only been putting mine into my very soft jacket pockets so I'm not sure how I got the scratches on there.

naldonnis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't they have something by monster or zagg that you can actually apply a type of olephobic coating to a phone that doesn't have one? If so would that repair that type of scratch? I'm asking because I just noticed a small one on my screen after 2 days of owning my new red 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12