Help please! Lumia 920 won't power up

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Short version: How do I force my Lumia to power up?? It's dead.

Long version:

I was home in between work and a meeting. Spent time surfing the forums here, giving great reviews of my Lumia 920. I updated my WPCentral app, surfed Facebook, checked my battery level, grabbed my phone, and then left for my meeting.

The phone was in my pocket. Got to my meeting, retrieved it, and it won't power up. The battery level was at 40% when I had checked it 10 minutes earlier. I don't *think* it could have drained that much that quickly??

When this happened with my Android phone, I'd pop out the battery and put it back in and all would be well. I have NO IDEA what to do with this phone to get it back alive.

I'm going to throw it on the charger and pray, but if someone can give me the super secret button combination needed to kick this thing in the butt, I would appreciate it!

please just be low on juice, please just be low on juice! /prayer

Kelly Prophet

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Short version: How do I force my Lumia to power up?? It's dead.

Long version:

I was home in between work and a meeting. Spent time surfing the forums here, giving great reviews of my Lumia 920. I updated my WPCentral app, surfed Facebook, checked my battery level, grabbed my phone, and then left for my meeting.

The phone was in my pocket. Got to my meeting, retrieved it, and it won't power up. The battery level was at 40% when I had checked it 10 minutes earlier. I don't *think* it could have drained that much that quickly??

When this happened with my Android phone, I'd pop out the battery and put it back in and all would be well. I have NO IDEA what to do with this phone to get it back alive.

I'm going to throw it on the charger and pray, but if someone can give me the super secret button combination needed to kick this thing in the butt, I would appreciate it!

please just be low on juice, please just be low on juice! /prayer
It may have just frozen - I haven't experienced this but I've heard if you hold down the volume button and the power button at the same time (for several seconds) it will do a hard-reboot of the phone.

I've heard the same thing said but that you need to push the volume, power, and camera button at the same time for several seconds.

After you get it back working - if you have Nokia Drive+ Beta installed - remove it. Seems a LOT of people are reporting it causing major problems - one being rapid power drain.

Best of luck to you.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It may have just frozen - I haven't experienced this but I've heard if you hold down the volume button and the power button at the same time (for several seconds) it will do a hard-reboot of the phone.

I've heard the same thing said but that you need to push the volume, power, and camera button at the same time for several seconds.

After you get it back working - if you have Nokia Drive+ Beta installed - remove it. Seems a LOT of people are reporting it causing major problems - one being rapid power drain.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you VERY much. The volume/power combo worked. Oddly, when it came back up my display was dimmed. I checked the settings and it was still set to Medium, but I had to toggle it to Auto and back to Medium before it brightened up. (Battery was up to 60% from my short drop on the charger)

I had no idea this is what happened when it "freezes". I was really panicking at the thought of this phone possibly being dead. Thank you again for your help!

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Random question, do you have Words with friends on your phone? I had it on mine, and it seemed to be the cause of mine locking up like you describe. After it did it to me this morning fully charged (wouldn't turn on and thought it died on the charger) I uninstalled words. It had locked my phone up previously as well. Haven't had an issue with that since. Just a possibility.

lottidah

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Random question, do you have Words with friends on your phone? I had it on mine, and it seemed to be the cause of mine locking up like you describe. After it did it to me this morning fully charged (wouldn't turn on and thought it died on the charger) I uninstalled words. It had locked my phone up previously as well. Haven't had an issue with that since. Just a possibility.

Hi, yes I did buy the WWF app and I may have opened it once early this morning. Hmm.

FourByGuy

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok my 920 would not power on just now and the volume/power/pic button did the trick, thanks. I do not have WWF installed, but I did have Drive beta installed and quickly uninstalled it just to be safe.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It happened to me on Tuesday, so I exchanged it that day. It hasn't happened with my replacement phone. What sucks is that I had to trade my cyan for a black 920.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mymontey

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Exact same thing happened to me and talk about scary!!!! I went for about 3 1/2 hours without the phone...heck I just knew it was gone. It wasn't until just pulling up this post that I was able to power on the phone. To confirm you must hold both the volume and power buttons for about 7 seconds and back to life your phone should be (at least that's my happy ending). I hope to never experience this again (although not so practical) because it really is an awesome phone, but things like this guarantee to put a bad taste in your mouth.:shocked:

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, I had the wireless charger (the nokia one from at&t) lock my phone up after leaving it on the plate all night. Its fine up to fully charged, then you need to remove it. But the wired charger doesn't do it.

EK1

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Mine also froze-up after a full night charge on a Qi charger (Energizer). Didn't happen for the first 2 nights, but on the 3rd I thought I had a dead phone until I read this post - thanks!

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine also froze-up after a full night charge on a Qi charger (Energizer). Didn't happen for the first 2 nights, but on the 3rd I thought I had a dead phone until I read this post - thanks!
No problem. It worked fine after a soft reset? I'll use the wireless at work or if I'm on the Xbox, but for overnight I'd recommend sticking with wired. And I've notified Nokia customer care about it thru twitter, might recommend doing the same, let them know its also 3rd party chargers doing it.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to me. My phone froze right when I opened WWF. I am glad that there was a thread focused on this, because I would not have know how to reboot my phone. I deleted WWF.

pike1783

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me this morning. I've had my Lumia since day 1 with no issues. For reference I do not have words with friends installed and while Nokia Drive+ Beta is on my phone, I've never launched it. My phone was not hooked up to a charger and had 64% life when I checked it at 7am. At 8am it was frozen. Glad to see the reset worked but hope they fix this issue.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Glad I can help. And please do like I did and let Nokia customer care know about these kind of issues, if we can help them zero in on it by letting them know, they can improve it for all of us.

earl_z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me, only I briefly put my on the wireless charger to try it out. Thanks for posting this. It should be a sticky!

S Rodrigo

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
That is a soft reset and it is at least 10 seconds. A Hard reboot is back to factory settings (last resort) which is vol down, power, and camera button held down - this has been reported to cause other issues resulting in firmware having to be reflashed. If the battery was run dead a soft reset should be plenty. Probably is a fail safe to keep the phone from killing the battery completely.

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Just had the same situation. 2nd day after buying it, and I don't have neither WWF nor Drive+ Beta installed.
The volume down+power combination didn't do anything, so I did the volume down+power+camera combination and it did a soft reboot, not a hard one, so the phone wasn't restored to factory settings, just booted normally, the only exception being the clock, which was completely deregulated (showing 7am and September '12, weird huh?). I've sent Nokia a message with the "feedback to Nokia" function.
Anyway, thanks for the key combination! Saved me from a heart attack..

EDIT: Oh, funny enough, when I got it back on it had exactly 39% battery left.. Maybe something happens when it hits 40%?

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Had the same thing twice already since then, yesterday a soft reboot with Vol up+power was enough, today I needed to press all three (vol down+power+camera), albeit with the same effect (soft reboot). Funny thing, every time the clock resets to exactly 6:46 and the date to some day in September..
Do you think I should return the phone? Or is it some app I've installed (I've got nothing special, just Skype, AccuWeather, SoundHound and a dictionary.. no games and I haven't installed Drive+ yet).
Or is there an effective process of notifying Nokia and having them diagnose and fix it remotely?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99