Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Hello,

out with the old and in with the new i suppose, I just thought i would post my findings and see what everyone thought. My One X is using Sense 4.5 camera mod, and I have always been very pleased wit the photos it had. Below are 5 pictures of the same stuff. All auto focus, all 4:3 ratio with no touching up of the photo other than photo-buckets automatic re-sizing.

First and foremost, this isn't a troll post, just merely sharing my findings:

So, which do you think are the Lumia, and which are the One X?

Global Posts
    298 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robstunner View Post
    Hello,

out with the old and in with the new i suppose, I just thought i would post my findings and see what everyone thought. My One X is using Sense 4.5 camera mod, and I have always been very pleased wit the photos it had. Below are 5 pictures of the same stuff. All auto focus, all 4:3 ratio with no touching up of the photo other than photo-buckets automatic re-sizing.

First and foremost, this isn't a troll post, just merely sharing my findings:

Click to view quoted image

So, which do you think are the Lumia, and which are the One X?
    the clearer ones (2nd ones) as it has the slight yellow tint.

Am I correct?.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    The second ones are more yellow, or the first ones?
    My guess, in order from top to bottom; the HTC is the Top image in the: 1st, 2nd, 4th, and the HTC is the bottom image in the 3rd and 5th(last) comparisons.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    :) Ill wait for a few more comments
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The first one is Foldgers. I think the third from the bottom is Maxwell House.

I have an idea, as I owned both the HTC One X and now I own the Lumia 920. This is a very subjective test though.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    All the first one's are HTC

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    Banned

Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    The tell in the first pair is the muted paint color on the wall (photo # 2).

The bottom of each group would be my guess for the 920. Regardless, I think the bottom images look best. Much better dynamic range and overall exposure. Take a look at the bright spots and you can see which ever camera is taking the images on the bottom handles highlights so much better. There's just so much more detail there. It's best illustrated in the skyline of the 4th group.

L920 on the bottom. #1 and #2 you can see the Lumia is just ever so slightly softer with more muted colors. The HTC is a bit more saturated. The colors for the Lumia also appear a bit more realistic.

#3 the HTC didn't or wasn't able to focus correctly on the bottle.

#4 Again just slightly softer but with more muted coloring.

#5 would be pretty hard to tell but the Lumia is just a little brighter throughout the photo.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    I think I actually prefer the sharper images of the One X vs the color correction of the Lumia :-/
    Same here, the HTCs also look nicer to my eye. What threw me off was the glass cleaner and remote pics because of how sharp they were. What i forgot is that the lumia is pretty good in macro. The softness of daylight photos on the lumia is a real bummer for me esp. since the camera had been hyped so much. I'm convinced that its all heavy noise reduction/processing in order to make the night shots so spectacular. Its a shame you just can't turn off NR on it or that we can't access the raw file.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Agreed, doesnt help when you order the phone online for mail delivery and its a 14 day return policy.

Should see the original photos ... did you use 16:9 or 4:3 setting for Lumia 920 photos ?

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaripi View Post
    Should see the original photos ... did you use 16:9 or 4:3 setting for Lumia 920 photos ?
    read the OP. 4:3 on all photos, both devices.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    two more:

It seems like any time you zoom in on a photo, you can easily tell that its much more grainy.

HTC:

Nokia:

Global Posts
    2,280 Global Posts
    awww. you're dog's got the cute doggy eyes. My puppy does that all the time. I can't resist it :-).

on topic: those are good pics from Nokia. good job Nokia.....I mean your phone of course
    - Xbox Account: SocialDanny123 Twitter: @SuDanny123

Lived in LA USA now moved to Auckland New Zealand :-)

Other devices:
    Nexus 5
    IPhone 5C
    Blackberry Z10

[IMG][/IMG]

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    robstunner, go into a wooded area when the sun is out and take pics of the trees. I have found the One X to bleed light like crazy. I don't know what the issue is, but in broad daylight the light leaks and ends up looking like a hazy filter on the picture.

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
    robstunner, go into a wooded area when the sun is out and take pics of the trees. I have found the One X to bleed light like crazy. I don't know what the issue is, but in broad daylight the light leaks and ends up looking like a hazy filter on the picture.
    Hmm, ill try. I do know from past experiences that the one x over saturates colors in the photos.

Hi,
    Were the Lumia pictures taken before or after the lumia-firmware update?
    This should remove the "softness" that so many people complain about.
    If the pictures were taken before it would be interesting to see how they come out after the upgrade.
    Rgrds,
    Leo

Hi,
    Were the Lumia pictures taken before or after the firmware upgrade that supposes to remove the "softness" in day light pictures?
    If before it would be interesting to see how they come out after the upgrade.
    I'm hesitating between Htc one x plus and the Lumia 920. Photo quality is decisive for me.
    Rgrds,
    Leo

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    The HTC One X is still sharper even after the update. I posted 2 shots below which illustrate both phones in Auto mode. The Lumia shot is post-update. It is a well lit nightstand and the difference in detail is fairly obvious. However, the One X is still noisier. The One X is always noisier/grainier and that is really the most noticeable flaw of that camera...especially when shooting people. It is also terrible in low light. The Lumia's main flaw IMO is that it has **** poor automatic white balance. You are constantly getting greenish shots like the one below. To compensate I will often select Fluorescent in the white balance menu to get a warmer shot.

The One X's forte is shooting stationary objects in good lighting. I have had major difficulty with the One X focusing on a relatively close moving object, such as a child. It is hard to get a good lock, and using the burst mode degrades the quality considerably. Taking single shots I end up with a few excellent photos mixed in with a bunch of blurry, unfocused shots. The Lumia 920 focus is excellent by comparison. Seriously, I never have a focus problem.

In low light the difference is magnified due to the lack of OIS on the One X. Minor hand motions blur the shot so you have to be absolutely still to get a good one. OIS on the Lumia eliminates this problem almost every time. If the object is moving you will still have motion blur on either phone.

Another advantage to the Lumia is just the mechanical advantage of having the shutter button. I can focus on the subject then wait for the shot I want, then fully depress the key to take the shot quickly. Or you have the option to single press to focus and take the shot. The One X you have to tap to focus, then tap another icon to take the shot. It is almost impossible to use effectively with one hand, especially without introducing hand shake blur.

Note: above I mentioned the hazy/light bleeding appearance of the HTC One X outside. Well, afterward I noticed that had been shooting with a oily lens. I have found since that the One X is EXTREMELY sensitive to any sort of smudges or oils on the lens. It must be perfectly clean. The Lumia is a bit more forgiving in this regard.

nokia-lumia-920.jpghtc-one-x.jpg
    Last edited by Pete C; 01-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.
    Thanked by:

Thanks for this elaborate reply (and white balance tip) Pete.
    I've decided to go for the Lumia.
    Rgrds,
    Leo

Guys I already explained this before. We need the good lens to take good picture. Nokia only talks about the floating len for low light and video. The iphone has 5 layers len which can take brighter shaper picture, same for htc or samsung galaxy s3. The lumia even does apply denoise proccessing to make the lowlight picture look awesome, but it kills the details for other cases. So dont give too much hope for the new firmware up unless it can change the hardware. Indeed lumia 920 still is the BEST ALL ROUNDED CAMERA PHONE

In that last example, I vastly prefer the white balance on the 920. With that said, I find a lot of the shots posted from the Lumia to be too high in contrast and off in white balance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast