Lumia 920 USB mass storage

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
A request for help from all of those who have the Lumia 920.

Do you know or can you check if the Lumia 920 has USB mass storage mode, where I can connect it to my computer and transfer files.
I would use zune to transfer my songs etc, but it would be nice to have that mass storage mode and with 32 gb of space, i dont have to carry around a USB drive.

Can you confirm.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, when you connect to your PC by USB cable it shows up as an additional hard drive which you can explore and drag and drop files and folders into.

You have as default the following folder structure:

Documents
Music
Pictures
Ringtones
Videos

You can also create new folders if you wish.

I used drag and drop to transfer all my music as the 920 was not recognised by Zune :mad:

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when you connect to your PC by USB cable it shows up as an additional hard drive which you can explore and drag and drop files and folders into.

Documents
Music
Pictures
Ringtones
Videos

I used drag and drop to transfer all my music as the 920 was not recognised by Zune :mad:

So you mean we can just drag drop .mp4 (xbox supported file) to videos and we can start watching them?

RattleSnake506

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Documents
Music
Pictures
Ringtones
Videos

Wow that is great.. It would be awesome if it could that.

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
So you mean we can just drag drop .mp4 (xbox supported file) to videos and we can start watching them?

I've just tested this with an avi file on a windows 8 machine and on dropping the file into the video folder on my 920 I got a pop-up asking if I wanted the file converted before dropping. Windows 8 then converted the file into a wmv file which I could then play on my phone by going to music and videos. A brilliant feature!

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I've just tested this with an avi file on a windows 8 machine and on dropping the file into the video folder on my 920 I got a pop-up asking if I wanted the file converted before dropping. Windows 8 then converted the file into a wmv file which I could then play on my phone by going to music and videos. A brilliant feature!

how long is the movie file? How long did it convert? And how good is the quality?

rcasey

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can't get my 920 (just got it today) to show up as a mass storage device on my Mac running Mountain Lion.

What could I be missing or doing wrong here?

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I can't get my 920 (just got it today) to show up as a mass storage device on my Mac running Mountain Lion.

On a windows machine it simply picks it up when plugged in, no settings to change. Maybe this feature is just not compatible with a mac?

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site

It does not show up as a mass storage devoce in a Mac as it does on a PC, you need to use the Windows Phone App.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I can't get it to show up *at all* running mountain Lion on our Mac, even with the WP software installed. I have to boot into windows 8 using boot camp to do it.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I can't get it to show up *at all* running mountain Lion on our Mac, even with the WP software installed. I have to boot into windows 8 using boot camp to do it.
I had to plug/unplug mine a few times initially for the WP app to recognize it but since then it has been recognizing it consistently (keeping my fingers crossed)

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I had to plug/unplug mine a few times initially for the WP app to recognize it but since then it has been recognizing it consistently (keeping my fingers crossed)

That's good. Not sure what would keep it from being recognized straight away. It charges just fine when plugged into the Mac. I wanted drag to drop, and have Windows 8 bootcamped, so no biggie. I would be using Windows 8 more except there is a drivers issue between the bluetooth keyboard when windows 8 goes to sleep (and we leave our computer on all the time). From what I read, this fix has to come from Apple via bootcamp. I have had no issues on our media center using a bluetooth keyboard/trackpad, but all we are running on that is a clean W8 install, no voodoo magic (bootcamp).

rcasey

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It does not show up as a mass storage devoce in a Mac as it does on a PC, you need to use the Windows Phone App.

Wow.. that's incredibly lame. Is there really no way around this while staying natively in OSX?

The app is an absolute turd of a thing. It keeps crashing after about 10 seconds for me.

-- edit --

Ok so I did a hard reset of my phone. The app isn't crashing on my Mac anymore. It's just slow as heck to copy music, like 1 hour for 400mb. That's just not good enough for a media device.

Last edited:

rcasey

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Double post because jesus christ this software is so bad I'm seriously considering returning my one day old 920.

Any time I have an issue with a file not synching correctly (I don't even know why that happens) the software will not run. It just crashes after about 5 seconds and I have to go to a Windows computer to try manually remove the music from my phone. It's not even possible to tell which file is causing the crash so I've ended up wiping my device twice to clear errors.

Seriously, this software is a joke. It's completely overshadowed what should have been a good day 1 user experience with a great phone and has almost turned it into a return to seller situation.

My love affair with Lumia has gotten off to a very bad start.

Lenas

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
OS X not seeing the Lumia as a storage device probably has something to do with it (likely) being formatted as NTFS, which Apple doesn't use.

Digital Moe

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone find the mass storage mode to be incredibly slow on the Lumia 920? My PC seems to take a long times (not minutes) to display the content of a folder or to delete large numbers of files.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone find the mass storage mode to be incredibly slow on the Lumia 920? My PC seems to take a long times (not minutes) to display the content of a folder or to delete large numbers of files.

Yes, it took about 5 minutes to delete a 300 meg podcast today, no idea what it was doing, but everything after that went fast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786