Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    I would not suggest resetting your phones unless having serious problems. If you do, make sure to power down phone before it.

Global Posts
    430 Global Posts
    Yes, don't do a factory data reset until you can get your phone to turn on, on it's own.

While I agree it's good to factory reset before setting it up, be careful.

You wouldn't format your PC daily... would you?
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.

Factory Reset from the Settings menu bricked my Cyan 920, now using a Black 920 and have a Cyan on Order. Debating between Cyan and Black now ugh...

as far as i can tell, doing the Reset from the Settings menu is exactly the same as doing a reset using the buttons. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
    hmm I already have some apps in place, maybe if I need to I can factory reset then pop onto the website and re-down the ones I want?

Its probably too early to tell, but my reset went very well. I had it on the charger at the time. I then pulled it out after doing some basic settings. That was at noon. Its now 2.08 pm. I've maybe done three 1 minute calls; a few texts, set up my office email and Gmail accounts, tinkered with the screen a little bit and my battery monitor (under settings) still shows 100% remaining. This is definitely better than what I had before the reset. I will keep posting updates as I use the phone.

I just did my reset, going to let it charge to 100% and we will see how it goes.

Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

Global Posts
    661 Global Posts
    Alternative experience -- I didn't do a hard reset of any kind, and my battery life is great. Easily makes it through the day from 5am to midnight with normal use (checking email, calendar, texting, browsing, light gaming, some YouTube.) I bought it on launch day, and then attended a five day conference in Orlando, which has LTE. Didn't worry about battery life at all. If you're contemplating a hard reset straight out of the box, I'd advise against it. Wait a few days and then see.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Palm Tungsten T > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Hero > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > LG Quantum > Nokia Lumia 920 > iPhone 5S
    Thanked by:
    WPenvy 

Be careful trying this, a lot of people that did a hard reset ended up bricking their phones for some reason...

I was having some serious drain. I disabled all background apps (except for weather). Even after that I was getting some serious drain when idling. I decided to power off/on the phone and see what happens. Sure enough, after a reboot the device is idling like a baby. I was at 66% for an hour, where before I was dropping 1% about every 10 minutes.

I did NOT do a hard reset.

Obviously this is a big issue, as the device should idle properly without having to do all this stuff.

On a different thought...did you all have the Nokia drive beta installed?

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sleewok View Post
    On a different thought...did you all have the Nokia drive beta installed?
    Yes, I did, however I had disabled it from running in the background and was still dropping anywhere from 2-4% every ten minutes. The only things I had running were the WPCentral live tile, the weather channel live tile, and parcel tracker. E-mail was only my live.com and was set to sync once an hour.

i got 2emails to check all the time, 5 lives tiles, BT, NFC, and every thing possible ON... the battery has been good.. i made it from 7am today til 7.17pm with 17% battery life... i was using it now stop... showcasing the phone and really pushing LTE speeds... people should condition their phones... discharge and recharge... but don't discharge fully.. to 5%.

Quote Originally Posted by Kei Square View Post
    i got 2emails to check all the time, 5 lives tiles, BT, NFC, and every thing possible ON... the battery has been good.. i made it from 7am today til 7.17pm with 17% battery life... i was using it now stop... showcasing the phone and really pushing LTE speeds... people should condition their phones... discharge and recharge... but don't discharge fully.. to 5%.
    Why not fully discharge? This has been debated over and over. I'd just like to hear your reasoning. I'm a "full discharger". In my mind, I can't imagine how it is beneficial to leave 5% of the battery "untouched".

Edit:

Just saw post 344 here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/lum.../201672-18.htm

May change my mind...

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I have to agree with Sleewok. I power cycled the phone today and have had significantly better battery life. My thought is that when you first get the phone you install a lot of apps and this probably causes something to hang. Once you power cycle the phone it's better. Resetting the phone is probably working since you are restarting the phone in the process.

OK, so this my update at 7 PM; my last update was at around 2.10 PM EST. I've used the phone some more for about 20 minutes of phone calls, 2-3 texts and some browsing. I also played around with my mail settings (changed my office email and outlook account form "as they arrive" to every 30 minutes). And with that, right now I am sitting at about 84%. So in 5 hours, I have lost 16%. From what I see, the battery is not being drained a lot when Idle. I also think that when I moved from Push to 30 minutes for my mail, then the battery drain was reduced. So, at this point, I have seen two things that have been beneficial
    1. Hard reset
    2. Not having mail set to push

So, now I am coming up to 24 hrs and the phone is sitting at 15% battery remaining. I've probably been on 3.5 to 4 hrs of calls since my last update, some browsing (not heavy). I also noticed that in 6-7 hrs of idle time when I was sleeping, the battery dropped by about 3%, which was acceptable. So, all in all, the hard reset for me has worked. I will keep adding apps gradually and see if one of the apps is causing a battery issue if I see a sudden drop. At this time, my hunch is this; I see no reason why the battery life can suddenly improve after a hard reset. What may be happening is battery calibration may be an issue and the hard reset fixes it. The reason i say this is based on my experience and also based on a few other threads I have been reading where people are saying that when there phone switches off and if they switch it back on, they can use the phone again without charging it; so the battery is not really dead, but it seems dead. I think the hard reset is just resulting in a more accurate battery level that we can see and use.

I did a reset last night. I was concerned that yesterday from fully charged I dropped to 70% while reading a 6 page recap of American horror story on EW.

After fully charging over night, my battery life holds a charge much better now. My only problem is that the letters dropped off my AP list so now I have to scroll through the list. Any idea on how to fix that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kissanviikset View Post
    I would not suggest resetting your phones unless having serious problems. If you do, make sure to power down phone before it.
    Er, how do you power down the phone before doing a factory reset? Don't you have to do it through the settings menu (meaning the phone would have to be on)?

I don't think it's necessary to reset your phone. With a little bit of tweaking you can get a good 24 hours of battery life.

I was quite amazed at how long my battery lasted yesterday after a full day of moderate-heavy usage. Phone calls, texting, web browsing, taking photos/videos, checking out apps, tweaking Ui, and a little bit of gaming.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wp_ss_20121116_0003.png  
    Thanked by:

I have achieved similar results just bye normal use this first week. When I picked up the phone Sun evening the phone had just over 50% on the battery. Getting everything set up it drained pretty quickly. Mon & Tues the battery life was horrible I had to keep it plugged in while at work. I obviously was putting some heavy usage on it getting everything set up and testing everything. Wed & Thurs is when I started to see much better results. Through normal usage from 8am to 8pm I was around 60% and last night I finally put it on the charger at 30% at 11pm. I have done about two or three reboots, one to see how long it takes and the others troubleshooting the lockscreen not updating with Bing.

Right now its at 88% and its been 4 hours since it was charged. I have work email and lync running, gmail etc.. all on push.

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    You would require a minimum number of apps for the alphabets to show up in the App list. My guess is, you might have uninstalled some apps that you had before in your app count. Just add the same number of apps that you removed. You see the letters again.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

So here's my story LOL!

When I first got the phone I had to go back and get a new sim card.. so they did a full reset after installing the new sim.

I've had the phone since Nov 14th. I just unplugged my phone from my PC after uploading some pictures from my pc..

The battery saver screen is reporting 100% and 7 hours estimated.. Could I have a defective battery or phone?

well i did a hard reset last night (2nd hard reset since i've had the phone in an attempt to get better battery life), this time i did not restore from a backup. i haven't seen any difference at all in battery life. the phone has absolutely no problems keeping a charge while on standby/idle but if i use it at all, for anything, battery life plummets. right now the battery is reading in at 66% with 6 hours remaining and 3 hours since last charge (i charged to 100% this morning).

i will keep using the phone until the last day of being able to return it and if things don't improve or if there is no firmware update to fix any of this then it is going back for good. i love everything about this phone except for the two major problems i've been having, battery life and bluetooth connectivity in my car. if those 2 issues could be fixed this thing would be perfect, i really don't want to go back to iOS but i don't know if i'll have much of a choice.

I don't think so. I could be wrong, but I think the estimate is made from however much power was lost during your previous charge.

I don't see why both of those would be an issue.

If you tweak your settings a bit(background tasks, background agents) you should have charge last you through an entire day.
    As for bluetooth, that may just be your car. Bluetooth connects fine in my car.
    Caikems likes this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast