Today is truly a sad day....

PhilR8

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Tell them how it happened and that this is a crack in your trust, not just your phone. And they better do something ABOUT it.

Glass breaks when dropped. Not always, but dropped in the right way or from the right height, it will break. It is not indestructible, Gorilla Glass 2 or not. There is no breach of trust here.

nicewabbit

May 7, 2012
Visit site
That sucks! I dropped my 900 while in the bleacher seats at a football game and it survived like a champ, the only damage being a dent on the top right of the phone.

Does the raised glass surface on the 920 somehow make it more prone to damage?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
had to check about Palco and it is the same place i was referred to last year when i asked about repairing my N8 audio jack.
Iv dropped and even accidentally thrown that N8 across a room (by mistake of course) and the thing survived everything.
Then when i was handing it to my wife it slipped from about a 1ft off the ground between two chairs and hit the corner of the phone, and seemngly cracked the PCB inside so that the audio jack wouldnt work anymore.... so yes, Nokia phones survive a lot of abuse but those corners are vulnerable just like any other phone.... off topic - look at the "rugged" cover for the 820, its got extra protection for the corners.
anyways... Palco has been used by others around the web for Nokia repairs... its an authorised repair unit so should be reuptable.
of course YMMV.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Tweeted Nokia and they referred me to Palco Cellphone Repair. Looks like they will only charge $177 to fix. Anyone have any experience dealling with them?
Hats off to ya MT. Don't be a dishonest and try to scam the system. There is only one thing most people dispise more than overly-whiney people. Thats dishonest people...

I'm also calling right now to add the insurance to my device.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Couldn't this thread have been an attempt at viral marketing by AT&T to lure Lumia 920 customers who felt the design of the 920 made it damage proof and didn't need a case for it? Maybe it's a bit of cross-promotional work with Ottterbox and there will be some kind of $200 bundle that includes the phone, an Otterbox Defender case and the wireless charging pad and a vehicle mount.

/tinfoil hat is secured

fhumphrey04

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No ****! I passed up the insurance online because I felt that this phone wouldn't need it. I'm doing the same thing today. Just to be safe.

I feel like the extra heft of this phone makes the screen that much more likely to shatter if it lands the wrong way. I'm curious to see how the iPhone 5 would fair in comparison if dropped directly on the screen due to it weighing 30% less.

But yeah, good call on the insurance. $7/month is worth it.

Major Trip

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I definantly will be getting insurance on the next go around. I was able to find 2 Lumia 810s NIB for $100 a piece (T-Mobile Employee's free phone so he makes 100 plus the credit on my advication). So I think I am going to return wife's 920 back to AT&T and switch service from Net10 to TMobiles unlimited.

I know the the 810 isn't as good as the 920 but i figure I would rather pay $200 for the two 810s and not $900 for the 920s I bought.

I will just keep my broken 920 until hopefully there is a unlock and then I will pay to get it fixed.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel like the extra heft of this phone makes the screen that much more likely to shatter if it lands the wrong way. I'm curious to see how the iPhone 5 would fair in comparison if dropped directly on the screen due to it weighing 30% less.

But yeah, good call on the insurance. $7/month is worth it.

Falling on the screen hardly breaks devices like these. It's usually falling on the corner, just look at the shatter pattern and look at drop tests, most screen shatters happen when device falls on it's corner.

That said, saw both iPhone 5 and SGS3 shatter their screens with a similar corner-landing, while all three devices are pretty much scratchless when landing on their screen.

Toolzero

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
L920 = $450
Insurance = $7/mo = $84/yr = $168/2-yr
Deductible = $125

$450 - $125 = $325 (amount saved if phone breaks)

Paying $168 up front to save $325 IF you break your phone is not good math unless you are very likely to break it. And even then there is a good possibility you can get it fixed for much less than $325 (maybe even free). Also, you will reach a point where asking for an early upgrade to a new phone becomes practical.

Frankly I think you would be better off putting $7/mo into a coffee can and if you survive 2 years without breaking your phone you'll have a coffee can with $168 in it.

IMHO

PS. That sucks about your phone. I hope you can get it fixed.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Wamsille,

Maybe I should contact AT&T and let them know I increased their insurance attachments so they should fix my phone for free.

That would be nice, eh? Oh, well AT&T I just gave you 10 insurance feature add-ons at $7.99 a piece. For 24 months that's....that's a Lumia for every member of my family. Yeah, and my wife, Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket.

BfnC

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, Ive been going almost 2 1/2 weeks with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G with a cracked screen. Luckily no dead spots and can still use the phone. What royally sucks for me is my Nokia order is in limbo and could be another 2 weeks till I get it

I'm assuming you are changing carriers or is there a Nokia working on Sprint that I don't know about?

and for OP, I've unfortunately found that insurance has been worth it for me - plus I've gotten some nice upgrades in the past for cheap with insurance when they ran out of stock on the broken phone :cool:

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??

it could be the point of impact on the screen when it fell and the slight angle it fell at. But damn that is truly sad.

doublesman3486

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...

Where do you live? If you live close to New york city , theres an official repair shop that does repairs for Nokia. I have been there many times over the years and they do a great job, might cost you a $100 bucks to replace the screen. I can give you their phone number if you want. They replaced the screen on my other N9 two months ago for that price. Hit me up on private message if you want the info.

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
If you bought using a CC, sometimes they carry a warranties like AmEx's purchase protection. Just a thought.
Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077