Battery issues? You're just paranoid

GreenLeaf182

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I am only getting around 9 hours battery life, I don't even use my phone that much. Everything is turned off and only things running in the background are weather app and batter life app. Thinking of returning it to get a S3.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I think WP8 needs a good apps that shows us the detailed power consumption ... then we do not need to guess who is using all that power ... even better, if a such apps shows the running processes too (like a process manager) ... then there is no need to guess any longer ...

By the way, I think that hard reset is just a "fix" to kill some process, some is eating your battery - a such process might be GPS (drive or location - yeah, many apps will not ask your permission to open and use GPS, some is a real battery eater), skype, whatsapp, gmail OR just resetting some settings, like high display brightness back to normal level, etc. ... and one other thing, when your cp becomes warm or hot, it is usually a sign that there is some process stressing CPU of that phone ...

PBNkapamilya

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I think there was a thread somewhere here that although at first Lumia 920 users will experience battery issues, but if you fully drain the battery and charge it fully, the phone "magically" gets better battery consumption. Try it out.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, there's definitely a software bug causing drain issues. No, you're NOT paranoid. It will be easily fixed by a software update, of this I have no doubt.

It's not NFC. It's not background Apps. Sorry to disappoint those benefiting from a blatant placebo effect, but it's true. I've been testing all week (and have posted on the Bugs/Defects thread on the matter). A soft reboot of the phone will "fix" the issue for a while, but the effect seems to be that the radios are shutting down or going into low power states properly, hence why rebooting fixes it for a while.

It's also happening on the 8X too, and the details too specifically match what we're seeing... 10-20% loss/hour (depending on usage during that hour), like clockwork.

For example, here's a summary of my own experience this week. I was traveling from Youngstown, Ohio to Lafayette, Indiana on a business trip. I used GPS (Drive+) for the entire trip over on Sunday as well as navigating around on Monday and Tuesday. Absolutely NO issues whatsoever the entire time. No Google accounts, NFC on. Wi-Fi on but not connected. Bluetooth off. Location services on. Skype and Facebook chat logged on all day.

Wednesday based on forum reports, I made some changes to test. That night I went to see Wreck-It Ralph. My phone went from 100% to 76% over the course of the movie, but NFC was off and so was Location services and Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. I was on LTE data. I had NO apps running and had explicitly blocked all background apps for the evening to see. Curious, so I let it charge back up overnight.

Thursday, I had the drainage issue all day. Off the charger at 7:30am precisely, and by lunch it was down to like 65%, and by 5:00pm it was down around 30%. At 7:30pm, I went to dinner and it completely died on me. Around the 12:30 mark (after lunch), I put the phone in airplane mode and enabled Battery Saver with only LTE data enabled and shutdown all apps. So at that point, it should have been doing anything. When I put it back on the charger at 8:00pm, I rebooted, re-enabled everything to normal states.

Friday morning at 6:00am, I left Indiana to return home. Now I kept it on the car charger for the ride home, but obviously it rebooted from the shutdown on Thursday night, and I used Drive+ for the ride home. I took it off the charger at 12:10pm when I arrived back home, and as of midnight last night when I went to bed, it was only down to 67%. In other words, it was back to normal.

I did use Drive+. I had NFC enabled. I had no Google account on the phone. So again I say, either power management in WP8 has a nasty flaw, or the batteries really do just need a full drain, recharge, and reboot... that latter of which seems unlikely given battery technology.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think there was a thread somewhere here that although at first Lumia 920 users will experience battery issues, but if you fully drain the battery and charge it fully, the phone "magically" gets better battery consumption. Try it out.

I think it's placebo and what "magically" fixes it is the fact that it gets power-cycle rebooted to unglitch the radios that are stuck on. :)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Ya, I am only getting around 9 hours battery life, I don't even use my phone that much. Everything is turned off and only things running in the background are weather app and batter life app. Thinking of returning it to get a S3.

I wouldn't bother returning it just yet. I'm sure it'll get a firmware update fix to resolve it, and in the mean time you can try the full discharge/reboot/charge fix when the issue occurs.

I think WP8 needs a good apps that shows us the detailed power consumption ... then we do not need to guess who is using all that power ... even better, if a such apps shows the running processes too (like a process manager) ... then there is no need to guess any longer.

I agree. We wouldn't have to guess at all if we had a process manager that showed exactly what services or apps and radios were using power.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism