Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Has anyone found a practical, day to day use for NFC on your 920? I don't know anyone else with a WP so that's out. Can I use this to pay for things at any stores or gas stations yet? Anything else? So far it just seems like a stat that Nokia was able to tick off but with no actual utility.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I'd like to be able to buy tags and write certain parameters to them.

Example: Have one tag disable data, enable wifi, and launch iHeartRadio when I point the phone towards it. I'll put right next to my house's door.

Another tag which turns WIFI off and turns Data ON and i'll put it in my car.

That's what I'd like to use NFC for besides payments and such.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    I'd like to be able to buy tags and write certain parameters to them.

Example: Have one tag disable data, enable wifi, and launch iHeartRadio when I point the phone towards it. I'll put right next to my house's door.

Another tag which turns WIFI off and turns Data ON and i'll put it in my car.

That's what I'd like to use NFC for besides payments and such.
    You can do that on Android and Blackberry NFC phones, they have NFC apps.
    the NFC Interator App for WP is new, so it doesn't have those functions for changing settings.
    It looks like you can make the NFC Interator App open up other Apps, but it looks a little complicated.. Nfc Interactor | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Thanked by:
    Xsever 

PIN
    No
    I bought some tags, should come in sometime next week, I'll play around with the Nfc app and see what it can do. I imagine it will only be improved with time.
    prjkthack
    Nokia Lumia 1020, Nokia Lumia 1520, iPhone 6
    Surface Pro 128GB

Damn I want to try these out but programming sounds like a pain, someone make an app for it, please?

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
    I bought some tags, should come in sometime next week, I'll play around with the Nfc app and see what it can do. I imagine it will only be improved with time.
    Please let us know what you find out. Message me directly if you prefer. We can collaborate on this.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Keep in mind too that it requires hardware to actually be available for the technology to catch on. The more phones that have the NFC available, the more we'll see it crop up in the real world.

Does anyone if there is a way to enable NFC wallet payments on the 920? Do we have to ask for a special SIM from the carrier or is that just not an option at all currently?
    AFAIK NFC on WP can't be used to make payments. Bummer... especially since there is a wallet app built right in. Hoping this functionality comes to the phone/OS ASAP. None of the other uses for NFC appeal to me in the slightest.