Why I'm leaving WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

iJuan

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

1. NO ROTATION LOCK (are you kidding Nokia/Microsoft)?!?!??!
2. Ugly vibration when I touch the back, home and search
3. Can't toggle between 3G/LTE
4. WiFi disconnects when I lock the screen

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

REALLY LOVE THE 920 but those little things do get annoying to me
maybe I'll get a windows phone 9

anyone else frustrated by my 3 points?

cyanwinters

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If #4 is universally true across all 920s that will be ridiculously frustrating. I have a WiFi connection all day every day, which is pretty sweet for both battery and data usage, and having to constantly reconnect every time I unlock the phone would be a pain as well as making no sense.

Michael Young2

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I use BlackBerry, iOS and just recently WP8 on the Lumia 920. I went in to my local at&t on Friday November 9, and just bought the 920 off contract because I was excited for WP8 and all the great stuff I heard about it. Well, the phone is great but some things I don't like:

other than that, idk, phone is great and all, but I think I'm gonna return this and go back to my iPhone and wait for BlackBerry 10

1. Rotation lock? On a phone? It's not really that bad is it?
2. I find the vibrations quite nice :p maybe its your handset?
3. There is an option to select the highest maximum speed to use in settings, so you can toggle between 3G and 4G.
4. This is a known issue that Joe Belfiore has said will be patched soon.

I think going for BlackBerry 10 would be a big mistake!

sleewok

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If #4 is universally true across all 920s that will be ridiculously frustrating. I have a WiFi connection all day every day, which is pretty sweet for both battery and data usage, and having to constantly reconnect every time I unlock the phone would be a pain as well as making no sense.

I actually LOVE #4. I think the Wifi should disable when you lock the screen. I disable mobile data when I am on wifi. So your point doesn't really apply for me.

Besides, I'm at the office during the day, and I don't need constant notifications from my phone. If I'm out of the office, I enable mobile data.

I can see how you might be upset if you don't have a data plan.

Darus214

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Not sure what OP is talking about...I connect once and never have to sign in again, just like any other device with wifi.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't have 2 and 4 with my phone and am not bothered by 1 and 3 so I'm still loving mine... :D

cyanwinters

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually LOVE #4. I think the Wifi should disable when you lock the screen. I disable mobile data when I am on wifi. So your point doesn't really apply for me.

Besides, I'm at the office during the day, and I don't need constant notifications from my phone. If I'm out of the office, I enable mobile data.

I can see how you might be upset if you don't have a data plan.

This means that my phone will constantly be eating at my data plan limits instead of simply using wifi for everything when I have it locked. Since it spends most of its time locked, this is pretty bad news.

I work and live in environments with WiFi, so currently I can keep my data usage super low, but if my phone is going to be synced to email, facebook, twitter, ect and throwing toasts and such at me while on 3G, it's going to kill my data usage.

Plus it's proven fact that keeping WiFi on and connected uses less power than keeping 3G on..

Oridus

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site

My iPhone also disconnects WiFi when locked.... Thought that was by design...

Sent using Board Express on my Yellow Nokia Lumia 920.

wubba

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
How are people saying that their wifi doesn't disconnect when the screen locks?

I thought this happened on all windows phones?

Balkan Eddy

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't know what OP is talking about, but nr. 4 is the exact thing on all the phones.

Even iPhones i have 4s and 5 here and they both disconnect WiFi when you lock the screen so i dont see how is that a problem on Lumia.
unless you Jailbreak your iPhone and there is a hack for that but there is none on i5 so...

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I thought WIFI disconnect was a smart idea, hate that they may patch that. The whole point was that when you lock the phone it disconnects you from the WIFI and then once you unlock it you go back to the WIFI settings and reconnect, no reentering information. The problem was that many people would lock their phone, forget that they was on WIFI and it drain the battery searching for the WIFI.

akar33

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

1. Rotation lock can be annoying at times and I agree that it should be included in the OS. However, if you MUST have rotation lock, there is a homebrew app available from XDA.

2. Device specific issue. Not widespread and prevalent.

3. Unnecessary. Why would you want to do that? Just use the highest available speed.

4. That's not a bug but by-design. Although it is understandable why it's an issue for some. Anyways, a fix should be coming sometimes in the future. In the meanwhile, use any online radio app, play and then pause music, press the start button. This trick keeps your WiFi connected.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
How are people saying that their wifi doesn't disconnect when the screen locks?

I thought this happened on all windows phones?

If the WiFi is not actively being used by something (download or whatever) then it will disco when locked then wake up again when you wake the phone up. If something is actively going on like downloading updates for example and the screen locks, it will stay on until that job is done.

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The Rogers 920 is such a phone. But for whatever reason the "highest connection speed" option is disabled on the AT&T variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750