Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

I definantly will be getting insurance on the next go around. I was able to find 2 Lumia 810s NIB for $100 a piece (T-Mobile Employee's free phone so he makes 100 plus the credit on my advication). So I think I am going to return wife's 920 back to AT&T and switch service from Net10 to TMobiles unlimited.

I know the the 810 isn't as good as the 920 but i figure I would rather pay $200 for the two 810s and not $900 for the 920s I bought.

I will just keep my broken 920 until hopefully there is a unlock and then I will pay to get it fixed.

Wamsille,

Maybe I should contact AT&T and let them know I increased their insurance attachments so they should fix my phone for free.

Global Posts
    2,522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fhumphrey04 View Post
    I feel like the extra heft of this phone makes the screen that much more likely to shatter if it lands the wrong way. I'm curious to see how the iPhone 5 would fair in comparison if dropped directly on the screen due to it weighing 30% less.

But yeah, good call on the insurance. $7/month is worth it.
    Falling on the screen hardly breaks devices like these. It's usually falling on the corner, just look at the shatter pattern and look at drop tests, most screen shatters happen when device falls on it's corner.

That said, saw both iPhone 5 and SGS3 shatter their screens with a similar corner-landing, while all three devices are pretty much scratchless when landing on their screen.

L920 = $450
    Insurance = $7/mo = $84/yr = $168/2-yr
    Deductible = $125

$450 - $125 = $325 (amount saved if phone breaks)

Paying $168 up front to save $325 IF you break your phone is not good math unless you are very likely to break it. And even then there is a good possibility you can get it fixed for much less than $325 (maybe even free). Also, you will reach a point where asking for an early upgrade to a new phone becomes practical.

Frankly I think you would be better off putting $7/mo into a coffee can and if you survive 2 years without breaking your phone you'll have a coffee can with $168 in it.

IMHO

PS. That sucks about your phone. I hope you can get it fixed.
    Reflexx likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Trip View Post
    Wamsille,

Maybe I should contact AT&T and let them know I increased their insurance attachments so they should fix my phone for free.
    That would be nice, eh? Oh, well AT&T I just gave you 10 insurance feature add-ons at $7.99 a piece. For 24 months that's....that's a Lumia for every member of my family. Yeah, and my wife, Morgan Fairchild. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo925 View Post
    That sucks, Ive been going almost 2 1/2 weeks with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G with a cracked screen. Luckily no dead spots and can still use the phone. What royally sucks for me is my Nokia order is in limbo and could be another 2 weeks till I get it
    I'm assuming you are changing carriers or is there a Nokia working on Sprint that I don't know about?

and for OP, I've unfortunately found that insurance has been worth it for me - plus I've gotten some nice upgrades in the past for cheap with insurance when they ran out of stock on the broken phone
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??

it could be the point of impact on the screen when it fell and the slight angle it fell at. But damn that is truly sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Trip View Post
    Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...
    Where do you live? If you live close to New york city , theres an official repair shop that does repairs for Nokia. I have been there many times over the years and they do a great job, might cost you a $100 bucks to replace the screen. I can give you their phone number if you want. They replaced the screen on my other N9 two months ago for that price. Hit me up on private message if you want the info.

If you bought using a CC, sometimes they carry a warranties like AmEx's purchase protection. Just a thought.
    Good Luck
    😱😱😱😱😱

Nokia will refer you to Palco (Nokia Out of Warranty) Repair, $187 SHIPPED

Palco Repair Center
    Last edited by akar07; 11-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
    if you are in the Seattle Area, iGSM wireless in Bellevue does a fantastic job, for the screen on my HD7 was only $75 bucks.
    I had a friend who had a Note 1, and it was over $300 to fix it, she had insurance.

I am pretty sure you can get it fixed for cheaper than to buy a new one. Also maybe Nokia might beable to help you :)

Oh man that sucks so much :( I am surprised it broke like that considering drop tests did 6 feet with not 1 crack, must have been the worst angle possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ibbyj View Post
    I called and added insurance after seeing this.

Will pay for it for a few months.

Deductible is only 125.
    Deductable is $125, but Major Trip said that Nokia referred him to a place that can fix it for $177? That sounds like insurance really isn't worth it.
    If you have insurance,report it lost, pay $125, then get the old one fixed, sell it on eBay or keep as backup
    Sent from my lumia 920 using Board Express

I ended up going to T-Mobile with the 810 model. I am returning my wife's 920 back to AT&T and decided to keep mine until an unlock is released that will let me use it on T-Mobile. I figure by that time there should be more repair shops around that might fix it cheaper than $177. I am also going to call AM EX because it looks like there is a 90 day accidental protection guarantee. So hopefully they will just replace it.

On a side note, while I will miss the great photos the 920 took, I do prefer the display of the 810 compared to the 920. Even though the resolution is lower I really can't see a difference, and the OLED screen looks much better. I will try and take a pic tonight of both to let everyone see that the 920 looks a little more washed out than the 810. My wife actually prefers the feel and weight of the 810 too. (Looks like she needs to hit the gym more)

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    I am wondering if HTC is any better...

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Dude you have my deepest condolences. I'm definitely buying an otter box Friday!

Global Posts
    2,246 Global Posts
    *Darth Vader Voice* Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Anyone think it is possible a person from AT&T posted here about breaking their phone screen just so folks would call & add the protection coverage? If they didn't think about doing it they have now...hahaha

My wife dropped hers from around 4 feet and it shattered worse than this, the screen works but it feels like pieces of glass will stab you... shame, I don't understand how some phones survived the drop test in those videos, seems like Nokia may have pulled one on us and didn't include Gorilla Glass 2 on some of these, can you imagine?

They're all gorilla glass, it just takes the right pressure or an imperceptible defect in the glass to shatter it.

Gorilla Glass isn't unbreakable, it's just significantly less likely to break. Unfortunately less likely means it can still break on it's first drop.

Just today one of my coworkers dropped her Iphone 4s WITH a protective case about 2' onto her desk. Shattered screen.

I was pimping my red 920 without a case, but after my wife destroyed hers I'm not taking any chances, bought the red Speck case, but despite being a very nice case, it does make it kind of bulky and doesn't really protect the sides, just the top and bottom unlike with my iphone, on the speck for the iphone, the rubber protects all around, I may exchange it or just give it back and stick with a silicone case.

The Nokia Lumia 920 is getting report of glass breakage om Amy sites. I paid $700 for my unlocked phone, as I live in Koh Samui, Thailand and was wildly enthusiastic about the phone and showing it of to everyone. While showing a couple folk, while sitting on a patio chair in front of my Subway store, I dropped it, maybe 1 foot off the ground it hit on corner and when I turned it over was horrified to see the front screen completely shattered. When got it touch with local Nokia Care folks, none of whom speak English, they told my interpreter they already had several 920's coming in with broken lenses. Folk, mobile phones are dropped! It is the nature of the product that is carried everywhere with you and is going in and out of your pocket hundreds of times a day. for Nokia to have so many front screen breakages is a manufacturing defect, and certainly a class action suit should be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Noble View Post
    The Nokia Lumia 920 is getting report of glass breakage om Amy sites. I paid $700 for my unlocked phone, as I live in Koh Samui, Thailand and was wildly enthusiastic about the phone and showing it of to everyone. While showing a couple folk, while sitting on a patio chair in front of my Subway store, I dropped it, maybe 1 foot off the ground it hit on corner and when I turned it over was horrified to see the front screen completely shattered. When got it touch with local Nokia Care folks, none of whom speak English, they told my interpreter they already had several 920's coming in with broken lenses. Folk, mobile phones are dropped! It is the nature of the product that is carried everywhere with you and is going in and out of your pocket hundreds of times a day. for Nokia to have so many front screen breakages is a manufacturing defect, and certainly a class action suit should be considered.
    I am truly surprised to know that so many NL920 have broken screens when dropped. I thought NL920 are more durable than any smartphones out there! Well this is certainly disheartening!

Are you gonna sue Nokia? If you gonna sue for fragility, I would sue for battery!

You say you live in Koh Samui, then how come you have an ATT Nokia Lumia 920 phone? Do they have ATT in Thailand?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast