doubled my battery life!

ad2107

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Hm, just tried the hard reset using the physical buttons...

Holding Volume Down, Camera, and Power... after the vibration, I let go of the Power and continue to hold the other two. No luck, it just continues to boot normally. Am I doing something wrong?

Does the software reset in settings do the same thing?

Thanks.

gbx5

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't do this guys, your phone should already be reset to factory settings out of the box. And I read that the hard reset is really hard on the battery, if you haven't cycled your phone many times yet, you could brick it.

ibbyj

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes, don't do a factory data reset until you can get your phone to turn on, on it's own.

While I agree it's good to factory reset before setting it up, be careful.

You wouldn't format your PC daily... would you?

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Factory Reset from the Settings menu bricked my Cyan 920, now using a Black 920 and have a Cyan on Order. Debating between Cyan and Black now ugh...

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a reset and so far the results are good.

Its probably too early to tell, but my reset went very well. I had it on the charger at the time. I then pulled it out after doing some basic settings. That was at noon. Its now 2.08 pm. I've maybe done three 1 minute calls; a few texts, set up my office email and Gmail accounts, tinkered with the screen a little bit and my battery monitor (under settings) still shows 100% remaining. This is definitely better than what I had before the reset. I will keep posting updates as I use the phone.

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I just did my reset, going to let it charge to 100% and we will see how it goes.

Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Alternative experience -- I didn't do a hard reset of any kind, and my battery life is great. Easily makes it through the day from 5am to midnight with normal use (checking email, calendar, texting, browsing, light gaming, some YouTube.) I bought it on launch day, and then attended a five day conference in Orlando, which has LTE. Didn't worry about battery life at all. If you're contemplating a hard reset straight out of the box, I'd advise against it. Wait a few days and then see.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was having some serious drain. I disabled all background apps (except for weather). Even after that I was getting some serious drain when idling. I decided to power off/on the phone and see what happens. Sure enough, after a reboot the device is idling like a baby. I was at 66% for an hour, where before I was dropping 1% about every 10 minutes.

I did NOT do a hard reset.

Obviously this is a big issue, as the device should idle properly without having to do all this stuff.

On a different thought...did you all have the Nokia drive beta installed?

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On a different thought...did you all have the Nokia drive beta installed?

Yes, I did, however I had disabled it from running in the background and was still dropping anywhere from 2-4% every ten minutes. The only things I had running were the WPCentral live tile, the weather channel live tile, and parcel tracker. E-mail was only my live.com and was set to sync once an hour.

Kei Square

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
i got 2emails to check all the time, 5 lives tiles, BT, NFC, and every thing possible ON... the battery has been good.. i made it from 7am today til 7.17pm with 17% battery life... i was using it now stop... showcasing the phone and really pushing LTE speeds... people should condition their phones... discharge and recharge... but don't discharge fully.. to 5%.

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
i got 2emails to check all the time, 5 lives tiles, BT, NFC, and every thing possible ON... the battery has been good.. i made it from 7am today til 7.17pm with 17% battery life... i was using it now stop... showcasing the phone and really pushing LTE speeds... people should condition their phones... discharge and recharge... but don't discharge fully.. to 5%.

Why not fully discharge? This has been debated over and over. I'd just like to hear your reasoning. I'm a "full discharger". In my mind, I can't imagine how it is beneficial to leave 5% of the battery "untouched".

Edit:

Just saw post 344 here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-920/201672-18.htm

May change my mind...

pderosa

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with Sleewok. I power cycled the phone today and have had significantly better battery life. My thought is that when you first get the phone you install a lot of apps and this probably causes something to hang. Once you power cycle the phone it's better. Resetting the phone is probably working since you are restarting the phone in the process.

NokFromApp

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
OK, so this my update at 7 PM; my last update was at around 2.10 PM EST. I've used the phone some more for about 20 minutes of phone calls, 2-3 texts and some browsing. I also played around with my mail settings (changed my office email and outlook account form "as they arrive" to every 30 minutes). And with that, right now I am sitting at about 84%. So in 5 hours, I have lost 16%. From what I see, the battery is not being drained a lot when Idle. I also think that when I moved from Push to 30 minutes for my mail, then the battery drain was reduced. So, at this point, I have seen two things that have been beneficial
1. Hard reset
2. Not having mail set to push

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon