Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-11-15_07-34-21_719.jpg  

That sucks

what was the result of the torture test?

relax, it's only a phone.
    StevesBalls likes this.

Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    OUCH!!! Hope you have insurance. Sorry dude.. I feel ya..

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Trip View Post
    Getting out of car this morning and the phone slipped out of my hand onto the pavement...
    Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    That's a shame man, really is. What's it gonna set you back to get it repaired?

Man, I can't wait to get my gel case. It can't come out soon enough! Seeing these kind of pics worry me.
    Cingular (2001-2003) - Nokia 5190 > Nokia 3360
    Nextel (2003-2007) - i1000+ > i90c > i720 > i830 > i275 > i860 > i870
    AT&T (2007 to Present) - Treo 680 > iPhone 8GB > iPhone 3G 16GB > Moto Q9h Global >
    iPhone 3G 16GB > iPhone 3GS 16GB > HTC Inspire 4G > Samsung Focus > HTC HD7S >
    Nokia Lumia 900 > Nokia Lumia 920 > Nokia Lumia 1520

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Hurting my heart!

If you don't have insurance, call and add it today.. and drop it "tomorrow".
    -Chances are, I'm guessing.
    MDak280 likes this.

A friend has a similar issue with his 2 week old Galaxy S3, and the fee to repair it is horrendous.

I'd be interested to see if any phone could survive being dropped on its glass, as i've seen iphones, androids, WP's, all with similar issues when you are unlucky enough to drop it glass side down.

Maybe someone needs to study cats, and work out how they always fall on their feet, then apply those physics to mobiles

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Your car isn't some monster truck 20 feet off the ground is it? Surprised to see that since there are videos of the phone being dropped several times with minimal damage. They even beat the thing with a hammer and the screen survived.

Did you have insurance or anything??
    While the Lumia 920 is most certainly durable, but a hit of right power to the right (or well, wrong) place can break any device. Mobile phones are pretty much the weakest if they fall on the corner like this one. The glass shatters fairly easy.

Drop tests are so unscientific that they just about hold no value. One test your random iPhone 5 might look like it's indestructible and the next test shatter on the first hit simply cos the phone landed in a non-ideal way.

If the Lumia 920 fell actually glass down, chances are nothing wouldn't have happened. Looking at the picture, the damage came from landing on the lower right corner which is common source of shattering in all drop tests I've seen lately.
    Reflexx likes this.

No insurance, bought the phone outright on Friday. Then decided to cancel AT&T and switch to Net10. So I am really out of luck. So it looks like I have to spend another $450 (hopefully they wont make me get another account).

I drive a Honda Civic so I would say no more than 2 feet off of the ground. Never had a problem other than a light scratch on the body with dropping my Nokia 900 multiple times over the last 6 months. I've been really impressed with Nokia's build quality and support so I am really hoping that the phone just hit the right spot to make it shatter.

I wonder if putting an Invisible Sheild on the screen will reinforce the glass not to shatter if it lands the same way as before...

Global Posts
    2,515 Global Posts
    I wonder if putting an Invisible Sheild on the screen will reinforce the glass not to shatter if it lands the same way as before...
    Really doubt it. It might do a little on how far the shattering spreads, but I doubt it would outright stop it from happening.

Global Posts
    2,439 Global Posts
    No insurance, bought the phone outright on Friday. Then decided to cancel AT&T and switch to Net10. So I am really out of luck. So it looks like I have to spend another $450 (hopefully they wont make me get another account).

I drive a Honda Civic so I would say no more than 2 feet off of the ground. Never had a problem other than a light scratch on the body with dropping my Nokia 900 multiple times over the last 6 months. I've been really impressed with Nokia's build quality and support so I am really hoping that the phone just hit the right spot to make it shatter.

You might be able to sell it for parts on eBay or something. Even if you get 50 or 100 bucks out of it, that helps ease the pain a little. At least it's not 650 or 700 bucks at full price.

I would send it in for repair. Probably be less expensive than a new one. If you still have your old phone so you can make calls that is...

Nooooooo :(

Looking around 299 for repair, and since the phone is so new I wonder if companies even have parts

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Tweet Nokia or AT&T and ask about Corning Gorilla Glass II.

Maybe they'll go out of their way to be nice and send you a replacement.

Good publicity for them.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS

Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Dohh!!!!
    Nokia Lumia 1020 on T-Mobile

Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Damn... :(

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    That sucks, Ive been going almost 2 1/2 weeks with my Sprint Samsung Epic 4G with a cracked screen. Luckily no dead spots and can still use the phone. What royally sucks for me is my Nokia order is in limbo and could be another 2 weeks till I get it

Global Posts
    1,735 Global Posts
    Sue the car company I say...lol. I'm so sorry for you mate.

As someone suggested, tweet them Nokia and Windows Phone alike.

Tell them how it happened and that this is a crack in your trust, not just your phone. And they better do something ABOUT it.

Sent from my RaZr HD.

Damn sorry to hear. I've never dropped a phone in ten years and I travel and move around a lot :P

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Looks like my choice to use a case was a good one...and my condolences.

If it makes you feel any better, a couple of months ago I knocked a lamp into my professionally calibrated Samsung 59' D7000 plasma, which I dropped $1700 for plus $450 for the calibration. I had owned it for six months, so I feel your pain.

But, I replaced it with a 60' Panasonic ST50, which is also calibrated, which blows the Samsung out of the water. Every cloud has a silver lining, and all that stuff.

Ok- here's an idea. You should call AT&T and request to add insurance to your plan, they can do it after the fact if you tell them you accidently missed the option when placing your order. After seeing this thread I just got off the phone with them and it's a $6.99/month fee with only a $125 deductible. You could add it to your plan and wait a day or two before making a claim. :)

edit: my bad, I just read your other post. Sorry to hear that!
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I have a black matte Lumia 920 and sent your picture to my wife to say I was out in the parking lot and dropped my phone.

:lol:

After the mini heart attack that gave her she isn't talking to me. :blush:

Oops.
    Reflexx, 5tephen and Xsever like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fhumphrey04 View Post
    Ok- here's an idea. You should call AT&T and request to add insurance to your plan, they can do it after the fact if you tell them you accidently missed the option when placing your order. After seeing this thread I just got off the phone with them and it's a $6.99/month fee with only a $125 deductible. You could add it to your plan and wait a day or two before making a claim. :)

edit: my bad, I just read your other post. Sorry to hear that!
    So file a fraudulent claim?

To be fair, I could see an AT&T store rep telling you to do this under their breath. It's not the most honest way of resolving the issue but it's service after the sale that many stores fail to act upon when the customer comes back with an issue or has questions. Also, the rep gets credit for adding a feature to your account.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast