Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Starting this thread to see what sort of luck people have had with those other charging plates; the ones not made by Nokia. As sexy as they are, I'd like to do all I can to avoid paying $50 a plate, especially when some of the others are range $8-10 various places online. I know the palm one supposedly works, but then again I have heard people say it doesn't charge very well. There is also the issue of the palm charger being slanted and the phone sliding off easily. If the plate is going to take 100 hours to charge the phone, the savings isn't worth it for me. Right now I am looking at the single device powermat. Someone out there has to have had the powermat kit, or something similar. How well has it worked for you.

Powermat is a different standard.

Since the Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, and new Nokia's all support QI wireless charging, all the compatible chargers have gone up in price due to demand.

Its a real shame, because when the 920's QI charging was first announced, i found several <10 chargers on ebay, i only brought one, it works perfectly (by Maxell), but now they cost 3-4x as much.
    Thanked by:
  3.    #3  
    Darn. I was just reading an article explaining they were different standards. That's a shame. Guess I get to fork over the $50/per. May as well jus get the Nokia ones if I am only going to save a couple bucks buying a different brand.

I'd wait till the rush is over, they'll be much cheaper on amazon within the month.

I was shocked reading the official Galaxy S3 wireless dock was something like $89. I was hoping Google or Samsung would be releasing cheaper chargers than Nokia.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    using the Energizer Qi plate and it works great, bought for $19 shipped too.
    Thanked by:

I have a Qi charging plate from Zens (bought from Amazon Germany) at work and the original Fatboy charging pillow at home.

The Zens plate was cheaper and is charging my Lumia even faster than the original one!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by marratj View Post
    I have a Qi charging plate from Zens (bought from Amazon Germany) at work and the original Fatboy charging pillow at home.

The Zens plate was cheaper and is charging my Lumia even faster than the original one!

where did you get the fatbky? Haven't seen those on sale anywhere. :(

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    You can get the black fatboy on Amazon Germany.

I'll wait some longer too, especially because the 920 battery runs out of powr with NFC turned on pretty fast. I first wanna see if they can fix it with an update...

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Does nfc need to be on to charge wirelessly?
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.

i bought the powermat 2x and the lumia doesnt work on it. it activates like it will charge but then does nothing. so weak. only paid $20 though

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ibbyj View Post
    Does nfc need to be on to charge wirelessly?
    No it doesn't.
    Thanked by:
    ibbyj 

Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumsFuture View Post
    Yeah, I bought 2 of them when I could get them on eBay for $20 a piece shipped. You can't now though. I think the cheapest I saw was $30. Still not bad though.
    Editor-in-chief

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    The Windows Phone Central Store is getting the Zen Wireless charging pad in ASAP (both in single and dual): Products

They may even be listed today and I have both coming to do a quick hands-on/review with the 920, so stay tuned. IMO, those Zen's look elegant and looking to see how well they do.

We also have some cases coming in as well...
    Daniel Rubino
    Editor in chief - Windows Central
    Email: daniel@windowscentral
    Twitter: @Daniel_Rubino
    Socl: Daniel Rubino
    Thanked by:
    shaunydub and Xsever like this.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post
    The Windows Phone Central Store is getting the Zen Wireless charging pad in ASAP (both in single and dual): Products

They may even be listed today and I have both coming to do a quick hands-on/review with the 920, so stay tuned. IMO, those Zen's look elegant and looking to see how well they do.

Any pricing info?
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChumsFuture View Post
    I have the energizer qi charger too (single), the charge is good and I can put my phone anywhere on the plate and the phone will charge. The only complaint I have is the charger makes a faint ticking noise when its not charging. I could have a defective unit, I'm going to see if I can do an exchange from amazon.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Rubino View Post

I would also be interested in some pricing info if possible :)

Global Posts
    8,086 Global Posts
    I decided to pick up the Oregon Scientific QW201 Clock/Wireless Charger.

I'm still waiting for it to pick up the atomic clock signal, but it is very simple as a clock. Only one alarm, with the controls for that very stupidly on the bottom of the thing.

It comes with an outdoor temperature sensor, which is pretty useful, and also measures indoor temperature.

Anyway, for the important parts...

It seems to be working great as a charger, and there's even a blue light under the clock that comes on when the device is charging. The only caveat is that the bottom of the phone needs to be to the left or towards you when placing the phone on the pad.
    Thanked by:
    ibbyj and HAAS599 like this.

Global Posts
    2,698 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I decided to pick up the Oregon Scientific QW201 Clock/Wireless Charger.

Click to view quoted image

I'm still waiting for it to pick up the atomic clock signal, but it is very simple as a clock. Only one alarm, with the controls for that very stupidly on the bottom of the thing.

It comes with an outdoor temperature sensor, which is pretty useful, and also measures indoor temperature.

Anyway, for the important parts...

Click to view quoted image

It seems to be working great as a charger, and there's even a blue light under the clock that comes on when the device is charging. The only caveat is that the bottom of the phone needs to be to the left or towards you when placing the phone on the pad.
    Where did you pick it up?

Global Posts
    8,086 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Where did you pick it up?
    Sorry, I didn't mean from a store in person, I bought it from their us.oregonscientific.com web store.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    did anyone try this? its very cheap but im not sure if it would work.. i still dont have my phone (preordered a yellow one :( on the 8th)
    Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre: Electronics

CMON ATT SHIP IT! I NEED IT!

Global Posts
    8,086 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henilp89 View Post
    did anyone try this? its very cheap but im not sure if it would work.. i still dont have my phone (preordered a yellow one :( on the 8th)
    Amazon.com: Palm Touchstone Charging Dock for Palm Pre: Electronics
    Yes it's been tried, and no it doesn't work. It turns on the signal as if it was charging, but the battery % doesn't increase.

I used the ZENS charger and really works great on my Nokia Lumia 920. They are now available here in the WPC shop!

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jean2000 View Post
    I used the ZENS charger and really works great on my Nokia Lumia 920. They are now available here in the WPC shop!
    At $50, i dont see why someone would buy this over Nokia's one!
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
    Last edited by Xsever; 11-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsever View Post
    At $50, i dont see what someone would buy this over Nokia's one!
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920
    Availability?

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Plenty on ebay for $50 when I checked yesterday.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast