Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sabotagebx

At work I have wifi, but it requires me to login. Anytime I lock the phone it seems to turn off the wifi radio and then when I go to use it again I have to reconnect/login to the network.

My iOS devices seem to maintain the connection for a while after locking. I only have to reconnect a few times throughout the day.

I figure the behavior is to save battery, but I'd rather give up some battery life than have to reconnect every time I use my phone. Is there a setting somewhere so I can change this?

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKinkajou View Post
    At work I have wifi, but it requires me to login. Anytime I lock the phone it seems to turn off the wifi radio and then when I go to use it again I have to reconnect/login to the network.

My iOS devices seem to maintain the connection for a while after locking. I only have to reconnect a few times throughout the day.

I figure the behavior is to save battery, but I'd rather give up some battery life than have to reconnect every time I use my phone. Is there a setting somewhere so I can change this?
    Is it doing the same at home Wi-Fi?

Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKinkajou View Post

WP8 doesn't keep an active WiFi connection. If you search around the forum you can find some workarounds such as using an app that maintains a WiFi connection.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone

Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    Has anyone had a wi-fi issue where once you wake up the phone, it still fails to connect to wi-fi? This is happening with mine occasionally.. I have to go to Settings->Wi-Fi for the connection to re-establish (note that it does NOT require me to re-enter the password; I just have to go to wi-fi network list for it to re-connect). Barring that, it acts as if I were outside of wi-fi range.

Kinkajou, try an app from the marketplace called Keep Alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenas View Post
    I did a double take there. The description is about CPR. Say what?!

So does this do a number on the battery?

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    well there is a update coming very soon. to change that.
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

The description is probably a little ... dishonest... It started out as a homebrew app by Windows Phone Hacker and I'm not sure if it's fully compliant with WP application rules.

No idea how much battery it uses, I don't really have a need for it.
    Thanked by:
    The description is probably a little ... dishonest... It started out as a homebrew app by Windows Phone Hacker and I'm not sure if it's fully compliant with WP application rules.

No idea how much battery it uses, I don't really have a need for it.
    Thanks for the tip anyway. I am going to give it a run for its money. :)

Quote Originally Posted by 12Danny123 View Post
    well there is a update coming very soon. to change that.
    Is there a source to this being "very soon". Last I heard, it was just something in the works and we should all just be patient.
    Last edited by Chris Parsons; 11-20-2012 at 11:16 AM.

I think we have been patient enough with everything surrounding this phone
    PhilipArgy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sabotagebx View Post
    I agree, granted this isn't specific to this phone. I was referring to an article I read here on WPC, although I cannot for the life of me find it. It would have been within the last few weeks though. Basically Miscrosoft admitted that the wifi thing was to conserve battery, but that many people were asking for a change, but gave no ETA. They just literally said "be patient".

Guess I will have to keep turning off data when I come home. In the meantime, I will tell ATT to be patient with my bill as I dont pay them for over charges for internet usage, but its cool because it's coming...eventually
    Guess I will have to keep turning off data when I come home. In the meantime, I will tell ATT to be patient with my bill as I dont pay them for over charges for internet usage, but its cool because it's coming...eventually
    Just pop on battery saver. It's basically WP8 "DND" except that calls and texts come through. FWIW... this isn't AT&T's fault...

battery saver is on and it still turns my wifi off and uses lte in the background. as a company who has sole rights to this phone currently this is their problem as well. there are going to be a lot of upset people when they go over their data limits at the end of the month and they have no clue why. Im sure some sales rep who has no clue will blame them because its their fault because of LTE and att will still bill them, they tried that on me already today. Their sales associate for a good part have no clue about wp8 and were not able to show me anything about the phone when purchasing it.

WiFi always takes priority over LTE for me.

It's literally been on the market and available to the general public for less than a week. I'm honestly surprised and happy at how well it works, all things considered. If you were after a mature, baked solution with all of the early-adopter bugs ironed out, you probably should have gone with an iToy or Android ;)

there are bugs...then there is microsoft just ignoring things...then there is att which is just horrible on every level, not that all wireless providers arent terrible in their own ways. the phone itself is pure sex and very well built.

there are bugs...then there is microsoft just ignoring things...then there is att which is just horrible on every level, not that all wireless providers arent terrible in their own ways. the phone itself is pure sex and very well built.
    I'll take the acknowledgement of the bug and a promise of a fix in a somewhat timely manner over Apple's "Screw you, that's the way we meant it to be, so that's just the way you are going to use it" mentality any day. We're not just early adopters, we're pretty much zero-day adopters, so yeah, patience is going to be key to enjoying this phone.
    battery saver is on and it still turns my wifi off and uses lte in the background.
    But it shouldn't be pulling updates with battery saver, hence you aren't ACTUALLY using data.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Google search the iheartradio wifi trick. Ideal solution.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS
    Sadly this doesn't seem to work. After a few minutes of being locked, waking the phone shows me reconnecting to wifi. Bummer.

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    Sadly this doesn't seem to work. After a few minutes of being locked, waking the phone shows me reconnecting to wifi. Bummer.
    Google search the iheartradio wifi solution. It works perfectly.
    Nokia Lumia 920 | Rogers Wireless Canada
    HP Touchpad 32GB CM 9 ICS