Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Davidkoh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    135 Posts
    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ammarmalik2011 View Post
    Both your 4S and 5 are faulty if they do that. Or your router is faulty. iOS by design keeps WiFi connected in standby and so does Android
    No, the iPhones are supposed to turn off wifi when locked and IDLE (the same way WP does). Guess why? Because it conserves battery.
  2. martan1981#WN's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #27  
    This partially true. I phone disconnects wifi when your mobile data are enabled. But if you disable them, then wifi stays on even after you lock your screen. Since ios 5.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  3. ExcelNinjar's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1 Posts
    #28  
    The only real point I see he is #4. Whilst it appears a software update will fix the issue, there's a very good & FREE app on wp 7.5, Keep Alive http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...5-ef1a9edd085f. It looks as if you're installing a First-Aid app when you find it, but it's actually an app for maintaining your WiFi connection by periodically pinging a server - I've used it on my Lumia 800 for the last few months and it's been really useful. Guess it'll work on WP8 as well?

    Personally, whilst I like to maintain a constant WiFi connection, I'd give that up for a WP8 phone - Can't afford to go and buy one and have too long left on my contract (another year), so eagerly awaiting WP7.8 in the meantime.
  4. socialcarpet's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    1,893 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post

    anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?
    Not frustrated enough to go to iOS and certainly not to Blackberry, no.

    ---------- Post Merged at 08:59 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post

    anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?
    Not frustrated enough to go to iOS and certainly not to Blackberry, no.
  5. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oridus View Post
    My iPhone also disconnects WiFi when locked.... Thought that was by design...
    It shouldn't. I have had my iPhone without a SIM still getting push notifications and all it is connected with is the wifi.
  6. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
    2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
    3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
    4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen
    1. While the feature would be nice, I have felt it to be less of a problem. My iPhone is quirky with rotation. It seems to decide it is in landscape sometimes when I set it on the table. This hasn't happened to me yet with the Lumia.

    2. Are you just annoyed by the haptic feedback? I guess this is a preference thing. It didn't bother me. But to each his own.

    3. This is an AT&T thing. Last I checked, iPhone didn't allow this (on AT&T) either. It is what it is, but it certainly isn't a windows phone fault. If you REALLY want to turn it off, there is a tutorial on the boards here someplace.

    4. While this was by design, I guess it sort of is frustrating, although the only time I find myself caring is when I am using my phone as an XBMC server and it takes a couple seconds for it to connect after being unlocked. Otherwise, if you are streaming music while on wifi and you lock the screen, wifi stays engaged. Anyway, MS is aware that people don't like it and there will be a software fix. When? I am not sure.
  7. rdifiori's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    302 Global Posts
    #32  
    "4." is a problem for quite a few people and has been the topic of countless WP threads for some time. It's not a problem for everyone, but for enough for MS to change it. The reason I don't like wifi disconnecting under the lock screen is that I don't get email or email notifications. For me, that's a big problem.
  8. Dave Blake's Avatar
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

    Posts
    5,660 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,163 Global Posts
    #33  
    Now that's better all cleaned up lets keep it that way. Some things are just not for some people. If you want to play pick 4 and move on that would be real easy on any platform. We also have an app to keep WIFI alive guess what its called "Active WIFI" its in the Store. Should we need an app for this not really it would be nice if they would just fix it from what I know they will soon.
  9. TrentTech's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    It shouldn't. I have had my iPhone without a SIM still getting push notifications and all it is connected with is the wifi.
    iOS devices do disconnect from the network when locked & idle, however it does seem to periodically wake the wifi up in order check for notifications. It often doesn't seem like they disconnect at all, however, due to the speed at which they re-establish the connection. My iPad (wifi only) certainly disconnects from the wifi when idle.
  10. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentTech View Post
    iOS devices do disconnect from the network when locked & idle, however it does seem to periodically wake the wifi up in order check for notifications. It often doesn't seem like they disconnect at all, however, due to the speed at which they re-establish the connection. My iPad (wifi only) certainly disconnects from the wifi when idle.
    If this is the case, it is reconnecting rapidly. My iphone is constantly buzzing when I get a new email in. Often times it comes through faster than it does on my L920, which is currently my daily driver. Also, my iphone is locked, and logging into the router through my pc shows that it is still connected (just checked). So again, if it is disconnecting, it is reconnecting quite frequently, which baffles me. If the point is to conserve battery, I wouldn't expect it to disconnect and reconnect as often as it seems to be... I can't speak for iPad or any non cellular Apple device as I don't own any of those.
  11. Drazyw's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by erzhik View Post
    I've never seen an LTE phone that gives you ability to switch between LTE and 3G.
    Most all Androids have this option. At least all that I've seen.
  12. PhilR8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    216 Posts
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Drazyw View Post
    Most all Androids have this option. At least all that I've seen.
    Yep. My fiancee's Evo 4G LTE on Sprint has this option in the settings. Very easy to do.
  13. chrgeorgeson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    100 Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

    1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
    2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
    3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
    4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

    other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

    REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
    maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

    anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

    LOL talk about first world problems!
  14. WinFan1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    #39  
    those points are not that serious lol idk i mean if you feel that way do what you gotta do.
  15. n3rfh3rd3r's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    544 Posts
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    #40  
    The Lumia 920 is designed to be used on 4G LTE, however it can use HSPA+, 3G, Edge, Wi-FI...

    What I don't understand is why people want buy a Ferrari and only drive it a quarter of a mile before it gets put back in the garage until next summer. I get the gas is expensive but why did you buy it in the first place? When I bought an Xbox 360 for the first time I didn't have a way to get my high-speed internet connection on it. (Long story) I was missing out on some of the stronger selling points of the device. But I digress.

    Should you be able to use your Wi-Fi when and where you want to? Sure. However, do the research before you buy the phone, you won't get burned. Make a list of pros and cons, including money you've invested into the current device you have and whatever apps you bought that you won't be able to use on the next device. I spent a lot of money on Android apps, mostly games but a few productivity apps that I can honestly say were quite helpful. Most of that functionality has been replaced with built-in apps on the Windows Phone 8 software. I ditched Evernote for OneNote and have not looked back. Native Office and Skydrive backup is pretty sweet, too. Does my phone have some quirks? Yes. I think a lot of phones have enough minor annoyances that they could make potential buyers hold off for a firmware update or another device completely.

    I'm not a Windows Phone / Microsoft / Nokia loyalist. I bashed Windows Phone for the longest time. But, things change when you actually try it. Windows Phone 7 brought me to buying Windows 8 for my desktop, and eventually adding a line to get the Lumia 920. I went from a Android / Ubuntu set up to all Windows. The uniformity and convenience is wonderful. I have gained far more than I have lost.
  16. SimplyMorbo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by lordofthereef View Post
    If this is the case, it is reconnecting rapidly. My iphone is constantly buzzing when I get a new email in. Often times it comes through faster than it does on my L920, which is currently my daily driver. Also, my iphone is locked, and logging into the router through my pc shows that it is still connected (just checked). So again, if it is disconnecting, it is reconnecting quite frequently, which baffles me. If the point is to conserve battery, I wouldn't expect it to disconnect and reconnect as often as it seems to be... I can't speak for iPad or any non cellular Apple device as I don't own any of those.
    I also have an iPhone (4S) and it definitely disconnects from Wifi when idle. I can see it reconnecting to Wifi (very quickly) every time I switch on the screen again. AFAIK iPhones do disconnect from Wifi in standby if they have a decent mobile network connection that they can switch to. Without a SIM card there is no mobile connection so the iPhone stays connected to Wifi. It also seems to stay connected if the mobile network signal is rather weak and also if it is connected to the charger, at least I think so based on my experience with my own device. Unfortunately Apple has never documented the exact behavior anywhere.
  17. jonesychris's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    #42  
    3) I haven't had a phone that could do that. True i was locked in iOS for a while. But recently i had a Iphone5 and GSIII on AT&T. Neither phone would let you get off LTE and onto 4g/3g without rooting/jailbreaking.
    The others are just personal preferences, sounds like you didn't research phone much before you bought it or thought they wouldn't bother you much. I read all of those things before I bought mine.
  18. vizagdude's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    168 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    #43  
    Your reasons to leave WP8 is pretty odd.
  19. drelewis's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    21 Posts
    #44  
    So when apple came out with the iphone 4 and no one could make calls due to the antenna being all messed up which quite frankly is one of the most basic functions of a cell phone to actually make calls did we hear people saying THATS IT I AM SICK OF THIS I AM GOING BACK TO ....... no people just got on with it, and realized that as an early adopter to any platform you will see issues. **** even if I buy a PC or Xbox 360 game we have a patch just about ready for the first week. Yet you come here to list all the reason why you want to leave and ask other to convince you otherwise. Go to BB btw the platform goes down too remember in the UK it was DAYS without email or BBM. Please go and threaten them that you want to leave when it all goes tits up. Otherwise invest in a platform that you like and support it, if that's not wp then that's just fine just don't tell us why you are leaving because its rather stupid.
  20. fierywater's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutos UK View Post
    iphones do turn off wifi when the screen is locked. It's normal. Can't say for Android.
    Android keeps it on if you tell it to. It's an option, like nearly everything else on Android. That said, it's actually more battery-efficient if you're in an area with WiFi than Android's way of handling turning it on and off.

    And to the ugly vibration reason in the OP: seriously?
  21. henilp89's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

    1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
    2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
    3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
    4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

    other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

    REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
    maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

    anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?
    i have to agree with you.. it does bother me that it doesnt have a screen lock but i just have to live with it
    for 2nd.. im still waiting for my phone but i do have lumia 900 n it has a very ugly vibration.. i hate it
    3rd this doesnt really bother me
    4th.. CMON MSFT ARE yOU F* KIDDING ME! known issue? lol its a JOKE! they probably consider this as a feature! this happened in WP7.. 7.5 n now in 8? so its been know for how long.. since they launched WP7 n never tried to fix it! gotta be kidding me MSFT!

    i still luv this phone cuz i have a 2GB plan n i use 1.7 on average so :) its a good OS.. phone is awesome.. keep it
  22. ammarmalik2011's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    710 Posts
    Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidkoh View Post
    No, the iPhones are supposed to turn off wifi when locked and IDLE (the same way WP does). Guess why? Because it conserves battery.
    No they're not. And when I go to sleep at night with 100% battery, wake up 8 hours later, the battery is at ~94%. That't 6% in 8 hours. With WIFI ON in standby. This conserve battery theory is just Microsoft misleading you people.
  23. chickibummi's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesychris View Post
    3) I haven't had a phone that could do that. True i was locked in iOS for a while. But recently i had a Iphone5 and GSIII on AT&T. Neither phone would let you get off LTE and onto 4g/3g without rooting/jailbreaking.
    The others are just personal preferences, sounds like you didn't research phone much before you bought it or thought they wouldn't bother you much. I read all of those things before I bought mine.
    Sorry but you're wrong. I have an S3 and it switches easily and I'm not rooted.

    Settings > more settings > mobile network > network mode > then pick what you want. Super easy
  24. inteller's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    2,531 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,535 Global Posts
    #49  
    Not going to read all the diatribes, but anyone fed up with their 920 or whatever, I'll buy it.
  25. hasasimo's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,471 Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by iJuan View Post
    I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

    1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
    2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
    3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
    4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

    other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

    REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
    maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

    anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?
    You say that as if all else is equal between the two operating systems. What about the gargantuan step forward WP provides you with everything else in comparison to Blackberry? WP makes Blackberry devices look like something out of the stone ages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions