3 Problems: no mail client, error code when playing m4a, Lackluster web browser. HELP?!?!

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Good, good :)

I suspect all the issues with transferring music will be sorted in time. Some will wait for the fix and some won't. They should have got that right as it is important to lots of people.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
1. I had the same problem with mail until I asked here. At the very least, it isn't exactly intuitive. I thought the feature was completely lacking. Now that I have it linked, I find there are actually fewer steps in looking at each email address than there are with iOS.

2. This is a big deal. Luckily I could care less about my library. For now I am using a third party google music option. Once Xbox Music gets the iTunes match equivalent, which should be soon, I will migrate to that (assuming it is priced competitively, free i better lol).

3. I have no qualms with IE. In fact I find it to be wonderful and fast. It works much like most modern desktop browsers in that your address bar is your search bar. Not sure why Apple is still stuck in the stoneage in those regards. The bookmarks tab is now called favorites, but there seems to be no editing of folders and such. Not a huge deal for me since I keep different bookmarks on my handhelds than I do on the desktop, and I am not the bookmarks packrat that I know some are. Still, I can see why people want the functionality.

Just about the only thing I miss is opening tabs on the desktop and seeing them on the phone, or vice versa. That level of syncing is actually pretty cool. Again, not something I used terribly often, but it is a nice feature to have.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
yes, as of now the music problem is my biggest problem. I'm not gonna convert all of my music files. I want the quality to be lossless.

may i ask what third party app you are using to get the music to your phone? let me know. thanks lord!

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
may i ask what third party app you are using to get the music to your phone? let me know. thanks lord!
It's called gooroovster. It's not flawless, but it is the best Google voice client I have found on the platform. It's about as good as gmusic was on iOS when it first started out.

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
it's too much of a hassle. i don't want to down convert them. worst case i'll convert them to wma lossless but it's a hassle. I have a lot of songs.

Lenas

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I find the browser much more usable if you go into the settings and change the address bar button to the tabs or favorites button, depending on preference.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
it's too much of a hassle. i don't want to down convert them. worst case i'll convert them to wma lossless but it's a hassle. I have a lot of songs.
My recommendation: Get it started and go to bed. Will likely be done by morning, unless you really do have just a ridiculous number of songs.

Pete C

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
yea, but i don't like how it searches apps and all that stuff too. i just want a regular google search. maybe it's asking to much? i dunno, i guess i'm just used to iphone so i'm a bit spoiled perhaps lol. the browser is the least of my concerns though. mail client is #1 and then the music stuff is #2

thanks man, i'll give it a shot.

Hmm...I thought it was impossible to be spoiled by something inferior. Bing search on WP7/8 blows away iPhone or Android's search capabilities in how it integrates the phone's functions. It's so much better in fact that it is one of the main reasons I prefer WP over its competitors. This is one that has me scratching my head.

Last edited by a moderator:

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh - they are lossless .m4a files? So they are ALA rather than AAC encoded?

yes, exactly.

I find the browser much more usable if you go into the settings and change the address bar button to the tabs or favorites button, depending on preference.

gonna try this out. thanks!

My recommendation: Get it started and go to bed. Will likely be done by morning, unless you really do have just a ridiculous number of songs.

the only problem with that is that I have to go in and reorganize everything. create new folders etc. it's just going to be a pain.

Hmm...I thought it was impossible to be spoiled by something inferior. Bing search on WP7/8 blows away iPhone or Android's search capabilities in how it integrates the phone's functions. It's so much better in fact that it is one of the main reasons I prefer WP over its competitors. This is one that has me scratching my head.

haha, ok ok. I get it, i'll try and adapt.

mister2d

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

Ahhh - they are lossless .m4a files? So they are ALA rather than AAC encoded?

I'm just noticing this myself. molokoplus, did you rip your music as lossless files into iTunes? ALAC will not work with WP8. If this is the case, then you will have to get those files transcoded into a Windows lossless format.

lordofthereef

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I am obviously missing something. Bing search is supposed to find apps and the like?

molokoplus

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm just noticing this myself. molokoplus, did you rip your music as lossless files into iTunes? ALAC will not work with WP8. If this is the case, then you will have to get those files transcoded into a Windows lossless format.

unfortunately yes :blush: looks like i'm in for a loooooong day hahaha. i think that this point re ripping my albums may be a faster way.

If they are ALA then I reckon this is the only route.

dang.

markfive

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
unfortunately yes :blush: looks like i'm in for a loooooong day hahaha. i think that this point re ripping my albums may be a faster way.
dang.
Plenty of utilities for transcoding - dbpoweramp and the right codecs will do a good job. Got to be quicker than re-ripping .... surely?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven